Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : BiS Open-Beta (Current Build - 16)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
gamer_extreme_101
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1939
IP: Logged

File: DRODIS Build 16.zip (2.2 MB)
Downloaded 261 times.
License: Other
icon BiS Open-Beta (+1)  
Well, the moment some have been waiting for is here: DRODiS is Beta. Rather than doing some secret behind-the-back testing, we're opening it to all. However, I do have to address a couple of procedure for testing that I hope you will follow AND a list of known bugs. This thread will be updated as much as possible.

SUGGESTED PROCEDURE:

Download the file on the side. The build number will always be listed in the file name. I would hope that all beta-testers run 1.6.6 and use this mod in a seperate installation than the normal one. (Trust me...it will be fairly difficult to reconvert back to normal. To install the mod, unzip it to the "Data" directory in the DROD installation of your choice(Most common - "C:\\Program Files\\DROD\\Data\\"). It will overwrite all sound files, drod.ini, and the majority of the Bitmaps in there. If you have custom made bitmaps/sounds, BACK THEM UP BEFORE INSTALLING!!!

The first thing I would like people to test is to make sure KDD is playable. If there are graphics issues that don't let you see arrows when a roach is on them, KDD will probably let us find that out. Get a good feel for the graphics and sound. If you find that the music in Style2 doesn't suit the graphics, let us know!

From then on - experiment. Download some of the user made holds. Try to find weird things out in the editor. If you fins something you don't like OR something that doesn't work, post it here.

KNOWN BUGS:

-The title screen still needs some alignment when you press the buttons. A couple of them are still a pixel or two off.

Bjorn Lynne was kind enough to give us use of his Midi files listed on his site. www.lynnemusic.com) If you find a music file there that you think would fit into the styles, just post it here with the name of the file.

If you find a problem, either post it here or PM me. Either way I'll get to it as soon as I can. Thank you in advance!

-Patrick

[Edited by gamer_extreme_101 on 09-12-2004 at 03:31 PM GMT]

09-04-2004 at 02:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
KevG
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 333
icon Re: BiS Open-Beta Thread (+1)  
Don't really have time to do any kind of a thorough test right now, but wanted to see if I could install it and give an initial impression. Installation was simple and it works fine. Played through a few parts of Dugan's.

It was difficult at times to tell the difference between open and closed doors, even with the different patterns. This was especially true on level 1.

In most of the graphics styles it wasn't immediately obvious the trapdoors were trapdoors. Levels 4,5, and 9 stand out in this regard.

The cracked walls were difficult to recognise on level 5. On level 9 it was incredibly difficult to figure out where they were by simply looking at the screen.

As for level 3, the floor is extremely busy. It's difficult to tell where the roaches are without studying the screen, not quite as bad as spiders, but close. Mimic and invisibility potions are hard to see at a glance. Except when Beethro's moving, it's almost impossible to tell where the field of invisibility ends.

Hope this doesn't sound too critical, you all did a phenomonal job here. Just wanted to give a quick initial impression. I'll play with it more when I'm off work Monday and Tuesday.

09-04-2004 at 05:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
icon Re: BiS Open-Beta Thread (0)  
I have a much easier way to set up a single version of DROD to run with either DRODIS or the normal data. Just copy your Data directory, then install DRODIS in the original Data directory. The copy, with all your cool stuff in it, is untouched. When you're tired of DRODIS, just close the game, rename Data to Data-Space or something, and rename your copy to Data. That's what I did, and it works swimmingly.

09-04-2004 at 05:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Stuwy
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 212
I haven't tested it in full details, but the only problem right now is that in the editor when you click a style to choose (doesn't matter which style) the music sometimes doesn't play. This has happened to me before when I had the LKA music files playing a while back.

But wow, this is a bitchin' mod for DROD. I love it!
09-06-2004 at 06:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Yes, I have the same thing happen for me using the LKA files even without the mod. That's something to do with the game, not the mod itself.

09-06-2004 at 06:11 AM
Stuwy
I see, It's becuase of the sound files are saved as(?) since the original music is saved as .s3m and the current ones are saved as .ogg and .mid

09-06-2004 at 06:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Later on today, Build 13 will be released with a couple of minor graphical changes. Notably will be:

-Style9(Fire)'s pits are now sunken in the ground. I'll see if I like it, but it may be reverted back.

-Style2(Space2)'s Floor is getting a complete overhaul and changing. I saw where KevG was coming from. It was originally a bit more subtle, but we needed to ramp up the brightness to have invisibility shown. Obviously it didn't work.

-Style1(Space1)'s walls are getting a bit of a rehaul. Those crumbly walls are a bit hard to see.

-Patrick

09-06-2004 at 04:19 PM
gamer_extreme_101
icon Re: BiS Open-Beta Build 14 (+2)  
Build 14 is out! Changes include:

-New walls for Style1(Space1). The crumbly walls should be easily visible now.
-New floors, trapdoors, and statue. If you think that the statue is familiar, you are right. It was used in the origional Style7(Clouds).

In this build, I'd like to pose a couple of questions for you all. All are sound related, as I want to get rid of those issues ASAP?

1.Does the music fit the graphics in wach style? I know for sure that 9, 7, 5, and possibly 2 fit the graphics, but I'd like to hear everyone's opinion on it.
2.Should the DoorDeactivate sound be quieter, replaced or left the same?
3.Do the Neather sounds work or not? If they don't, should they be replaced with the original or altered in another way?

Once again, I would like to thank everyone who's tested it so far. You're doing an awesome job! :thumbsup

Oh, and can I get DiMono & Wackhead_uk to take down all the attachments in the DRODIS thrad to save us some space? Thanks!

09-06-2004 at 07:38 PM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
icon Re: BiS Open-Beta (0)  
I've just done a sort of short test with my own holds.

I must say that the "Tim Repeats" hold really worked well, you really should see the level thransformed from those trees to those tubes! Looks REALLY great to me. I would recommend anyone try to play that hold again with this theme. Also the second theme worked well with that level.

"Simplicity" didn't played that well though. Mainly because the background was black, and the sword was dark blue-ish. Is it possible to have a bit more light blue glow around that sword to make it a (light)sword that is usable in normal looking holds as well as in a completely dark hold?

-- Tim

09-07-2004 at 12:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Tim wrote:
"Simplicity" didn't played that well though. Mainly because the background was black, and the sword was dark blue-ish. Is it possible to have a bit more light blue glow around that sword to make it a (light)sword that is usable in normal looking holds as well as in a completely dark hold?

I take it that the hold is using Style3. I hadn't noticed it, but I do thank you for picking it out. I'm tempted to turn the sword red, but I do like the "glow" idea. Expect to see a change of lightsabre in the next build.

09-07-2004 at 12:19 AM
DiMono
Alright, all attachments are out of the other DRODIS thread with two exceptions:

wackhead missed one at the bottom of page 5
Stuwy still has his sounds up at the bottom of page 2

09-07-2004 at 12:21 AM
Stuwy
DiMono wrote:
Alright, all attachments are out of the other DRODIS thread with two exceptions:

wackhead missed one at the bottom of page 5
Stuwy still has his sounds up at the bottom of page 2

Removed now.
09-07-2004 at 01:20 AM
Stuwy

File: HUGEDOOR.wav Solution.zip (107.3 KB)
Downloaded 112 times.
Ok, since my HUGEDOOR effect was too loud, I swapped it with the Powerdown2.wav and replaced that one with an "alien static" (for those of you who have played Earthbound you will reconize this) type sound.

Comments on the new Powerdown2?
09-07-2004 at 01:54 AM
wackhead_uk
Rank Points: 352
I hadnt taken that down because I haven't been on for ages! Sorry! Is down now. And the new build does look a bit better. :)
09-07-2004 at 02:24 PM
gamer_extreme_101
Stuwy wrote:
Comments on the new Powerdown2?
I almost find it too quiet and, oddly, I'm starting to miss the huge-arse explosion. Unless I'm alone in my opinion, I may just make the origional deactivating sound quieter and institute the new sound that Stuwy gave us..(I can't remember which is which...it's 8AM here).

Oh, and Stuwy...Curse your Winnipeg Blue Bombers!!! We'l beat you this weekend....we just need to make sure that our Offense shows up to the game...

09-07-2004 at 02:57 PM
Stuwy
Curse your Winnipeg Blue Bombers!!! We'l beat you this weekend....we just need to make sure that our Offense shows up to the game...

Everybody beats our Blue Bombers :(

Hopefully your offence won't show up (crosses fingers)

[Edited by Stuwy on 09-07-2004 at 04:22 PM GMT]
09-07-2004 at 05:22 PM
gamer_extreme_101
Well, haven't had too many reports yet. I'm taking that as a good sign. List of changes in the next build:

-We'll finally sort out the two sound effects. Stuwy, please email or PM me and we'll get this problem sorted out.
-GeneralTiles will have a red sabre instead if blue. I've given it a quick look, and it will look a bit better. Before we start, the diagonal swords do look a bit jibbled, but I haven't found a way around it yet.
-Style1's trapdoor will be changed. Probably to something similar to Style2's
-I'm going to try a new pit for Style9 as a quick experiment. If I get good feedback, I'll change the trapdoor animation to fit it. If not, then it goes back to the way it was.

This build probably won't go out until I hear at least one more bug report. If not and I decide to actually work :? , it'll come out around Friday.

09-08-2004 at 02:18 AM
Tim
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
-We'll finally sort out the two sound effects. Stuwy, please email or PM me and we'll get this problem sorted out.
-GeneralTiles will have a red sabre instead if blue. I've given it a quick look, and it will look a bit better.
-Style1's trapdoor will be changed. Probably to something similar to Style2's
-I'm going to try a new pit for Style9 as a quick experiment. If I get good feedback, I'll change the trapdoor animation to fit it. If not, then it goes back to the way it was.
Some other comments as I'm trying to use the styles:

* I missed the "room finished" sound.
* I missed the "clicked" Settings button.
* Please check your red sword with the fire planet theme.
* You are changing the pits in the space levels? Can you try to make it so that I don't feel stupid when using pits on a space level?
* Style 3 is really busy. If you don't want to change those floors, you might want to change the pits into something pure black.
* Is it possible to replace one of the walls in any space theme with stars? (I really liked the stars in the background picture, can you put one of them as a wall or something?)
* If I could really request for something, I would like a space style like style 1, but with the asteroid replaced by the stars in style 3, some other pits (for example black holes, or something black). I'm also not sure what to do with walls yet (in space)
* You might notice my fondness of style 1. I think I am using that already. Nothing really interesting to see yet, but I think I will just do a space level ;)
* Besides, the W-Wings are really dark. I think I will use them as a replacement for the spiders ;) Those new "spiders" looks great by the way.

[Edited by Tim on 09-08-2004 at 11:28 PM GMT]

09-09-2004 at 12:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
wackhead_uk
I just realised...The fire pits aren't sunken into the ground when I play it - did you change it for DRODIS (or BIS) 14?
09-09-2004 at 09:31 AM
gamer_extreme_101
Tim wrote:
Neither of those sounds should have been changed. I'll check it out.
* Please check your red sword with the fire planet theme.
Done and done.
* You are changing the pits in the space levels? Can you try to make it so that I don't feel stupid when using pits on a space level?
Can you please expand on that? I'm not really getting where you are coming from...
* Style 3 is really busy. If you don't want to change those floors, you might want to change the pits into something pure black.
* Is it possible to replace one of the walls in any space theme with stars? (I really liked the stars in the background picture, can you put one of them as a wall or something?)
* If I could really request for something, I would like a space style like style 1, but with the asteroid replaced by the stars in style 3, some other pits (for example black holes, or something black). I'm also not sure what to do with walls yet (in space)
First of all...can you clarify whether it is Stlye3(Slime) or KDD Level 3's tileset. I have a feeling you were talking about the latter of them. I debated using stars in that theme, but decided against it because people would have a hard time figuring out which stars you can go on and which ones you can't. If you are in a slashfest-y room and accidentaly move into a star you thought was safe to walk one, you have to do it again. In other words, it probably won't happen. I will try to change the floor, though.
* You might notice my fondness of style 1. I think I am using that already. Nothing really interesting to see yet, but I think I will just do a space level ;)
* Besides, the W-Wings are really dark. I think I will use them as a replacement for the spiders ;) Those new "spiders" looks great by the way.
Heheh...always end a bug report with praise to make the tester not so mad....;) Thanks. I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying it.

09-09-2004 at 02:51 PM
Tim
An bit more explanation:

Style1 = Style1Tiles.bmp
Style3 = Style2Tiles.bmp

I know what happened: I played the ogg file, but it sounds empty.

This is not a sound, but the picture that is shown if the Settings button has been clicked onto.

How should I explain to other players that there are pits in space? You can't walk to that place because there are pits in space???
Heheh...always end a bug report with praise to make the tester not so mad....;) Thanks. I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying it.
Actually, one should start with praise ;) But I like it enough. And there's enough space out there to be creative ;)

The only problem is, I'm also working on my second mini themed hold, and it's a bit difficult to decide in which hold I should put the puzzle to :D

-- Tim

09-09-2004 at 11:36 PM
gamer_extreme_101
Tim wrote:
This is not a sound, but the picture that is shown if the Settings button has been clicked onto.
Eep! Better go check that out...

How should I explain to other players that there are pits in space? You can't walk to that place because there are pits in space???
Hmmm....time for an executive decision...
DROD <-> DRODIS Dictionary

Walls     - Blocked Terrain 
Pits      - Hazardous Terrain
Trapdoors - Hazardous Terrain Sealers
Statues   - Those 2x2 square things...:)

The only problem is, I'm also working on my second mini themed hold, and it's a bit difficult to decide in which hold I should put the puzzle to :D
If by "hold" you mean tiles, I'd like to see Style9. Then again, I'm a bit biased to that style as the music flat-out rocks...

09-09-2004 at 11:54 PM
Tim
If by "hold" you mean tiles, I'd like to see Style9. Then again, I'm a bit biased to that style as the music flat-out rocks...
No, I am making a sequel to Simplicity. Probably not that intuitive though, but a mini puzzle based hold. Beside the space level I've already promised. So I'm not even sure I have time for the september competition. :D
But can you explain what you mean with Style9?

-- Tim

09-10-2004 at 12:20 AM
gamer_extreme_101
icon Re: BiS Open-Beta Build 16 (0)  
Build 16 is out, and hopefully it'll be the last....Changes include...

-Beethro now has a red sabre. It has been tested on all tilesets, and is fully visible.
-The original HUGEDOOR has been left in, but Stuwy's new Powerdown sound is in.
-Fixed Title screen mishap.
-A couple of minor graphical changes.

As usual, let me hear if you find anything.

09-12-2004 at 04:27 PM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
----------
Trapdoors in Catacombs, Ice and Sanctum tilesets look odd when you're running up or down.
----------
I don't like the colors of slime tileset floor. Blue and gray don't mix to me.
----------
Squares aren't clear in Cavern, Cliffs, Palace and Catacombs tilesets. This could cause problems with some rooms with manipulating monsters on long distances.
----------
The menu is a little confusing to me. I can't find all commands easily. because they look so different than the original.
----------

It's a great mod but I hope this is not the last update.

[Edited by Doom on 09-12-2004 at 06:52 PM GMT]
09-12-2004 at 07:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
wackhead_uk
Well you can't make space square... and yes i dont really like the catacombs trapdoors, they were left over from something else, as were the walls, and the floor is just tar. It's a load of gunk, just like the level.

I am now in the process of making a level that looks like the level but the trapdoors will be easier to see and the pit (goop?) falling animation will be better. I hope It works.

[Edited by wackhead_uk on 09-14-2004 at 12:31 PM GMT]
09-13-2004 at 11:23 AM
wackhead_uk

File: Style8Tiles.zip (5.8 KB)
Downloaded 121 times.
icon Re: BiS Open-Beta (+1)  
Here is an update on the catacombs level. I Have done the trapdoors again so they look better but are not really optimized. I have also made the squares a little clearer. And say what you will, but I like the blue and grey tiles :P
09-14-2004 at 10:27 PM
rowrow
Rank Points: 432
My whole drod thing went funny and I think I have the wrong files in the wrong place. Can someone please tell me which files I am supposed to have in which place please cause it looks cool.

[Edited by rowrow at Local Time:11-14-2004 at 07:44 PM]

11-14-2004 at 07:43 PM
wackhead_uk
icon Re: BiS Open-Beta (+1)  
Back up the Bitmaps and Sounds and Music folders, then put all the .bmps into the Bitmaps folder, the .wavs into the Sounds folder, then the .mids (I think that they're midis) in the Music folder. Then put the drod.ini file where the old one was (after backing up of course).

[Edited by mrimer at Local Time:11-15-2004 at 04:57 AM: tweaking...it's all good]
11-14-2004 at 08:01 PM
rowrow
Rank Points: 432
Wow wow wow its so cool thanx evryone for your hard work. :D But 1 very bad thing is:the squares. Is there any way possible that you can make it with squares?Or bethro screams when he dies or make serpents not fuzzy?

[Edited by rowrow at Local Time:11-14-2004 at 09:51 PM]

11-14-2004 at 09:07 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : BiS Open-Beta (Current Build - 16)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com