Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Beethro the Snow-Smithe (An exploration type hold.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Martian 47
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 24
IP: Logged

File: Beethro the SnowSmithe.hold (11.1 KB)
Downloaded 151 times.
License: Other
icon Beethro the Snow-Smithe (+2)  
I wanted to make a level with so many rooms, you could spend half an hour searching until you found anything! This 1 level hold has
Click here to view the secret text

08-30-2004 at 07:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Frodo
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 25
icon Re: Beethro the Snow-Smithe (0)  
Martian 47 wrote:
I wanted to make a level with so many rooms, you could spend half an hour searching until you found anything! This 1 level hold has
K - I played it.

I hope you went for "easy" on this one, cause it is. :)

As to searching, not really. Guess the fact that the game tells you where you are makes it hard to get lost. :)

Frodo
08-30-2004 at 08:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Sim
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 90
That's a pretty cool idea. I have a few ideas of how you could improve it:

It's a great idea though, you should expand on it.
08-30-2004 at 08:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1979
Martian 47 wrote:
I wanted to make a level with so many rooms, you could spend half an hour searching until you found anything!
Well, one can definitely spend half an hour without finding anything in this hold, but in that case I think that there is something worng with the player. ;)
As an exploration type hold, I must say you have suceeded it very well. I'm not sure if the difficulty is really easy, I'm still not sure how to handle the rooms where you are suppose to kill snakes with roaches.
For a first hold, this is really cool ;). I think this will be a hold that I think I can complete! Finally! Stuck in the entrances of Dusty Dungeon, second level in Claythro Tower, and I'm not even thinking downloading Bavato's. This hold is at least fun!

08-31-2004 at 11:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1838
Martian 47 wrote:

I've had a download too, and really, I don't like it very much. The concept is interesting, but the way you've done it is rather boring, since most rooms are just empty with a few ornaments in them, which makes for rather tedious level scanning to find rooms with monsters in them.

I would try to vary the rooms a bit more. As Sim suggested, include more physical features, such as valleys, mountains/cliffs, make the "plain" a bit less square and perhaps include passages between rooms (sort of like a semi-maze section). Also, reducing the number of empty rooms would be a good idea. At the moment, most of those are just fillers, with not much purpose, except to be entered and discovered to be completely empty.

Remember - quality is better than quantity.

However, it's an interesting time-filler, although not particularly challenging.

Tim wrote:
Finally! Stuck in the entrances of Dusty Dungeon, second level in Claythro Tower, and I'm not even thinking downloading Bavato's. This hold is at least fun!

Oh, that's not fair - you haven't even looked in it yet :).

Give it a try - level 1 isn't that bad, and there is a warp room to all levels except 14, so you can visit levels out of order if you want to.

[Edited by agaricus5 at Local Time:09-22-2004 at 11:16 PM]

09-22-2004 at 11:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
wackhead_uk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 352
The first level isnt that bad...but he rest is hard!
09-23-2004 at 09:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Beethro the Snow-Smithe (An exploration type hold.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com