Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Optimize This!
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
blorx1
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 920
IP: Logged

File: Optimization.hold (2.8 KB)
Downloaded 77 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Optimize This! (+6)  
[interesting hook]

The Basic Premise
This contest is based around optimizing a four room hold that consists of rooms that are (to the best of my knowledge) very difficult to optimize. I've attached it to this post and everyone has negative 540 weeks, 4 days to optimize the hold and post demos of their best solutions (you can edit them in up until the deadline) in the submission topic that I will make pretty soon.

It's worth noting that I got mxvladi to test this hold (so be sure to thank him), which means that I have confirmation that optimizing this hold is pretty difficult and it also means that you won't directly be competing with him.

Scoring
Each player will earn a score for each room, based off of how much they optimized the room and based off of their overall rank, and the player with the highest total score will win.
Each place will get points as follows.
Click here to view the secret text

In addition all players who scored below a certain number of moves (which I've determined now but will not post until scoring) will receive points equal to the percentage of moves that they were more optimized by. The number will be 10% worse than what we believe to be the optimal solution at this point.

Rewards
20 rank points to 1st place
10 rank points to 2nd place
5 rank points to 3rd place

This is a pretty quick contest to participate in, so everybody make sure to at least try. Also, a word of warning, the rooms in this hold each have at least two different relatively competitive solutions, so be warned.

Scoring may be subject to change, but I'll try to warn you. It shouldn't stop you from trying to optimize as best you can.

[Last edited by blorx1 at 10-19-2013 09:22 PM]
10-19-2013 at 08:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
blorx1
icon Re: Optimize This! (0)  
I've put up the submission topic for this, if anyone is actually playing it.

10-26-2013 at 08:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
The spitemaster
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 354
I am. Some of the rooms are a little tricky. I think we will see the largest spread on the north room.

I wish that man would stay away
10-26-2013 at 09:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1908
I'll put in some cheesy scores for everyone to crush.
10-26-2013 at 11:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
blorx1
We've got 1 week left and it looks like only one person has posted scores. Unless the submission topic isn't working, you guys need to get some scores in.

11-09-2013 at 01:25 AM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1299
I guess I just scared them away with my perfect scores. :P
11-09-2013 at 06:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Suwako
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 145
Just saw this, I've tried the hold and conquered the west room, tomorrow I'll try harder the east one. I can't guess how to do the north and south room.

Do the demos have to be of all the rooms or just the ones you can conquer?

11-12-2013 at 09:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
blorx1
Feel free to submit scores for only the rooms you can conquer. I'll give you points only for those rooms. If more people actually upload scores It'll make yours pretty non-competetive, but at the moment you could still get one of the higher places.

11-13-2013 at 02:57 AM
Suwako
Ok, then I'll participate with both rooms i can clear. Hope my records aren't too bad :) .

11-13-2013 at 02:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623
Well, I thought I'd have more time to work on these rooms, but I guess I don't really.

So, instead, have these demos I made back in October when the hold was first released. They're not particularly great, but I think I got OK scores for 1N and 1S.

I'm going to be very interested in seeing the top score for 1W.

11-13-2013 at 03:41 PM
blorx1
icon Re: Optimize This! (+1)  
And submissions have closed, I'll post the results sooner or later. Hopefully sooner.

11-17-2013 at 05:19 AM
blorx1

File: OptimizationDemoSet.demo (23.7 KB)
Downloaded 45 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Optimize This! (+6)  
And the scores are:
1st - 55 - Doom
2nd - 54 - Someone Else
3rd - 45 - Chaco/larrymurk
5th - 41 - Dischorran
6th - 22 - Suwako (Would have 40 if I gave 6th's for the incomplete rooms)

Note:

Scores by room:
1N

1S

1W

1E

Everybody's demos are attached to this post. The most interesting demos that I would look at in particular are Doom's solution to 1W and my solution to 1S.

Congratulations to the winners and all the participants!

[Last edited by blorx1 at 11-17-2013 05:34 PM]
11-17-2013 at 05:27 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623
icon Re: Optimize This! (+5)  
Nice work, everyone. I expected some low scores for all the rooms, and you guys definitely provided them.

I would certainly play in any sequel to this contest.

11-17-2013 at 06:06 PM
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1908
Nice contest, thanks!
11-17-2013 at 06:10 PM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
icon Re: Optimize This! (+20)  
Yeah, thanks to blorx1 for running the contest.

I had fun finding routes for the rooms (1N was perhaps a bit too unpredictable, but the rest of the rooms were good for optimizing). And certainly missed quite a few tricks as shown by the top demos.
11-17-2013 at 06:40 PM
Suwako
Nice contest to take part. I tried the rooms a lot of times, but didn't figure how to do them faster.

11-17-2013 at 06:43 PM
mxvladi
Rank Points: 2505
Pretty impressive top score for 1W.
11-17-2013 at 06:47 PM
west.logan
Rank Points: 608
Sad I missed this contest (been kind of busy) but maybe I'll catch another one. Thanks Blorx!

11-17-2013 at 07:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1299
icon Re: Optimize This! (+10)  
Very, very impressive. I thought I was completely optimal on 1S... I guess you proved me wrong. heh.

I really enjoyed this - I'd be in for another one some time in the future.
11-18-2013 at 12:45 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Optimize This!
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com