Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Search with multiple words not working (Suggest outsourcing to google)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
karlpopper
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 263
IP: Logged
icon Search with multiple words not working (+2)  
Today I wanted to find a thread that I remembered has the title:

"You know you play too much DROD if..."

I was pretty sure about the sub-phrase "too much DROD"
but when I typed that into the search box without the quotes it returned nada.

So I dropped out to Google and used:
site:forum.caravelgames.com too much drod
And immediately found what I was looking for. Whilst it would be nice if you fixed the forum search facility, a cheaper option might be to offer a box which does a custom Google search, and embed it into your site search page.

That way you can get all the Googley goodness.

04-23-2014 at 07:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
icon Re: Search with multiple words not working (+1)  
One reason I haven't integrated google search is it can't find any posts on private boards, and we have quite a few of those. I'm also not sure how frequently google crawls the forum, so our own search will be more up to date.

I'm not sure off the top of my head why your search failed, but if you search for "too much DROD" with the quotes, it does find it.

04-24-2014 at 02:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
blorx1
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 920
icon Re: Search with multiple words not working (0)  
Wasn't there an issue with search not being able to do terms that were three characters or less at one point? I'd heard that had been fixed, but this sounds pretty similar to the issue.

04-24-2014 at 02:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
There was. Looking at the code it seems like it should handle <=3 letter matches fine, but it's obviously not. I'll take a look at it when I get a chance.

04-24-2014 at 07:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
karlpopper
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 263
Schik wrote:
One reason I haven't integrated google search is it can't find any posts on private boards, and we have quite a few of those. I'm also not sure how frequently google crawls the forum, so our own search will be more up to date.

I'm not sure off the top of my head why your search failed, but if you search for "too much DROD" with the quotes, it does find it.

I think you've thrown the baby out with the bathwater by skipping Google for this reason alone: many folk only want the public info.

I could swear that earlier something told me not to use
special characters in the search, but now I think I'm seeing
a plain grep-like search if the term is quoted, is that so?

04-24-2014 at 08:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
TripleM
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1373
icon Re: Search with multiple words not working (+1)  
karlpopper wrote: I think you've thrown the baby out with the bathwater by skipping Google for this reason alone: many folk only want the public info.

I always use Google to search the forum anyway; it's not a big deal to me whether it's available at the top of the page or not. In some sense it comes down to; how many people are smart enough to play DROD and not smart enough to know how to google site search? ;)
04-24-2014 at 10:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Search with multiple words not working (Suggest outsourcing to google)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com