Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Stunned brains (Unintuitive behaviour)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
The spitemaster
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 354
IP: Logged
icon Stunned brains (0)  
If you stun a brain, the monsters in the room continue to act as brained. If the brain is truly directing them, then on the turn you heavy stun and the turn after the monsters should move unbrained and then just interrupted for one turn with the light stun.

I wish that man would stay away
07-12-2014 at 09:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bomber50
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 872
icon Re: Stunned brains (0)  
I don't think this is a bug because the TSS hold already uses a room with a stun weapon and a brain.

If this were to be changed..

Click here to view the secret text

07-12-2014 at 10:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
The spitemaster
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 354
However, this is not in fact a feature of that room. The same solution will still apply.

I wish that man would stay away
07-12-2014 at 11:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Watcher
Rank Points: 902
icon Re: Stunned brains (+1)  
There's already a few changes in the patch that will break demos, so I don't think that's an overriding concern right now. In any case, there's definitely a bug here. Either stunned brains should be nonfunctional, with monsters reverting to unbrained behaviour, or brains should not get the visual effect indicating stunning so it'll be clear to the player that they're always active. I think the first solution would be preferable, mostly because there are no other monsters that are immune to stunning.

07-12-2014 at 11:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1129
Not only is it more consistent, but the puzzle potential that it would open up is immense. I'm for it.

07-12-2014 at 11:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Trickster
Rank Points: 662
icon Re: Stunned brains (+2)  
I would like to take this moment to say that DROD is the only game in which I would expect players to demand that the rules of the game change for a single turn because a man wielding a pickaxe bumped into a giant brain.

That being said, I would expect nothing less.

Official Hold Progress

Favorite Unofficial Holds (I need to play more!)

My Holds

07-13-2014 at 12:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
Ah, hmm...well, okay...

Anyone on the dev team object to making this change?

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
07-13-2014 at 03:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Monsters should be affected only if all brains are stunned.

07-13-2014 at 09:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Trickster
Jatopian wrote:
Monsters should be affected only if all brains are stunned.
I'm pretty sure we're all imagining a room with mimics and pickaxes and brains and one roach now... :D

Official Hold Progress

My Holds

07-13-2014 at 10:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
This sounds so confusing. I, paradoxically, dislike making such niche rules for our beloved niche game.

07-15-2014 at 02:28 AM
Trickster
mrimer wrote:
This sounds so confusing. I, paradoxically, dislike making such niche rules for our beloved niche game.
I kinda agree, but I don't think it's confusing. What's been described is what I would intuit.

Official Hold Progress

My Holds

07-15-2014 at 02:35 AM
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
mrimer wrote:
Anyone on the dev team object to making this change?
Not me! It seems logical.

07-15-2014 at 02:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
mrimer
Okay, you guys asked for it. When big, bad Larry makes you cry, don't come running to me :P

07-15-2014 at 02:38 AM
karlpopper
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 263
Edit: off topic moved to Feature Requests board

[Last edited by karlpopper at 07-16-2014 07:37 PM : off topic]
07-15-2014 at 03:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Watcher
Rank Points: 902
mrimer wrote:
This sounds so confusing.

I think it makes sense. We already have a situation where a brain is inactive, namely when Beethro is invisible and the brain is outside detection range. This change just adds stunning as another condition that makes a brain inactive.

07-15-2014 at 10:47 PM
blorx1
Rank Points: 920
This brings up an interesting question though. If the player is invisible and stuns a brain inside of its range, will it still alert all the monsters? I assume it wouldn't, but who knows.

07-15-2014 at 10:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Watcher wrote:
I think it makes sense. We already have a situation where a brain is inactive, namely when Beethro is invisible and the brain is outside detection range. This change just adds stunning as another condition that makes a brain inactive.
Okay, I buy that.
This brings up an interesting question though. If the player is invisible and stuns a brain inside of its range, will it still alert all the monsters? I assume it wouldn't, but who knows.
Wow...how can a player stun a brain outside of the invisibility threshold?

07-15-2014 at 11:40 PM
blorx1
Rank Points: 920
The question is about having the brain inside your invisibility threshold while it is stunned. I know it wouldn't have any monsters path to you, and it's presumable that it wouldn't alert them either, but I'm just wondering if they would.

07-15-2014 at 11:46 PM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1300
You can use a mimic to stun it. Or a clone, I guess. Or even a guard or a stalwart with a stick.
07-15-2014 at 11:59 PM
Trickster
The simplest way (w.r.t. architecture) would be a tunnel.

Official Hold Progress

My Holds

07-16-2014 at 03:06 AM
Kallor
Rank Points: 277
I'm gonna agree that the proposed behavior sounds logical!

07-16-2014 at 08:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
Personally, I'm of the opinion that a single stunned brain interrupting all brained movement seems fun. It could lead to puzzles like where you need to run around stunning brains every few turns to keep a roach in a force arrow loop, while maneuvering the brains onto a pressure plate or something. Requiring every brain to be stunned for this is hugely limiting in terms of puzzle potential because you are then limited in terms of number of brains.

For flawlessly consistency, the stunned brain disrupts the whole brain network by feeding nonsense into it or something.
07-16-2014 at 08:55 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Trickster
coppro wrote:
Personally, I'm of the opinion that a single stunned brain interrupting all brained movement seems fun.
It may have more puzzle potential, but it's not as intuitive. At some point the behavior of the element needs to match expectations without contrivance.

Official Hold Progress

My Holds

07-16-2014 at 09:09 PM
Moo
Rank Points: 224
coppro wrote: while maneuvering the brains onto a pressure plate
:huh

But yeah, stunning multiple brains at once does seem a bit limiting... Stunning one could actually stun all... Or maybe even have some "magic"... Normally you can only stun a single one and all need to be stunned for it to have an effect, but use a power token and hitting one then stuns them all ;)
07-16-2014 at 09:10 PM
Trickster
Er, also after re-reading the initial post, I don't see why the creature movement would differ for two turns. The brain should only be stunned on the turn you hit it.

Official Hold Progress

My Holds

07-16-2014 at 09:12 PM
lordatog
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 51
Er, also after re-reading the initial post, I don't see why the creature movement would differ for two turns. The brain should only be stunned on the turn you hit it.

To match the behavior of other creatures. If you push something, it's stunned for that turn and the next turn. If you try to push something but it can't move, it's just stunned for that turn.
07-16-2014 at 10:14 PM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1300
I do like Moo's power token idea... it combines the logic of all brains need to be stunned with the adaptability of coppro's suggestion.
07-16-2014 at 11:32 PM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
icon Re: Stunned brains (+1)  
For what it's worth, stunning tarstuff mothers prevents them from spawning but unstunned mothers of the same type continue to spawn normally. This makes a lot of sense and it'd be flawlessly consistent if brains also worked like this.

Also you can make coppro's sample puzzle with orbs already, so maybe there's not that much need for together-stunned brains. In fact, if there was a puzzle where the goal is to take out multiple brains and the room contains a stun weapon, it would be disadvantageous if reaching one brain makes it possible to disable all of them.
07-17-2014 at 01:28 AM
Trickster
lordatog wrote:
To match the behavior of other creatures. If you push something, it's stunned for that turn and the next turn. If you try to push something but it can't move, it's just stunned for that turn.
Okay, that works. But if you push a brain against an obstacle it should only be one turn.

Official Hold Progress

My Holds

07-17-2014 at 01:37 AM
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4590
lordatog wrote:
If you push a queen on turn 29, she loses two turns of movement but still spawns on turn 30. I would expect brains to behave similarly.

[Last edited by Nuntar at 07-17-2014 01:38 AM]
07-17-2014 at 01:37 AM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Stunned brains (Unintuitive behaviour)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com