Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : Mysterious Contributions (HA2 is nearly done, so I thought we might as well try another!)
Page 1 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Someone Else
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1300
IP: Logged
icon Mysterious Contributions (+5)  
Let's build another Anonymous hold! HA2 is just about done, and HA3 kinda crashed and burned, so... These are the rules this time:

1) Some people sign up for this game. I will start it only if there are at least five participants.
2) I make a barebones DROD:RPG hold, and each participant is given two rooms to work on: in one, they put in monsters and doors and other assorted obstacles (trapdoors, oremites, tunnels, etc. but no walls, pit, or water). In the other, they'll put treasure and items and stuff.
3) The participants have to submit their rooms within a week (could be longer depending on level of participation, but I'd like to keep it around a week). I will then compile them and post the result. Then another week is given to introduce whatever changes into those rooms, now that the entire layout will be seen.

The objective of this game is to see if we can build a DROD:RPG hold without knowing about each other's ideas. Of course, I cannot control how you communicate, but it would be better if you stick to the rules.

I'll build the hold once I know how many people are playing, and I'll probably also play (so that it's bigger). Submissions will be by email - here.

So, who's in this time?

[Last edited by Someone Else at 08-19-2013 01:43 AM]
08-19-2013 at 01:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
12th Archivist
Rank Points: 789
icon Re: Mysterious Contributions (0)  
First join!

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
08-19-2013 at 01:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The Stew Boy
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 247
I'm in.
08-19-2013 at 08:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
hyperme
Rank Points: 1062
I guess I'll do some more of this.

08-19-2013 at 11:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
navithmastero
Rank Points: 596
I'll give it a go.

-nm

One of your local HAs.

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

08-19-2013 at 02:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Thinking about it, it's less interesting if I build the walls in the rooms. I think I'll just go back to the previous idea, barring any clever ideas by someone. (that is, each person builds two rooms)
08-19-2013 at 04:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4590
Yeah, I'd like to give this another go O:-

I don't think giving us pre-placed walls necessarily makes things less interesting; just different. I experimented a little with the game structure in several levels of the game I ran, and it seemed to be mostly successful.

08-19-2013 at 09:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
I'd be game.
08-21-2013 at 03:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else

File: MC Rooms.png (6.8 KB)
Downloaded 446 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Mysterious Contributions (+2)  
Okay, we have 7 players (including myself, because I want to play too - I've already completed my portion :P). If any more show up, that's too bad we can expand, possibly.

These are the special rules for this level: When you begin construction, pick a pair of rooms nobody else has picked (I picked C), post which you picked, and build those rooms. One caveat: The walls in both rooms must be identical. Other than that, no restrictions (although the top and bottom parts are unconnected, so someone might want to make sure it's possible to travel between the two halves. For bonus points, make the positioning of your monsters and items and such identical (but you probably want to make the monsters and items different).

The exit room will contain one (1) boss monster and cost 1 (one) blue key. Stats to be determined; Somewhere between mud baby and antlion, most likely.

[Last edited by Someone Else at 08-21-2013 11:49 PM]
08-21-2013 at 05:58 AM
Someone Else

File: Mysterious Contributions.drh (1.3 KB)
Downloaded 45 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Mysterious Contributions (+2)  
Here's the hold file.

[Last edited by Someone Else at 08-21-2013 11:49 PM]
08-21-2013 at 06:00 AM
hyperme
I'll go for G. A nice room out of the way of major paths. Maybe. You never know with this construction method.

08-21-2013 at 11:43 AM
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4590
Ooh. Very interesting idea for a special rule.

(Does it apply only to walls, or to any elements we might use to block off one room-entrance from another?)

I'll take F.

08-21-2013 at 12:26 PM
12th Archivist
Rank Points: 789
A it is!

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
08-21-2013 at 12:52 PM
Someone Else
It's all walls, pits, and water. But recommended for all other wall-like stuff (though changing the colour of the gates is totally allowed).
08-21-2013 at 01:28 PM
navithmastero
Rank Points: 596
I'll take B.

-nm

One of your local HAs.

My stuff:

08-21-2013 at 02:20 PM
Godot23
Rank Points: 114
I just noticed this! Can I join? If not, I understand.

My house is on fire
08-21-2013 at 08:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Someone Else
icon Re: Mysterious Contributions (+1)  
Yep! Nobody has taken D yet, so I'm adding a room to the West of that, and calling it H. Hold updated (momentarily), and you're in, Godot!
08-21-2013 at 11:44 PM
Ezlo
I guess I'll take that new H room.
08-22-2013 at 04:24 AM
Godot23
I guess I got D then. I am going away until monday, but I will start working on it then.

My house is on fire
08-22-2013 at 04:50 AM
hyperme
Someone Else wrote:
It's all walls, pits, and water. But recommended for all other wall-like stuff (though changing the colour of the gates is totally allowed).

Um, this post doesn't actually seem to convey information. Are you trying to say that water and pits should match as well as walls? Because if so, that should be in the level post,

08-22-2013 at 12:32 PM
Ezlo
So just to clarify, with our room pairs we first set up walls, pits, and water however we like making sure that they are identical. Afterwards we take one room, fill it with monsters, then take the other room and fill it with treasure?
08-23-2013 at 01:15 AM
Someone Else
No, no. You take one room, and build walls, pit, water however you like. Then you copy that to the other room and fill both with treasure and monsters.
08-23-2013 at 03:07 AM
The Stew Boy
Rank Points: 247
I'll take E. I'm assuming those are the entrance/exit rooms?
08-23-2013 at 05:32 AM
Someone Else
The ones south of E? Yes.
08-23-2013 at 06:00 AM
hyperme
I've submitted my rooms to the email provided. I'm assuming no response means that I didn't screw up and mismatch a tile somewhere, and any tricks I may have pulled are allowed.

Of course maybe Someone Else just hasn't checked his email in a while.

08-29-2013 at 02:48 PM
Godot23
I'm working on it. I have been busy but I am making progress.

My house is on fire
08-29-2013 at 05:23 PM
Someone Else
Yeah, I've got about half of the responses. I'll PM those who haven't submitted yet later today.
08-30-2013 at 01:13 PM
Ezlo
Mine should be done tonight.
08-30-2013 at 05:00 PM
Someone Else
So, in trying to import Nuntar's room, I applied the latest (beta) patch. And DROD RPG won't start. I'm going to see if I can roll it back, etc.
09-03-2013 at 01:45 PM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
Someone Else wrote:
So, in trying to import Nuntar's room, I applied the latest (beta) patch. And DROD RPG won't start. I'm going to see if I can roll it back, etc.
It would be helpful to pin down this issue. I can't reproduce it on my end. Can you provide your drod.err and DataPath.txt files? We shouldn't officially release the new version until we get this startup issue resolved.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
09-03-2013 at 02:30 PM
Page 1 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : Mysterious Contributions (HA2 is nearly done, so I thought we might as well try another!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com