Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : A Journey Through Time (Time Travel Puzzles)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
bomber50
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 872
IP: Logged

File: A Journey Through Time.hold (9 KB)
Downloaded 54 times.
License: Public Domain
icon A Journey Through Time (+4)  
This is a brand new hold I cooked up in the last day or so. All the puzzles involve Temporal Split tokens. I estimate the difficulty overall at Easy/Medium.

There's also a small story (with two different endings) and a challenge for you to go through.

I hope you enjoy it, and I await your feedback! :)

[Last edited by bomber50 at 02-23-2015 07:34 PM]
06-25-2014 at 11:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bomber50
icon Re: A Journey Through Time (+2)  
A new version that fixes unintended solutions in 2S and 4S. 3S2E totally changed. 2 new rooms added.

[Last edited by bomber50 at 06-26-2014 02:49 AM]
06-26-2014 at 01:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bomber50
icon Re: A Journey Through Time (+1)  
Yet another new version, this time fixing unintended solutions in 5S1E and 3S3E. As well, a challenge has been added to 3S2E (again!) and 1S2E is now a tad bit harder. Plus, the story is now finished!

I'm hopeful that all the rooms now only have the solutions I intended they have.

[Last edited by bomber50 at 06-26-2014 06:00 PM]
06-26-2014 at 04:41 PM
bomber50
V6: Put "Show Exit Level" on, which was accidentally turned off. Also fixed a typo.

Did anyone actually enjoy this hold?

[Last edited by bomber50 at 07-20-2014 03:18 PM]
07-20-2014 at 03:17 PM
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4591

File: AJTT An Old Tomb 3S Victory.demo (1 KB)
Downloaded 42 times.
License: Public Domain
Of course! I'll comment more when I've solved all the rooms, but this is a lovely "introduction to what you can do with time tokens" hold.

1E: Line should be "I thought they were only rumors...."
2S1E: You can't really toggle the tunnels an infinite number of times. Perhaps "as many times as you like". How about adding a challenge for only toggling them once?
3S: My solution may be unintended. I've attached a demo.
3S2E: Spelling: "Horde", not "Hoard".
3S1E: How about a checkpoint in the middle, to make it easier to save a position for restoring to after conquering side rooms?

4S1E is still where I'm stuck :( I just can't see how to make everything happen against the very tight timer, and it's a little frustrating because I have to go down that winding passage every time I have an idea and want to try out whether it works.

[Last edited by Nuntar at 07-20-2014 06:51 PM]
07-20-2014 at 05:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
azb
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 460
icon Re: A Journey Through Time (0)  
I don't know if Horde is American English or British English, but I'm certain "Horde" and "Hoard" depend on a dialect, like "colour" and "color".

07-20-2014 at 09:12 PM
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3408
azb wrote:
I don't know if Horde is American English or British English, but I'm certain "Horde" and "Hoard" depend on a dialect, like "colour" and "color".
Nope, just a very common misuse. A horde is "a teeming crowd or throng", a hoard is "a supply or fund stored up and often hidden away".

Only interchangeable in the case of an architect stashing a whole bunch of roaches away for later use. Which I suppose could happen.

07-20-2014 at 10:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1129
So a level based around releasing groups of monsters from enclosures could be called the Hoard To Horde Conversion Facility.

07-20-2014 at 10:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
lopsidation
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 176
I'm enjoying this! A lot of the rooms are obviously impossible, until you get the trick. That's my favorite kind of room :)

2S1E: FYI, you could solve this even if the orb didn't affect the tunnels.
3S1E: Neat trick!
4S: This is my favorite room so far. Before solving this room, I thought a trapdoor+time token was just a silly trap.
4S1E is a nice lynchpin. A hint for Nuntar: the timer isn't that tight. It could be several dozen moves shorter, and the room would still be solvable.

I'm stuck on 3S2E (the big roach room). I think I know what to do, there's just too many roaches! I don't know whether I'm missing a key idea, or whether I just haven't tried hard enough.

[Last edited by lopsidation at 07-21-2014 02:24 AM]
07-21-2014 at 02:21 AM
bomber50
I'm glad both of you are enjoying it!

Another version to fix some more things. I've fixed the unintended solution 2S1E, which was a particularly clever and very interesting way to use time clones!

[Last edited by bomber50 at 07-21-2014 02:53 AM]
07-21-2014 at 02:53 AM
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
Can I steal that idea Pinnacle?
07-21-2014 at 04:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
Hoards Horde Hoard Horde

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 07-21-2014 09:20 PM]
07-21-2014 at 09:19 PM
bomber50
V9 with just a few changes!

2S1E: Fixed an unintended solution that would have appeared in 5.2.
3S: Added an open red gate that should make the room ever so slightly more tricky.

At this stage, I think I'm ready to submit to HA. I'm a little worried that 4S1E and 5S1E could have some sort of US. Some victory demos to watch for USes would be appreciated. I'll probably submit in a day or two if nothing else comes up.

EDIT: Re-uploaded to fix an oversight with 2S1E

[Last edited by bomber50 at 02-22-2015 08:08 PM]
02-22-2015 at 07:32 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : A Journey Through Time (Time Travel Puzzles)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com