Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Chain movement (Help)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
The spitemaster
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 354
IP: Logged
icon Chain movement (0)  
Please can someone go over how exactly the gentryii chain moves with it's priorities and logic? That would be much appreciated.

I wish that man would stay away
06-22-2014 at 06:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 4596
icon Re: Chain movement (+1)  
This is just what I've worked out from observation, so I've probably missed a lot of details :P

First, the head moves like a roach, except that a move is treated as blocked if it can't find a valid move for the entire chain. Then, if the head is moving so it's no longer adjacent to the first chain square, that square will move to follow the head, and so on. This usually leads to the gentryii gradually straightening itself and evening out kinks.

If the head doesn't move, sometimes kinks will straighten by themselves, sometimes not. For instance, suppose these two gentryii have their heads blocked by wall to the east, and Beethro is directly east. The first will straighten itself out, the second will not.
____  __G
    \/
__     __G
  |_/\/

06-22-2014 at 12:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
icon Re: Chain movement (+2)  
Nuntar wrote:
If the head doesn't move, sometimes kinks will straighten by themselves, sometimes not. For instance, suppose these two gentryii have their heads blocked by wall to the east, and Beethro is directly east. The first will straighten itself out, the second will not.
____  __G
    \/
__     __G
  |_/\/

The reason for that is in the first case the Gentryii is already at its full length, so it is blocked not by the wall but by the chain, in which case it pulls the chain and it straightens (bless the non-euclidean space).

In the second case the chain is not completely unrolled so it is the wall which blocks the Gentryii.

06-22-2014 at 12:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
icon Re: Chain movement (+1)  
Als, to really simplify the mechanics: the chain tries to move as little as possible. When Gentryii pulls the chain, it checks from the head till the tip of the tail and tries to move as few links as possible.

06-22-2014 at 02:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Chain movement (Help)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com