Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : Mysterious Contributions (HA2 is nearly done, so I thought we might as well try another!)
Page 2 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Someone Else
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1300
IP: Logged
icon Re: Mysterious Contributions (0)  
Hmm... I don't see them. Where are they hidden?
09-03-2013 at 08:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
Someone Else wrote:
Hmm... I don't see them. Where are they hidden?
I wouldn't expect them to be hidden. With DROD RPG, they should be in the app's install dir, or possibly in the Data subdirectory.

Edit: Barring that, maybe check out that odd place where newer versions of Windows likes to relegate files that an app attempts to write into its install dir.

Maybe we should upgrade DROD RPG to place the Data files into the ProgramData dir like DROD 3.3+ does it.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 09-04-2013 12:18 AM]
09-04-2013 at 12:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else

File: ErrorFiles.rar (890 bytes)
Downloaded 39 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Mysterious Contributions (+2)  
Oof. That's an awful place they're stored, at least on my computer. C:\Users\Sam\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\DROD RPG - Tendry's Tale\Data

Anyway, rar is attached.
09-04-2013 at 05:31 AM
mrimer
Thank you!

Hmm...I'm generally concerned about the error that's appearing sometimes that says:

FIRST LOG IN SESSION 8/18/13 5:41PM ***
Sound file "C_oof1.ogg" failed to load.  Check whether the filenames are correct.
Sound file "C_oof2.ogg" failed to load.  Check whether the filenames are correct.

Are we missing those sound effects out of the install?

----

I don't see anything since that date in your drod.err file, so it looks like you're not getting any error messages about the startup issue. Are you experiencing the same error message as Blondbeard noted?

09-04-2013 at 04:52 PM
Someone Else
Nope. Mine says this:

An unexpected error occurred, and DROD was not able to retrieve a description of the problem. This problem might be corrected by reinstalling DROD.
Error = 468
09-05-2013 at 01:29 PM
mrimer
Yikes. This is going to be hard for me to troubleshoot. Let me think about this a bit more.

09-05-2013 at 04:46 PM
hyperme
Rank Points: 1062
I don't want to interrupt important 'make DROD work' sessions, but since it would be nice for this thing to continue, perhaps Nuntar could recreate his rooms in the latest stable DROD RPG version and we can use those. We could also not use his rooms, but Nuntar is one of the better RPG architect people.

09-05-2013 at 04:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4590

File: HA4.jpg (154.5 KB)
Downloaded 49 times.
I'm not sure how to go about reinstalling the latest stable version (also, if I did, I wouldn't be able to play Forgotten Castle -- and I'm worried Nameless Fortress would go as well).

If it helps, here's a screenshot of my room. (I went beyond the requirements and made both rooms absolutely identical, except for the level entrance associations. In both rooms, stepping on the bridge in the SE corner takes you to the bridge in the other room.)

Pressure plate associations:

(4,5) opens (2,6)
(6,5) opens (11,5)
(9,5) opens (2,6) and (2,9)
(14,5) opens (6,2)
(14,7) opens all black gates
(1,11) closes (4,14)
(4,11) closes (1,14)
(9,14) closes (6,14)

[Last edited by Nuntar at 09-22-2013 12:05 AM]
09-05-2013 at 05:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Sorry for the off-topic discussion.

09-05-2013 at 07:52 PM
hyperme
*Poke*

So did applying experimental patches kill this? Or are we waiting for something?

09-10-2013 at 08:25 PM
12th Archivist
Rank Points: 789
hyperme wrote:
*Poke*

So did applying experimental patches kill this? Or are we waiting for something?
Same question. Can I email my entry, or should we redo the project?

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
09-21-2013 at 08:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
icon Re: Mysterious Contributions (+1)  
Got it working! Reinstallation was the key; too a few tries. This is the current state of the project - I have the following submissions:
Mine(C)
navithmaestro(B)
TheStewBoy(E)
Hyperme(G)

I have the following submissions but they won't import:
Ezlo(H)
Nuntar(F)

And I need an updated submission from:
12th Archivist(A)

I can't find anything from GoDot23(D).

If Ezlo and Nuntar can send me screenshots of the rooms, I can replicate them. I'll need a submission from 12th that is compliant, and either to find GoDot's submission or for him to resend it to me.
09-21-2013 at 11:40 PM
Godot23
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 114
Officially submitted! I didn't know what was going on with the whole "Patch" stuff, so I kinda held out on my submission until all of this blew over and I got confirmation that we were still going and that the thread was still alive.

My house is on fire
09-22-2013 at 03:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Someone Else
Oh, sorry Nuntar, I missed that. We're actually just waiting for 12th, now.
09-22-2013 at 03:41 AM
12th Archivist
Everything looks good, then!

09-22-2013 at 06:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else

File: Mysterious Contributions.drh (5.7 KB)
Downloaded 50 times.
Here it is! Level one.
End stats would be good.
09-22-2013 at 06:56 AM
12th Archivist
Here are my (terrible) end stats. This was done on a first playthrough, however, and with stupid mistakes in both my rooms that made upgrades impossible to get. Fixing those rooms and replaying the level should make it possible to beat the boss, whatever stats it has.

Click here to view the secret text

09-22-2013 at 07:27 AM
The spitemaster
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 354
For my finish I had

Someone should make an item for the second Floor that can open black or red doors for either a cost or limited number.

I wish that man would stay away
09-22-2013 at 08:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
My end stats:

In my rooms, you assigned the (9,5) plate to (7,6), not (2,9) as I said. However, considering the extreme scarcity of green keys, I'm happy for it to be left as it is. You forgot to mark the secret room as secret.

[Last edited by Nuntar at 09-22-2013 09:39 AM]
09-22-2013 at 09:33 AM
Someone Else
Mine were:

Oops, sorry about that Nuntar!

I can collect enough health to make a mad eye a reasonable boss, but based on your guys' stats, I'm not sure I want to do that.

[Last edited by Someone Else at 09-22-2013 03:10 PM]
09-22-2013 at 02:47 PM
The spitemaster
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 354
Someone Else we need to know what your Rep was to know how many monsters there were left. Also an idea for an item: a block that you can pick up and put down. It can depress pressure plates.

I wish that man would stay away
09-22-2013 at 02:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
hyperme
Well there's one issue stopping me from continuing since I have to replay most of the level again once it gets fixed. Stepping on the pressure plate in 1W isn't working correctly. It should, via magical cut scene magic, open the red door in 3N1W. I tested in my copy of the rooms, and it worked.

Also you can't get the items on the black doors in 2N1W since the pressure plate is set to toggle.

Finally, you can't get the goodies in 1N2W or 4N2W without spending a blue key due the designs of 1N1W and 4N2W. I'd argue that this time round we should actually deal with cases such as this. Put an arrow allowing a return from 1N2W and 4N2W, and change the eastern tunnels to point north or south, since the upper entrance to the 2W rooms is only useable as an exit.

09-22-2013 at 03:16 PM
Someone Else
Okay, new, more optimized stats:

09-22-2013 at 03:30 PM
Someone Else

File: Mysterious Contributions.drh (5.7 KB)
Downloaded 51 times.
Okay, I've fixed the first two problems you outlined. I think that blue keys are plentiful enough that the third thing really isn't an issue.

New version attached.
09-22-2013 at 03:34 PM
Godot23
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 114
Ok, so I wither in comparison to the experience exhibited by the other participants. I had fun here though. My stats on their way (as soon as I write this report -_-) Can't wait for what comes next!

My house is on fire

[Last edited by Godot23 at 09-22-2013 03:52 PM]
09-22-2013 at 03:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Red-XIII
Rank Points: 623
Though I'm not very good at DroD:RPG I'd like to give my status too. Since I failed to power up and kill all monsters as possible I decided to go straight as possible to the end:

Just to know, I managed to reach bronze shield (in a failed attempt) but is it possible to escape then? I'm not sure if it's possible to kill the rock golem.

09-22-2013 at 08:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
hyperme
Stats before opening the blue door in 3N:

More comments:

Inventory at level entrances maybe? Having to lug around the Wooden Sword in NF got annoying.

Starting at 20/10 was interesting. Skipping the early 'everything is pain' phase was nice.

Aumtlich and hot tile. Boo!

Blue Key count is technically 3, not 4, since you have to give up the one in 1N2W to get out. Of course, unless blues continue to given at the current rate without having to spend them on something worthwhile, 1N2W isn't that worth it. 4N2W I went for, but maybe that was a mistake.

Bronze Shield currently unobtainable. If a Wooden Shield doesn't show up, it's going to be an important goal. 30 DEF is a *lot*.

1W and 3N1W are pretty good. However, it's clear that the tunnels in 1W need to replaced with a path, and the mirroring path added in 3N1W to retain floor symmetry blocked. Using obstacles was pretty much cheating, of course.

1N1E and 4N1E are actually pretty good. While having the entire level being top/bottom symmetrical would be kind of dumb, having one really shows how the two sections are different.

Also:

Hmm... portable block. This really has the potential to wreck the level is obtained in, since it won't be considered. A mirror in a box on the other hand, could be neat.

09-22-2013 at 09:11 PM
Nuntar
It's not possible to kill the golem (you need 68 ATK). The bronze shield is a "teaser" that will be obtainable later.

About the blue keys... it's "not an issue" in that the powerups are not unobtainable, so there is a choice for the player to make. But it doesn't seem ideal. It depends, really, on how you want to run this phase (and I'm going to seem like a terrible hypocrite, considering how much I messed things up when I ran this game). Now that we've seen the complete level, we shouldn't make too many changes, but I think we should have the opportunity to make changes that improve the overall quality of the hold, and to suggest changes to each other's rooms.

These are the playability and aesthetic problems I've noticed:

* 2N: spider and eyes don't actually block anything; they're just a little annoying to walk all the way around.
* 1N1W: antlion doesn't block anything
* 2N and 5N1W: oremites don't do anything when player has wooden sword and no shield (though there may be aesthetic reasons for using them)
* 1N1W: pressure plate is useless (though it does enhance the correspondence with 4N1W)
* 4N1W: level map behind a door the player wants to avoid opening
* 2N1W: no penalty for killing the brains first (not a problem as such, just seems odd)
* 5N1W: pressure plate can't be activated

Getting back to the blue keys: it's true that in the long run, giving up a blue key (30pts) for 1 ATK + 1 DEF (8pts) is likely worth it considering the HP saved. But for the player to make that decision at the start of a hold, they have to take it on trust that the key won't be needed for its usual end-of-level function later. Also, as there are four blue keys on the level and two of them very cheap, if we ever want to force the player to get a blue key before finishing a level, we'd have to use up the cheap ones, which would mean requiring the player not to spend one getting those power-ups. Rather than all this headache, in my mind the best solution is to change the cheap blue keys, and those blue doors, for green ones -- though hyperme's suggestion is acceptable as well, or you may want to combine them. It's probably best if whoever built those rooms gets to decide.

09-22-2013 at 09:36 PM
hyperme
Which blue keys are the cheap ones, for reference purpose?

Hopefully not the one in 3N1W, since it would kind of defeat the point of fancy inter-room pressure plates.

09-22-2013 at 09:52 PM
Nuntar
I meant 2N1W (one roach queen) and 1N2W (one brained eye). It's true that to escape from 1N2W you have to use up the key, but I wasn't including that as that may get changed in revision anyway.

09-22-2013 at 10:02 PM
Page 2 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : Mysterious Contributions (HA2 is nearly done, so I thought we might as well try another!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com