Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Within Reach (of ordinary people (I hope))
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
blorx1
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 920
IP: Logged

File: Within Reach.hold (7.2 KB)
Downloaded 64 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Within Reach (+2)  
Here's some more rooms salvaged from my sprawling mess of stuff. Most of these are probably between 5 and 7ish brains (expect the mastery room which may be a bit higher). I haven't really bothered to come up with a good name for anything, but I'll post it.

As usual, all the rooms are possible, but a couple aren't working the way I'd like them to be. I may hold off from submitting this until TSS comes out and then make some more rooms using TSS elements (say, to warm up with them as elements).

[Last edited by blorx1 at 04-27-2014 03:53 PM]
04-26-2014 at 06:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1304
icon Re: Within Reach (+2)  
Awesome hold so far! I've only been able to beat a few so far, but I'm enjoying it quite a bit. It's definitely what I need to get in shape for TSS, though.

Basement 1S1E: Was this supposed to be possible without using the tunnel? I quite enjoyed it as is.
04-27-2014 at 12:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
blorx1
icon Re: Within Reach (0)  
Someone Else wrote:
Basement 1S1E: Was this supposed to be possible without using the tunnel? I quite enjoyed it as is.

I'm glad you're enjoying the hold. I intended the tunnel to be used (mostly since it isn't there in 2S1E), but since it's possible to get both goblins into the west section, I have a fix that should work (I'll upload a change later). It probably won't change the difficulty much from what I intended, which is fortunate.

04-27-2014 at 12:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Red-XIII
Rank Points: 623

File: WR Basement 2S2E Victory.demo (1.1 KB)
Downloaded 37 times.
License: Public Domain
As usual, every hold you create is brilliant and full of linchpins!
I solved only a few rooms but I got the general idea for all the remaining ones.

I loved the "Heatstroke" section, (2E, 1S2E and 2S2E) but I don't think 2S2E is the hardest one, I think the intended solution is using mud babies to gain moves (considering the scroll about inverting the room) but I still attached my demo, in case this is intended I believe 1S2E is the hardest one.

About the South section, I managed to solve 2S and 4S which are way more easier than 1S and 3S IMO.

I also think that more checkpoints (expecially in the South section) might be useful.

04-27-2014 at 01:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
blorx1
icon Re: Within Reach (+1)  
Thanks for more comments. The solution for 2S2E is not the intended one, which is probably why it seems workable. I've made a change that should enforce my solution. I've also rearranged the rooms in the southern section since the old 1S was probably the hardest of them all. Since many of the south line of rooms are pretty trivial, I may want to shorten the length of the chambers (probably for the decoy and invis potion rooms) to force a little more thought into the solving.

I've uploaded a new version with these changes and the changes to 1S1E.

04-27-2014 at 03:52 PM
blorx1
I know it's only been a couple of weeks and I happen to be posting this right around finals time, but I'm just wondering how many people are still playing this. One of my biggest goals with this hold is accessibility so I'd like to hear from as many players as possible.

05-10-2014 at 05:34 AM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
I've been playing through this hold over the past couple of days, and so far it looks pretty good - although I'd recommend you rename the hold so it doesn't contain any reference to its supposed easy difficulty. Otherwise it might seem a little holier-than-thou: "Oh, here's an offering to the less skilled DROD players". And this is by no means a trivial or relaxing hold - so far all the rooms require some pretty thorough analysis of the kind normally required for tricky DROD rooms.

Anyway, so far my favorite rooms that I've solved are probably 1E and 1N1W, since it's fairly evident what needs to be done in them, but the tactical maneuvers required to set things up are a bit involved and fun.

For the rooms 1S through 4S, I'd recommend you create a large circle of normal floor tiles embedded in the East wall, so it's easier to tell at a glance which of those rooms have been solved and which are still unsolved.

I'll have more thorough comments when I've solved more of these rooms.

05-11-2014 at 05:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
blorx1
icon Re: Within Reach (+1)  
Thanks for the comments.
For the hot tile filled rooms, I've fixed that in my version and will upload the changes when something more important comes up. I always seem to forget stuff like that in my rooms.

As for the title, I didn't exactly intend the hold to be *easy*, so much as I meant for it to be easier than the rest of my stuff (and I think it is). The difficulty I'm aiming for is something that doesn't make the HA's use demos for every room and that someone like Tahnan could complete without complaining in chat.
Considering that, while I would like the name to reflect the fact that it is considerably more approachable than the other stuff I make, I'll probably find an alternate name and let players judge the difficulty for themselves.

05-15-2014 at 11:51 PM
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3407
Complaining is just how Tahnan lets us know he's alive. As for HAs needing demos, we're lazy and going to use them regardless.

05-16-2014 at 04:29 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Within Reach (of ordinary people (I hope))
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com