Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : A Journey Of Wits (My First Hold)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
abe10
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 18
IP: Logged

File: A Journey Of Wits.hold (16.5 KB)
Downloaded 54 times.
License: Public Domain
icon A Journey Of Wits (0)  
It WILL be mind numbingly tough, just to let you know. What do you all think??

[Last edited by abe10 at 04-29-2014 03:57 AM]
04-29-2014 at 03:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1645
icon Re: A Journey Of Wits (+2)  
I...uh. Mind numbing, yes, 'tough', no. I think you may have conflated 'incredibly grindy and tedious' with 'difficult'.

I liked the War Holds more than literally anything and I refuse to finish this. It's okay to have tar in a room and not a black tar gate. This is literally an okay thing. You can do this. It's okay. You're allowed. Nobody will yell at you.
04-29-2014 at 05:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
abe10

File: A Journey Of Wits.hold (16.4 KB)
Downloaded 34 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: A Journey Of Wits (-1)  
I do not understand your complaint. I get what you are trying to say, but I do not see how it applies to this hold. I Think I got it and fixed it, but I might be wrong. Anyways, I also improved the lake room. Otherwise, I think it is golden. Please keep your ideas coming.

04-29-2014 at 05:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jacob
Rank Points: 3741
icon Re: A Journey Of Wits (0)  
abe10 wrote:
I do not see how it applies to this hold.
1S has a ton of tarstuff and a black door. Clearing all the tarstuff is not much fun.

04-29-2014 at 09:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
abe10
Au Contraire. You are neglecting the many Fegundos available for you to use. As for 5S6E, I admit that it probable IS too much tarstuff for one room. But Hey! Now that I made it, you or anyone else can toy around with it.

04-29-2014 at 09:38 PM
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3406
abe10 wrote:
But Hey! Now that I made it, you or anyone else can toy around with it.
Of course, that doesn't help if you decide to resubmit to HA. Also, if you agree that 5S6E has too much tarstuff, why not fix that?

[Last edited by Dischorran at 04-29-2014 10:54 PM]
04-29-2014 at 10:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
abe10
Hmmmmmm, How about a bomb maze? Find the right bomb to ignite them all AND avoid being killed in the Process!!

04-29-2014 at 11:13 PM
Jacob
Rank Points: 3741
I would advise you to not submit to HA until at least one person has played through and commented on the hold.

04-29-2014 at 11:30 PM
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4576
icon Re: A Journey Of Wits (+2)  
I've played it through.

It was not as bad as I'd expected after Banjooie's comment. But it could do with a lot of improvement. Also, as it's so small, I'd suggest you hold off on submitting it, and design some more rooms, and then the less interesting ones can be scrapped altogether.

There are a large number of typographical errors, and I don't have time to fix them for you at the moment. Please have another look over all the text in the hold.

Comments on individual rooms:

1S: I ignored the black door and fegundos and decided to clear the room first, and it turned out a nice challenge that way. It needs some checkpoints in the main level area rather than all clustered at the top edge. As Jacob said, dropping the black door is tedious. I strongly suggest removing the black door -- and personally, I would also remove the power token, disarm token and all the fegundos.

4S5E: Long and trivial, which makes it tedious. The player is completely safe while you kill everything with the fegundo, and the force arrow maze lengthens the process without adding any puzzle interest. Even if you don't use the fegundo, it's trivial to kill everything while the force arrows protect you. I would discard this room.

4S6E: Easy mud-clearing room, but not too lengthy. You could make this more interesting by removing a few walls so that Beethro has mud babies coming from all sides as he tries to progress.

5S6E: Floor that looks like oremites but isn't is just silly. Other than that, another okay room, quick and easy. Not "too much tarstuff" as you don't have to clear it all in this room :P

6S6E: Also an okay room, easier than I expected on first glance.

7S6E: Okay, but checkpoint placement is weird. Putting one on a pit (when there's no platform) is pointless, and there is a need for one in the top-right area and one around the middle. Again, I didn't use the fegundos, and I think it's more interesting that way -- though they serve a purpose partially blocking the golems, so in this case I would remove the power token but keep the fegundos (or replace them with brains).

[Last edited by Nuntar at 04-30-2014 04:46 PM]
04-30-2014 at 01:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Nuntar your patience is literally legendary
04-30-2014 at 04:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
komachi
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 158
icon Re: A Journey Of Wits (+1)  
I played the version on the 1st post.
I like clean tarstuff in a room, but it's very tedious for many players, so try avoid do high amount of tarstuff and a black gate in a room.

In 4S4E I don't know the purpose of the disarm token because you can use it twice in order to get back the sword.

In 6S6E if you are in the shallow water, the nests don't spawn water skippers. I only need to use one clone to kill all the nests and use the main Beethro in (7,1) every 10 turns to avoid spawn a legion of waterskippers.

[Last edited by komachi at 04-30-2014 09:21 AM]
04-30-2014 at 09:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
abe10
How Exactly is that crazy War series better than my short and open hold? By open, I mean that there are not many walls inside each room. The seep\mud room would have to be the only exception, and most walls there are destructible.

05-04-2014 at 01:10 AM
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1126
The difference is that the War series requires strategy. This, to be honest, doesn't.

05-04-2014 at 01:58 AM
Banjooie
The War holds require strategy and are about crazy horde management.

This is about your willingness to clear incredibly long, tedious rooms that often can't even hurt you.
05-05-2014 at 07:57 AM
abe10
WELL. I give up on this one for now. I have a new hold I am working on, "A Passage Of Riddles," and I believe this one will be Much better. Check It Out!!

06-19-2014 at 03:03 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : A Journey Of Wits (My First Hold)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com