Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : Who's your favorite character? (In Heroine's Quest)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
IP: Logged
icon Re: Who's your favorite character? (0)  
dmatrixone wrote:
Back in the Legend of Fair Spring* days, we had a plot significant wizard in the game. He was the only other character in the playable demo so, I know that Corby put a lot of work into drawing his sprites. The old wizard and Aurvy sprites are similar so, I would guess that Corby repurposed them for The Herald of Ragnarok.

* = This was the original HQ game from 2004
Wait, I thought HQ started in 2009?
01-07-2014 at 10:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Fizzii
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 22
Yes, this HQ started in 2009.

But back in 2004, Corby wanted to make a Heroine's Quest: The Legend of Fair Spring, which was an entirely different game and setting. That project died in 2005.

In 2009, he decided to give it another go and started working on the current HQ, and it was at this point that Radiant got involved with the game's design.

If you're interested, Blake documented a whole bunch of QFG fan projects here: http://webspace.webring.com/people/ed/d_blakeley/Games/QFGSeries/QFGSeriesIndex.html

So in other words, it was Corby's dream to get a Heroine's Quest game made for nearly a decade :)

[Last edited by Fizzii at 01-07-2014 10:46 AM]
01-07-2014 at 10:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
v_k
Fizzii wrote:
If you're interested, Blake documented a whole bunch of QFG fan projects here
Wow, that's a sad list. Good things are getting better finally.
01-07-2014 at 12:16 PM
Thanks, it's pretty interesting seeing all these screenshots. I'm glad Corby's dream came true in the end :thumbsup

[Last edited by 1848 at 01-07-2014 12:33 PM]
01-07-2014 at 12:32 PM
adventjc
Doom squirrel no doubt.

But the voice acting on the main character was quite enjoyable.
01-07-2014 at 03:14 PM
adventjc
Fizzii wrote:

So in other words, it was Corby's dream to get a Heroine's Quest game made for nearly a decade :)

was worth the wait
01-07-2014 at 03:16 PM
ugralitan
Most of the characters are cool and stuff but they have no chance against Ratatosk the DOOM SQUIRREL!

Aside that I think Kraka would make many people swear at her for being a cold mean girl. I personally was thinking to attempt to give heroine's scarf to her next time I stumble upon her...then she stole the scarf along other stuff! So much for charity. If there was an evil path to murder them as a sorceress...probably I'd do that.

And well, Thrivaldi is my second favourite...after RATATOSK THE HERALD OF RAGNAROK!!! (*it is making me write in caps...help!*)
01-07-2014 at 04:31 PM
solamon77
So far I'd say Thrivaldi. Every time he/they come on I get a good laugh.
01-13-2014 at 02:39 AM
romulus16
RATATOSK!!!!!!!
01-13-2014 at 11:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
BlueFlower
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 156
The ones I liked were, Eitri, whom I could relate to, Fremont, the troll, and the Norns, when you ask "Who will win the 2014 Olympics?" during the first meeting.

Himie, Is myself, in game form. I am always adventurous.

01-22-2014 at 03:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Radiant
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 142
v_k wrote:
There is however one strange occasion that doesn't fit this line of thinking - substituting Aurvandel for Groa. I mean, given how Vikings generally considered magic women's business, it'd make much more sense to have a female wizard, so I'm very curious about the reasons behind this move.
Allow me to answer that. I'm not convinced in how far magic is considered women's business in Norse mythology, considering that the primary spellcaster is Odinn. Regardless, the reason Aurvandel was used instead of Groa is because the the role of a female mystic overlaps with that of the Norns, whereas having a male mystic is a nice contrast against the militaristically inclined Ylfing, Snorri, and Volund.

Also, Corby has informed me that Aurvandel's appearance is not based on Tim, the wizard from Legend of Fair Spring. I don't think he looks a lot like Erasmus either, except that both are the hat-beard-and-robe wizard archetype. Of course, this archetype is based on traditional depictions of Odinn, so we've come full circle here :D

01-23-2014 at 03:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tweak
I quite enjoyed the redundant quirk going on with Aurvendel, even though I don't care much for magic in stories.

My favorite character is probably Brynhil..? I forget exactly the name, but the Valkyrie are more interesting to me than the gods. It's good to see a proper one for once, as opposed to so many other games that have borrowed the name for no reason other than offering a female character.
03-01-2014 at 04:07 AM
DarthVodkas
I'm going to have to go with Eitri being my favorite, with the librarian being a pretty close second.

04-29-2014 at 12:20 PM
CeilidhaChaos

I've played through several times now (still at it too!) but when I first played, Eitri hands down was my favorite right away. I just love how e talks, voice, everything, and find eir most relatable to me. I couldn't stop smiling the whole time e was talking! :D
My fiance, was watching me play the first time and he, (huge Invader Zim fan that he is) loved Ratatosk the Squirrel. He was just mesmerized by him, which I found hilarious.
By the time the end credits rolled around surprised we were to find that voiced were both our favorites by the same actor! (erm..sorry. It's addictive.) :thumbsup
04-29-2014 at 11:46 PM
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : Who's your favorite character? (In Heroine's Quest)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com