Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : Heroine's Quest - Svartalfheim questions (the second world)
Page 2 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
IP: Logged
icon Re: Heroine's Quest - Svartalfheim questions (the second world) (0)  
v_k wrote:
1848 wrote:
v_k wrote:
QFG Fan wrote:
Can someone please tell me how to pass the purple crystal puzzle?I got the crystal, and now I have no idea what to do.Please help.
It really puzzles me why so many people find this one challenging. Basically, activating each crystal save one triggers some other crystal. Which means there are only two possible sequences to test out.
Because these crystals are not mentioned anywhere in dialogue or Adventurers' Guidebook.
So? A game can't have a self-contained puzzle? What about the good old "experiment and learn" approach? ;)
Of course it can. I was just replying to your wondering why it puzzles so many people and why it is so challenging.

[Last edited by 1848 at 12-30-2013 09:46 PM]
12-30-2013 at 09:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
QFG Fan
I tried a whole lot of sequences but I still can't get into the town that's stuck to the ceiling.
12-30-2013 at 10:20 PM
bjorn
The answer:
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by bjorn at 12-30-2013 10:22 PM]
12-30-2013 at 10:22 PM
Fizzii
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 22
That would happen if you're clicking randomly.

Get out a piece of paper and write down what crystal triggers what other crystal. Then put them in order.

Then you need to unlock that order by doing the reverse.
12-30-2013 at 10:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
PicaLudica
I believe I know why people are having so much trouble with this puzzle - including myself, back when I was stuck at it.

When I was experimenting to figure out this puzzle, I was of course trying various combinations without closing/reopening the "closeup" window of the crystals (where you input the sequence). The correct combination was one of the first ones I tried, but it didn't work. I finally got frustrated and checked online for a solution, and when I saw that the right combination was one I had already tried, a thought occurred to me: the sequence only works if you click on the crystals and input exactly that sequence without mistakes or retrying. If you make a mistake, you need to close the window, click again on the crystals to reopen it, and start entering the sequence from the beginning.

Basically, the game only recognizes one "clean" input, which means that if you're experimenting, you can't just enter sequences one after the other: you need to close the window after each attempt and reopen it for a new attempt, which makes experimentation very counter-intuitive and misleading.

If someone was willing to confirm or disprove this, it would be great. If not, I'll try to dig out a save close enough to that bit and do it myself, when time will allow.
12-30-2013 at 10:38 PM
Fizzii
Strange, I have not come across this issue for a long time now, as this was something we fixed early on when I pointed it out as an issue. And my testing didn't trigger this issue since it was fixed, so I'd like to see more confirmation of whether this is still the case or not.
12-30-2013 at 10:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
TripleM
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1373
Hah, I was going to reply with exactly the same thing - I'm positive I tried both the forward and reverse sequence myself the first time without success too, and coming back later and trying the reverse sequence immediately worked.

However, I've just gone back and tried again with some incorrect first clicks and it still accepted the right answer. So I'm not sure either :/

[Last edited by TripleM at 12-30-2013 10:54 PM]
12-30-2013 at 10:53 PM
v_k
I experimented a bit and it seems like it fails to accept the right sequence if you click crystal 2 just before starting it.
i.e. something like

would work, while something like

would not.
Since most people would probably try direct order just before trying reverse order, I guess it can be confusing.

[Last edited by v_k at 12-30-2013 11:07 PM]
12-30-2013 at 11:05 PM
Fizzii
Thanks v_k, that is very helpful :)
12-30-2013 at 11:09 PM
Myrren
so how do we get the runic stick? I've been trying to figure it out myself to now...

I tried giving the Golden Apple, nope.
I can't think of any other magical items!
12-30-2013 at 11:57 PM
PicaLudica
Okay, this is a silly idea, but how about this: Regin has a kind of magical horse (haven't gotten it myself yet, but read about it). If we take the word "mountain", we could argue that its root is "mount-", and since a horse is a kind of "mount", well...

I'm sorry, I'm really out of ideas. xD
12-31-2013 at 12:56 AM
Frankie Teardrop
Anyone know how to get into that room that is isolated with the four walls?

Myrren wrote:
so how do we get the runic stick? I've been trying to figure it out myself to now...

I tried giving the Golden Apple, nope.
I can't think of any other magical items!

I even bought a magic wand as a fighter. Wasted 10 coins.
12-31-2013 at 12:59 AM
Jack Stryker
Rank Points: 13
The only root of a mountain I know are from the lyrics of the Wilco song 'Remember the Mountain Bed': Your feet played games with mountain roots as you lay thinking there

...Does that mean I should give him my boots? I hope not, because it'd be difficult for the heroine to walk barefoot through all that snow, without freezing her toes off. :P Or is there another pair of shoes somewhere, that I can give him?
12-31-2013 at 01:25 AM
v_k
Tried both boots and horse, no luck. Given how Eitri is kinda simpleton, it has to be something really absurd - but I just can't think what. My best guess was a scarf, since Aurvandel calls it magical and it's kinda similar to Gleipnir, which is "thin as a silken ribbon", but again no luck. Also tried the gemstone and cooking herbs.
Of the objects Gleipnir was made of that Eitri doesn't mention, there's also "a breath of a fish", and there is a single fish in the game that can breathe, but if his breath is obtainable is once again unknown to me.

Dear Fizzii, could you give us a tiny nudge: can the object in question be obtained at any point in the game, or do you need a specific occasion for it to become available? And can you do something to screw it up?

[Last edited by v_k at 12-31-2013 10:56 AM]
12-31-2013 at 10:47 AM
Fizzii
Well, you nailed it with Eitri's character. Now you need to give him something related to what he asks for - he is pretty specific after all.

And it can be obtained at pretty much any point in the game.
12-31-2013 at 10:52 AM
PicaLudica
Well, my original hunch was to go with "cat's footfall", and basically bring him the print of a cat's paw. I was thinking that maybe I could apply some snow on the paw of Horrendous the cat, or something, to take his paw print. Alternatively, there are some paw prints near the willow tree, but since my character doesn't have Animal Ken, I don't know which animal made them.

I haven't discarded that option yet - after all, Eitri didn't say "the SOUND of cat's footfall" - but I haven't figured out how to bring him a paw print, if that's the solution.

Another hunch was to bring him a carrot. That hasn't much to do with Gleipnir, but he does seem to value carrots for some reason, since he paid a pretty penny for these "pungent flowers". But the only source of carrots are the snowmen, and though I managed to melt one, I can't retrieve the carrot (the interract icon just gives me the same message as if the snowman were intact).

I must congratulate the devs on that particular puzzle. I'm usually good with point'n'click adventures and puzzles in general, but I'm really stumped here. ^^;
12-31-2013 at 12:47 PM
v_k
PicaLudica wrote: Alternatively, there are some paw prints near the willow tree, but since my character doesn't have Animal Ken, I don't know which animal made them.
They're rabbit's. And you can't take them.
There's also a paw print on one book in the library, but I think it's just an easter egg (the book is on Shapeir).

I'm thinking you might give him a rope and say it's bear's sinew, but I've found only one rope (well in Munarvagir) and you can't take it... Also, there' that bear pelt in Adventurer's guild, but can't do anything with it either.
12-31-2013 at 12:54 PM
Astrid
Talking about Svartalfheim, has someone found an use for the hot water that can be put into a vial in the coral formation screen? The heroine says that "You feel this may come in handy, so you should take care not to spill any" whenever I try to use it on anything other than myself.
12-31-2013 at 04:00 PM
v_k
Astrid wrote:
Talking about Svartalfheim, has someone found an use for the hot water that can be put into a vial in the coral formation screen? The heroine says that "You feel this may come in handy, so you should take care not to spill any" whenever I try to use it on anything other than myself.
You may drink it to fight frostbite. If there is some other use, I don't know.
12-31-2013 at 04:17 PM
Frankie Teardrop
Still curious if anyone get into that room that is isolated with the four walls 'cause I didn't?
01-01-2014 at 01:10 PM
bjorn
That's just a room, if you work Advari's puzzle you can access it. Only ones that matter is

01-01-2014 at 01:15 PM
Frankie Teardrop
bjorn wrote:
That's just a room, if you work Advari's puzzle you can access it. Only ones that matter is
mhhh, didn't remember Advaris puzzle, but where are

[Last edited by Frankie Teardrop at 01-01-2014 01:24 PM]
01-01-2014 at 01:20 PM
bjorn
The glacier room is the one with the glacier, because it has a glacier made of ice, which is a component of a glacier.
01-01-2014 at 01:24 PM
Frankie Teardrop
bjorn wrote:
The glacier room is the one with the glacier, because it has a glacier made of ice, which is a component of a glacier.

Maybe I'm still a bit drunk from tonight to remember them. Thanks for the replay mighty wizard :)
01-01-2014 at 01:26 PM
Ambaryerno
Is there anywhere that you can actually sleep in Svartalfheim? Between the time it takes to get to the portal, and then get to the svartalf town, I always end up past my bed time. :-P
01-05-2014 at 05:02 AM
Zachski
Ambaryerno wrote:
Is there anywhere that you can actually sleep in Svartalfheim? Between the time it takes to get to the portal, and then get to the svartalf town, I always end up past my bed time. :-P

01-05-2014 at 09:39 AM
toxa
Haven't seen this discussed yet:

There is a secluded area at the bottom right corner, is it reachable?

01-05-2014 at 08:46 PM
Raeann
I'm going to drag this back aways to topic 1, the question of what to give Eitri for the runic staff. There are a bunch threads regarding
Keep in mind that this is the guy who calls a snowglobe a rare crystal ball and makes similar ridiculous claims about random human items.
01-10-2014 at 05:51 AM
Thaumaturge
I too am stuck on the crystal-sequence puzzle in Svartalfheim; I'd like to at least somewhat figure it out, and so don't want to simply read the answer above, so would someone please offer a hint? Read on for the elements that are giving me difficulty, and my thanks for hints given.

Someone mentioned in a post above mentioned that they were puzzled by the number of people having trouble with this puzzle, since there were only two possible sequences, and I think that I have an answer for that -- at least, as regards my own experience of it.

Simply put, I don't know what my "goal" in the puzzle is, and, lacking a clue as to that goal, I see rather more than two potential sequences (none of which have worked thus far). Am I trying to get every crystal to light at least once (and only once)? If so, is there a specific order, and if so, where does that come from?

I see that touching one crystal (any but one, at least) causes another crystal to light up; does that mean that the second crystal is also activated, as though I'd touched it (meaning that I presumably only touch three myself), or does that act as a hint as to which to touch next?

In trying to come up with an order in which to light the crystals, I remembered that for the stones --

-- I tried applying that rule, to no avail. I saw that there seemed to be partial images in the crystals, and tried to match them. I tried ending on the crystal that doesn't light another, and I tried starting with it. Are the notes that the crystals play relevant?

In short, I don't know what I'm trying to achieve, and so find myself with too many options, and few clues.

(It's also not clear -- without visiting this thread -- whether the puzzle requires the player to exit the puzzle screen in order to reset it; perhaps, if it's just a set number of activations, some tone might play and some graphical effect might show to indicate that the puzzle has been reset?)

[Last edited by Thaumaturge at 01-14-2014 03:25 PM]
01-14-2014 at 03:24 PM
thefriendlyghost
I believe you have to leave the closeup screen when you try again/start over. it might be a bug.
01-14-2014 at 05:19 PM
Page 2 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : Heroine's Quest - Svartalfheim questions (the second world)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com