Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : Helix dungeon (One level hold)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
komachi
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 158
IP: Logged

File: Helix dungeon.drh (35.8 KB)
Downloaded 59 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Helix dungeon (+2)  
Hi, this is a hold with a single level 100 rooms.
It's already done and should be possible reach the end,
it's very easy in the start and progressively more difficult.

Thanks for playing and all the feedback is welcome!.
5/9/14

-Added the ending and credits.

[Last edited by komachi at 09-05-2014 01:26 PM]
07-14-2014 at 02:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1300
icon Re: Helix dungeon (+1)  
Heh, that's pretty good - what I've played anyway. You've got a few places where locking doors can be used to evade monsters - 4S2W, for instance. Additionally, the script in 5S seems to work oddly, as I only need to kill 4 of them and sometimes it doesn't activate at all. Try "Wait while entity NPC...".

Oh, and the multiplier in 5S4W is way too high. I can't advance any more.

[Last edited by Someone Else at 07-15-2014 10:47 PM]
07-15-2014 at 09:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
komachi
Someone Else wrote:
Heh, that's pretty good - what I've played anyway. You've got a few places where locking doors can be used to evade monsters - 4S2W, for instance. Additionally, the script in 5S seems to work oddly, as I only need to kill 4 of them and sometimes it doesn't activate at all. Try "Wait while entity NPC...".

Oh, and the multiplier in 5S4W is way too high. I can't advance any more.
I don't undestand clearly how can evade monsters by closing doors :?.
The script in 5S is solved, thanks!.
You need two skeleton keys to open both gates in 5S4W. I will add some scrolls in places to give a direction to where you need to go or what need do.
07-16-2014 at 11:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1300
Ah. I see. You can close doors (default: '.') and then walk on top of them as long as you don't step off of closed doors.

That is, once you are on a closed door, you can walk on to other closed door spaces. If you want to get a feel for it, my RPG hold Paycheck plays with that a bit.

[Last edited by Someone Else at 07-16-2014 11:35 PM]
07-16-2014 at 11:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Gordius
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 91
icon Re: Helix dungeon (+2)  
The stairs in 3S2E take you back to a staircase you've already been to. If that's deliberate, I don't remember being unable to backtrack and it's really not worth it for the convenience of getting back out quickly.
07-22-2014 at 12:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
komachi
Gordius wrote:
The stairs in 3S2E take you back to a staircase you've already been to. If that's deliberate, I don't remember being unable to backtrack and it's really not worth it for the convenience of getting back out quickly.

That's right. Something has messed up the stairs since I've only changed the description :?.
07-22-2014 at 04:39 PM
Gordius
Yup, the stairs are working now. But when I reenter the Entrance from the east along the pit path, I suddenly lose 80 DEF, which is devastating. If that's intentional, a) you're going to need to convince me it's a good idea, and b) you should warn people. I'll finish up everything else I can before I explore up that way. There's not a whole lot of value there anyway.
07-22-2014 at 08:59 PM
komachi
icon Re: Helix dungeon (0)  
Gordius wrote:
Yup, the stairs are working now. But when I reenter the Entrance from the east along the pit path, I suddenly lose 80 DEF, which is devastating. If that's intentional, a) you're going to need to convince me it's a good idea, and b) you should warn people. I'll finish up everything else I can before I explore up that way. There's not a whole lot of value there anyway.

That's isn't intentional, two questions: you only lose DEF? You have visited the Entrance before?.
I didn't touch the script, and even more, the script don't has restart. (and of course is the only place where change stats).

07-23-2014 at 11:03 AM
Gordius
komachi wrote:
That's isn't intentional, two questions: you only lose DEF? You have visited the Entrance before?.
I didn't touch the script, and even more, the script don't has restart. (and of course is the only place where change stats).

I've only visited the Entrance previously via the hallways, not via the pit. And I only lose DEF, no ATK. What is the script supposed to do? I don't recall a script doing anything there when I first arrived.
07-23-2014 at 12:20 PM
komachi
Gordius wrote:

I've only visited the Entrance previously via the hallways, not via the pit. And I only lose DEF, no ATK. What is the script supposed to do? I don't recall a script doing anything there when I first arrived.

The script is:

Imperative Hide stat changes
Player role Gel baby
Set var _HP = 600
Set var _ATK = 50
set var _DEF = 35

It's a bug or so :?. I'm going to reach again. But the first time I didn't have any problem.
EDIT: I did it and the DEF isn't changed, that's very strange.

[Last edited by komachi at 07-23-2014 09:19 PM]
07-23-2014 at 08:55 PM
Gordius
I've done a little more testing and now it's changing my DEF to 35 no matter where I reenter the Entrance from. My guess is that updating to a new hold version garbled my machine's understanding of how the script had run. I'll start a new game and see whether it happens again when I get to this stage.
07-24-2014 at 10:24 PM
Suwako
Rank Points: 145
That bug didn't happen to me, I'm playing with the 1.2.0.56 version, started playing yesterday, a few comments:

Nice Work:thumbsup, this is really a great hold, altough it's a little confusing for me.

I suggest you to put an autosave at every area at the start, sometimes I had to restart from a far save because what there were in the area were a stairs to the hall that give no reward. Maybe it's also my problem because I don't save too much.

The cell arena script is weird, sometimes work good and sometimes not, here is a better one, i think:

"Imperative Restart Script on entrance"
"Wait while entity is NPC (4,2)-(13,9)" The area of the arena
"Build Explosion at (9,6)-(9,6)"
"Build Tunnel South at (9,6)-(9,6)"

The north stairs of 4N 3E should go to 4E instead 5S.

I'm right now starting the second part, these last comments were by playing it directly in editor.

07-25-2014 at 10:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
komachi
New version:

-Add atmosphere to the hold.
-Solved unintended things (I.E. 1S,3W no longer can use the closed yellow door to pass through the closed black door).
-Changed some keys by life potions.
-Solved the arena script.
-Added some autosaves in specific places as Suwako suggested it.

there should not be more problems with the stairs location.
I will need to restart from the start to know that the last boss is possible because I couldn't with him. However is possible kill the alternative boss and conquer the hold.

[Last edited by komachi at 08-07-2014 02:32 PM]
08-07-2014 at 02:32 PM
komachi
Hi again!. I tested the hold again, solved some things. This will be the last version (I hope).
It should be possible kill both bosses. And shouldn't have a high quantity of keys in the end.

-Reduced the keys needed for the brain boss.
-The main boss is the soul and the alternative the brain because I think it's harder than the soul.
-Deleted platform in the brain den.

I'll up the last anyone edit version. In one week or so. I'll up the definitive version and submit to HA if there is no problems.
08-31-2014 at 10:54 PM
komachi
Last version updated, adding the ending and the credits and updated to HA.
09-05-2014 at 01:31 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
It seems like the green door at the east edge of Thrice North Thrice East (with an east-facing force arrow on top of it) closes again when the player re-enters the room. Am I right in assuming there's a script that's doing this?

If so, you should really warn the player that that's going to happen, or redesign the room so that they're forced to step on a pressure plate that closes that door, so that it's more obvious that this happens. As it stands now I'm going to have to re-plan how to tackle that part of the game since I can't freely use that path.

(The rest of the hold is pretty neat, by the way - I like how keys are plentiful, but health is not, so optimizing for health and spending keys on health is important.)

[Last edited by Chaco at 09-10-2014 04:35 AM]
09-10-2014 at 04:34 AM
komachi
Chaco wrote:
It seems like the green door at the east edge of Thrice North Thrice East (with an east-facing force arrow on top of it) closes again when the player re-enters the room. Am I right in assuming there's a script that's doing this?

If so, you should really warn the player that that's going to happen, or redesign the room so that they're forced to step on a pressure plate that closes that door, so that it's more obvious that this happens. As it stands now I'm going to have to re-plan how to tackle that part of the game since I can't freely use that path.

(The rest of the hold is pretty neat, by the way - I like how keys are plentiful, but health is not, so optimizing for health and spending keys on health is important.)

It's a script. I thought I wrote a scroll or something to warn that.
09-10-2014 at 10:23 AM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
komachi wrote:

It's a script. I thought I wrote a scroll or something to warn that.

There's no scroll and no warning. Since the script runs when the player returns to the room, if you check the mini-map the green door will look open. It's only when you actually return to the room that the green door will close again.

09-10-2014 at 07:42 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : Helix dungeon (One level hold)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com