Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : Ten-Minutes distraction (Short distraction)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Suwako
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 145
IP: Logged

File: Ten-minutes distraction.drh (5.2 KB)
Downloaded 64 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Ten-Minutes distraction (+5)  
Based on another standard DROD hold: Twenty-minutes distraction, I did this.

Some days ago I though about to make a DROD:RPG hold in a hour, and the rules were that it had to be make in a hour (test included), that had to be 3 levels, and that it could be simple.

This hold have them, three levels, simple, fun (or at least is what I think) and made in just 45 minutes.

Enjoy.

04-02-2014 at 10:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Red-XIII
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 623
icon Re: Ten-Minutes distraction (+2)  
Ok I just completed it and it took me about 50 minutes so I guess the time is fine :)

Though level 1 and 3 are pretty small I really enjoyed level 2 but I don't think it's necessary to inform the player the expected damage from the final boss, I'd find more rewarding if I were to discover the best route since you basically told me to get lot of health. In my route I didn't take all Atk gems because of this and I expected to be more yellow doors on level 3 so I'm not sure of how many possible routes there are. It's not a bad thing, but maybe more choices on level 3 might be good but I see that you did this hold in 45 minutes so good job!

Status before the boss:
Click here to view the secret text

04-02-2014 at 07:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Suwako
icon Re: Ten-Minutes distraction (0)  
Thanks for comment :)

I won't change the levels, what is made will stay without change, but I think that yes, descriptions and names would be good to change. I would like to see more comments about the hold before the submission.

In a week or so, if no one comment, I'll change the name and description of the levels and I'll submit it.

[Last edited by Suwako at 04-04-2014 07:28 PM]
04-04-2014 at 07:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The spitemaster
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 354
icon Re: Ten-Minutes distraction (+1)  
Just a few comments:
Personally I don't like choices that are not really choices, see the second level in the western-est 1S 3W. The option is 2 def 400 health for essentially nothing or 6 atk 2 def for four mud babies.

There is too many green keys. You just realize when you get to the third level what you actually need to maximize. ie Don't care if you don't save any green keys.

Only a portion of the mud actually costs you health. If you know this it's fine, but I was thinking originally that greckels were worth something. As soon as the eyes are killed the rest of the mud is inert.

I think I clocked in at 25 min or so. I enjoyed it. Good work.

I wish that man would stay away
04-05-2014 at 04:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Budja
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 11
Great little hold! We need more like this.

I was optimising keys/atk/def until the end so I had to redo the second level. In this short hold, I think that is fine.

I am super impressed you made this in only one hour! I still have much smaller holds on my hard-drive that are still unfinished.

Personally I don't like choices that are not really choices, see the second level in the western-est 1S 3W. The option is 2 def 400 health for essentially nothing or 6 atk 2 def for four mud babies.
I think its good to have some more "obvious" choices so the player isn't too overwhelmed. If every choice is hard, its too easy to screw up.

Stats before Boss
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Budja at 04-05-2014 05:09 AM]
04-05-2014 at 05:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Suwako
icon Re: Ten-Minutes distraction (0)  
Thanks for both comments, they actually help for any other hold i can do.

04-06-2014 at 08:09 PM
Banjooie
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1645
...Based on Twenty Minutes Distraction?

.. <3
04-14-2014 at 10:09 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : Ten-Minutes distraction (Short distraction)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com