Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : Magic Wand (Proof of Concept)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Lucky Luc
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1215
IP: Logged

File: The Magician.drh (3.2 KB)
Downloaded 70 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Magic Wand (+1)  
So, DROD RPG has turned out to be much more fun than I expected it to be, well done Caravel! Of course I also had to try out the editor. Unfortunately I'm still too bad of a player to try some real architecture, I think, but I did already really enjoy the merits of the elaborate scripting engine. Here's something I came up with that I suppose to be both usable in an accessory swap chain as well as to have some puzzle potential on its own: the Magic Wand!

There isn't much to this hold yet, only one level without any monsters and only some pretty basic puzzles. I think there's not much sense in explaining the magic wand, you should probably just check it out yourself ;) .

Thanks to skell for a really informative scripting reference! And last, a question: When I try to alter my stats in the editor with F4 and set _Accessory=20001, the game keeps beeping and a picture of a decoy/soulless shows up in the accessory slot. Any ideas why?
04-09-2013 at 06:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Gordius
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 91
icon Re: Magic Wand (0)  
That's a fun item, and a simple/clean set of puzzles to go with it. In the interest of incorporating this into larger holds, it might be worth considering a cost (probably HP, but I could see greckles or REP working) associated with casting it. That allows for optimization and limits the extent to which players can just fire willy-nilly.

And, since I'm terrible at scripting, I would propose that a second scripted item, a mirrored wall-type, could offer interesting possibilities, or else apply that concept to the movable mirrors, rather than just having them block the beam.
04-09-2013 at 06:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Suwako
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 145
Wow, that script is fun and amazing, and with a standard level it can be excellent. Great job.

04-10-2013 at 04:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Lucky Luc
Thank you both, glad you liked it! Feel free to modify or use the script if you want to, it might still take a while until I create a reasonable hold using it myself.

Gordius wrote: In the interest of incorporating this into larger holds, it might be worth considering a cost (probably HP, but I could see greckles or REP working) associated with casting it. That allows for optimization and limits the extent to which players can just fire willy-nilly.

I like that idea, that might open up some interessting posibillities. Implementing it would be easy, too. I guess I (or someone else) will have to try to build some real level with it first, though, before I can judge what's an appropriate cost.

And, since I'm terrible at scripting, I would propose that a second scripted item, a mirrored wall-type, could offer interesting possibilities, or else apply that concept to the movable mirrors, rather than just having them block the beam.

Funny you'd say that, because, if I understood correctly what you suggest, that is already implemented for movable mirrors. In fact, that's how you were supposed to solve 1W (didn't think of what my own script was could do, d'oh). Adding a mirror-wall NPC isn't quite trivial and doesn't seem worth the effort. You could, however, easily apply it to Image Walls and give them a fitting texture if you really want to use something like it.
04-11-2013 at 07:43 PM
Gordius
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 91
Lucky Luc wrote:
Funny you'd say that, because, if I understood correctly what you suggest, that is already implemented for movable mirrors. In fact, that's how you were supposed to solve 1W (didn't think of what my own script was could do, d'oh). Adding a mirror-wall NPC isn't quite trivial and doesn't seem worth the effort. You could, however, easily apply it to Image Walls and give them a fitting texture if you really want to use something like it.

Ah, I see how you intended to that to be solved. I just blew up the bombs first. In terms of mirroring, I meant having the beam come in from one corner and go out another.
04-12-2013 at 09:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Lucky Luc
Sorry for the delay, I've been a bit busy lately.

Now I understood your idea, and I thought about it quite a bit. On the one hand, it doesn't seem very DROD-like to have something like that but rather like Laser Tank or something. On the other hand, this element wasn't very DROD-like in the first place, and I can totally see this being a lot of fun concerning puzzle creation, so I've decided to give it a try; after all it's just a proof of concept anyway. However, scripting it isn't quite trivial, especially since "Wait for entity" doesn't work as nicely as "Wait for item" does. I'll try to come up with a solution though and post it once it's done (which might still take a while).
04-25-2013 at 10:31 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : Magic Wand (Proof of Concept)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com