Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : Easter Eggs
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Beacon80
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
IP: Logged
icon Re: Easter Eggs (0)  
Posted this on its own thread, but I'll add it to the compilation:
If you name your Heroine Elsa, Nawar, Katrina, or Erana, she begins the game with Hera's Ring from Quest for Glory V.

[Last edited by Beacon80 at 04-03-2014 07:12 PM]
04-03-2014 at 05:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
SirGaunte
One thing i noticed. I dont think it's Abdula Doo on the carpet. I think its Keapon Laffin on this cloud from QFG2.
04-09-2014 at 05:32 PM
Furudo
Zachski wrote:
There's one I literally JUST discovered.

Sometimes, at night, if you click your hand on one of the doors in the city, you'll actually enter one instead of getting a "locked" message.

You'll enter the Brigand Leader's room from Quest for Glory 1, with the Brigand Leader right there.

Of course, lacking a Dispel Potion, you're pretty much immediately slain and get a game over message. Lucky I had just saved XD

For the record, it was the door on the right in the screen with the spear.

Is that the place that looked like an oil painting? At least, that's what it looked like to me. I wasn't slain though, I was just immediately thrown out.

Also the books lying around on the second floor of the library seem to be a reference to some games. Like Tales from the Cove sounds a lot like the game Cave Story.

[Last edited by Furudo at 04-16-2014 02:23 AM]
04-16-2014 at 02:18 AM
Zachski
No, it wasn't the place that looks like an oil painting.
04-16-2014 at 11:16 AM
Beacon80
A few KQ5 references:
Cheese can be found on both Aurvendal's shelves and the shelves in Gastropnir.
It's either the first time you eat a fish, or it's just chance and it happened to trigger the first time I ate a fish, the game will tell you that this was a plot-critical item and the game is now unwinnable, before telling you it was only kidding. This is most likely a reference to the fish you used to distract the cat early in KQ5. Failing this puts the game into an unwinnable state, although you can still progress through most of the game.
04-16-2014 at 05:30 PM
Furudo
A Skelwing is sometimes seen flying in the crystal room.
04-18-2014 at 06:25 AM
ConjurerDragon
Rank Points: 13
Killington wrote:
Cedric the owl from KQ5 perched on the tree outside the town gate

I saw that for the first time today. What does it refer to when the owl speaks about poison and why does hitting the owl with a snowball trigger a temporary poisoned effect for the heroine? :sick
10-21-2017 at 01:49 PM
Heroinefan
Rank Points: 12
ConjurerDragon wrote:
Killington wrote:
Cedric the owl from KQ5 perched on the tree outside the town gate

I saw that for the first time today. What does it refer to when the owl speaks about poison and why does hitting the owl with a snowball trigger a temporary poisoned effect for the heroine? :sick

It's an old joke we played to death when kings quest 5 came out and thereafter. It refers to him saying, a poisonous snake, and because people generally thought Cedric was a bit of a flaming cowardly halfwit, that sounded like Julia Child. Not that an owl in a waistcoat and monocle isn't awesome, it really is...but Cedric was annoying and useless, if he was thinking big thoughts, they were probably the excuses he was making up in advance, to get out of even exploring with king Ghram.

However, I thought the cutscene Ghram was awesome looking, for his type of being, and made you feel better about what Rosella went through with Lolotte.

I was one of the ones Roberta references, who wrote in afraid the king was going to die, after the other game btw.

Only thing I hated about kq 5 was the character portrait mad Ghram look like a Indian pa cartright.

Also his shameful attitude toward his son, blaming him for saving himself. Ghram dishonored himself there, no wonder he ended up with no heir and Alexzander became a king elsewhere.

Also, Alexzander dishonored himself in the face of Mordak by being a coward in the gipsy vision. Righteous princes do not make excuses and lie to plead. He lost all credibility with me for that game right there. However, he earned it back in the next game somewhat.

As for the villain, I liked his fingernails but that's about all, he looked otherwise goofy, not befitting a warlock that could shift a castle.

icon Re: Easter Eggs (0) [Good | Bad]
One thing i noticed. I dont think it's Abdula Doo on the carpet. I think its Keapon Laffin on this cloud from QFG2.

I think that is correct, in the original version his sprite looks like a monkey man. It could also have been an artistic take on Gohan on the flying nimbus. If not for the outfit and the fact that gfg is much more likely reference in the context of this game.

[Last edited by Heroinefan at 10-21-2017 05:04 PM]
10-21-2017 at 04:27 PM
Radiant
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 142
ConjurerDragon wrote:
While Cedric is about as popular as Navi (and even less useful), his most infamous line is "Look out, Graham, a POIsonous snake!". Both the TVtropes page and the most popular Let's Play of KQ5 take this POIsonous line and run with it.

Heroinefan wrote: Righteous princes do not make excuses and lie to plead.
Alexander has been the manservant of an irascible wizard for his entire life, where every misstep got him magically punished. The events of KQ5 take place, what, one week after KQ3? He's not had a lot of time to learn being righteous.

I think that is correct, in the original version his sprite looks like a monkey man. It could also have been an artistic take on Gohan on the flying nimbus. If not for the outfit and the fact that gfg is much more likely reference in the context of this game.
That's definitely Keapon.

10-21-2017 at 10:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Heroinefan
Radiant wrote:
ConjurerDragon wrote:
While Cedric is about as popular as Navi (and even less useful), his most infamous line is "Look out, Graham, a POIsonous snake!". Both the TVtropes page and the most popular Let's Play of KQ5 take this POIsonous line and run with it.

Heroinefan wrote: Righteous princes do not make excuses and lie to plead.
Alexander has been the manservant of an irascible wizard for his entire life, where every misstep got him magically punished. The events of KQ5 take place, what, one week after KQ3? He's not had a lot of time to learn being righteous.

That's definitely Keapon.

That cat can fly, to have made it to the castle of doom within a week, swim too, given the location. Interesting given that Alexzander took his magic by turning him into a cat, otherwise Alexzander would have been potash before he made it back to daventry. I wonder how he liked sir greywolf?

[Last edited by Heroinefan at 10-22-2017 05:19 PM]
10-22-2017 at 05:18 PM
Radiant
Heroinefan wrote: That cat can fly, to have made it to the castle of doom within a week, swim too, given the location.
Or, you know, Mordack teleported to Llewdor for a visit.

10-22-2017 at 06:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Heroinefan
Radiant wrote:
Heroinefan wrote: That cat can fly, to have made it to the castle of doom within a week, swim too, given the location.
Or, you know, Mordack teleported to Llewdor for a visit.

I always disregarded that, because it seems so unlikely unless we take the agdi remake as canon. If we do, it makes sense, the father simply told him, Mordak.

Otherwise, if he was prone to visit would not he have done so before then? In which case Alex would have recognized mordak. The only likely thing would be if they corresponded via letters by magical means and a reply was not received.

That could cause mordack to check it out. I doubt with there fantastic pride, mordack would have bothered meeting his brother at the town pub, to hide himself from a slave, if he had a habit of keeping tabs on his big brother.

Now, manny could be going on teleport jaunts, to visit the castle of his brother, I don't doubt that with all his trips out and about. Also, he was a raving paranoid, he would have to release the pressure from time to time. Yet, for that same reason could not be gone long. His, was no doubt a tortured existence, by his own reactions, even before a cat he became.

He was always looking for the one to attack him and set himself up for that very attack by his own actions. It was a self-fulfilling prophecy. Alex got the brunt of that, as he became more and more misanthropic, older and more fearful for his life. I think.

Which is why, it was written that some would call his acts deviant but they were not. He was not a sadist, simply mentally disturbed. He sought control out of fear, punished for something that had yet to occur, from a direction he was not sure of. Alex was an unfortunate symbol.

That's why he said something like give an old man some peace in the remake. Being a wizard that prophesy tortured his mind into insanity. He was not being funny, manny was not the joking type.

He gave a snaggletooth sneer because that's what some mental patients do. I know the look from studies. That sneer. Manny's mind was gone.

Mordak should have got his brother some help, but their characteristics would not allow it. I know how funny that sounds, but he did not need counseling he needed a better solution to his prophesy problem via a more specific vision.

[Last edited by Heroinefan at 10-22-2017 07:07 PM]
10-22-2017 at 06:41 PM
Radiant
Heroinefan wrote: Otherwise, if he was prone to visit would not he have done so before then? In which case Alex would have recognized mordak.
Or he was locked in his room, polymorphed into a snail, or otherwise kept away from visitors. Or, indeed, Manannan visited Mordack on a regular basis, since he is known to take lots of journeys.

Of course, if you want to get technical about it, the existence of Mordack and the Black Cloak Society is a retcon; neither is mentioned or even hinted at prior to KQ5.

He was not a sadist, simply mentally disturbed.
"You fed my chickens too late! Now you will be magically forced to do a Richard Simmons routine! Again!" Nooo, not at all sadistic.

10-23-2017 at 09:05 AM
Heroinefan
Radiant wrote:
Heroinefan wrote: Otherwise, if he was prone to visit would not he have done so before then? In which case Alex would have recognized mordak.
Or he was locked in his room, polymorphed into a snail, or otherwise kept away from visitors. Or, indeed, Manannan visited Mordack on a regular basis, since he is known to take lots of journeys.

Of course, if you want to get technical about it, the existence of Mordack and the Black Cloak Society is a retcon; neither is mentioned or even hinted at prior to KQ5.

He was not a sadist, simply mentally disturbed.
"You fed my chickens too late! Now you will be magically forced to do a Richard Simmons routine! Again!" Nooo, not at all sadistic.

Granted, anything involving Richard Simmons is sadistic. He has Cedric beat 10 ways to sundown.

Still, Howard was a bit crude in his treatment of him, and I don't approve. Rich is a good-natured poofball, he cant help it, and he has lots of energy, jumping about like that. It makes me laugh, so he's ok.

He won't trot out his personal business to make a pointless statement and sound like a moron because of it, and I respect the little guy for that.

He's dayglow flaming, a cornball, but that's incidental, he's not cheap, nor is any of it calculated. Maybe he makes the world a little brighter for some.

Believe it or not, I hope he won't high side it. I know the guys a manic depressive. So was that plump black haired talk show woman. I also know why too, but don't feel like properly explaining it, as it would be misunderstood anyway.
10-23-2017 at 06:31 PM
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : Easter Eggs
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes