Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Mastermind Free-For-All (Its not August yet so its not Battleships)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
brian_s
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 587
IP: Logged
icon Mastermind Free-For-All (+2)  
The basic idea of this contest is many people will play a game of Mastermind simultaneously, trying to guess the same combination. Full rules are as follows:

- I will not play, instead I am the moderator.
- The combination will be a string of letters A-Z
- The length of the combination will be equal to the number of players.
- The number of possible characters will be 1.5 times the number of players. For example if 6 people are playing then there will be 9 possible characters A-I.
- Five players is the minimum.
- At the beginning of the game I will send each player a PM stating one of the characters in the combination.
- Each round will consist of all the players sending me a PM of their guess. After the deadline I will post a summary of guesses and the next round will begin.

I am making a signup deadline of April 14th. On April 15th the contest will begin.

Signup is closed, the game is now underway.

[Last edited by brian_s at 04-15-2013 04:56 PM]
04-07-2013 at 08:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1304
icon Re: Mastermind Free-For-All (0)  
I like it. I'm in.
04-07-2013 at 10:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
Same here.
04-07-2013 at 11:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
Yup yup yup. One, please.
brian_s wrote: After the deadline I will post a summary of guesses and the next round will begin.
What will be included in this summary? Both the guess and the responses?

[Last edited by RoboBob3000 at 04-08-2013 12:54 AM]
04-08-2013 at 12:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Godot23
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 114
Count me in! Sounds like fun!

My house is on fire
04-08-2013 at 02:37 AM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
Count me in too, this sounds pretty interesting. The fact that there's hidden information should make this better than just a straightforward game, where it's just a matter of optimally pruning the search space.

04-08-2013 at 03:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
blorx1
Rank Points: 920
I'll play.

04-08-2013 at 04:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
The spitemaster
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 354
I'm in. Can you elaborate on the rules of mastermind? And then how you are changing it for multiplayers.

I wish that man would stay away

[Last edited by The spitemaster at 04-08-2013 05:45 AM]
04-08-2013 at 05:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
I will play I guess, but if everything is hidden, what will the spectators see?

04-08-2013 at 01:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
brian_s

File: Sample.JPG (26.3 KB)
Downloaded 72 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Mastermind Free-For-All (+1)  
I have attached an example of results for a round of play for five players trying to guess the code ACEGA. The guesses displayed are guesses made by each player for the current round of play.

I will make a larger table for this game and provide a results screenshot like this example following each round of play.

04-08-2013 at 05:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Yeah, that's about what I expected. Everyone's guesses become public at the end of a round.

The tricky part is that "each player gets a PM with one of the characters in the combination". This means you have to pay close attention to other people's guesses, in an attempt to derive their strategy. With enough guesswork, you might even be able to figure out what they were told in their PM, based upon what their guessing strategy is.

We have a particularly long string to guess - it could have as many as 15 to 30 characters in it - so there's going to be a long history of guesses to examine.

Of course, you can only write a computer program to help you once you know what you're looking for O:-

04-08-2013 at 07:42 PM
da rogu3
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 491
I'll play.
04-08-2013 at 09:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
brian_s
We have nine players for this game. The code is 9 letters long and is composed of letters in the range A-N. I have sent everyone their PMs with two clues, one is a letter in the code and the other is a letter not in the code.

The deadline for guess submissions will be 11:00 AM April 17th
04-15-2013 at 04:54 PM
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
Can you put that in an untiltime tag? Not sure what timezone you're using.
04-15-2013 at 10:09 PM
brian_s

File: Round 1.JPG (47.8 KB)
Downloaded 70 times.
Round 1 results attached. Round 2 deadline is April 19th 11:00 AM CDT. Time left: negative 574 weeks, 6 days

[Last edited by brian_s at 04-17-2013 06:18 PM]
04-17-2013 at 06:16 PM
brian_s
Between a busy day for me and the fact that only half the players have responded this round, I'm extending the deadline to tomorrow at 11:00AM. You now have negative 574 weeks, 5 days left.
04-19-2013 at 04:08 PM
brian_s

File: Round 2.JPG (48.4 KB)
Downloaded 62 times.
Round 2 results attached. Round 3 might be the last round. You have until 11:00am Monday to get your guesses in, that is negative 574 weeks, 3 days from now.
04-20-2013 at 05:10 PM
brian_s
Done already! Someone Else, TripleM, RoboBob3000, blorx1, and da rogu3 all determined the correct code KEAHNFBGM.
04-22-2013 at 05:24 PM
Chaco
Sorry I didn't participate in rounds 2 and 3. Some unexpected real-life stuff came up and I didn't have time to properly attend to this.

I'm glad to see you guys all managed to guess the code by round 3 even though four of us didn't give you information during round 2. :)

04-22-2013 at 05:59 PM
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
The main reason it was solved by Round 3 was that there was so much information given out at once.

Was anybody else trying to get ahead by asking others for their data? I asked everybody in the game for their information, and four people responded with their correct information. If I were smart I would have not made a guess in Round 2 (or a more informative guess in round 1), but I made the assumption that after round 2 there would be enough information for everybody to get the solve, and took a stab at a valid guess.

04-22-2013 at 06:17 PM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1304
Heh, I should have suspected something. But I had it down to something like 14 possibilities, so I also took a stab at it. Also, I think it might have been better if there was at least one duplicate - harder to guess that way.

[Last edited by Someone Else at 04-22-2013 06:56 PM]
04-22-2013 at 06:55 PM
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5383
Boston RoboBob3000 said:
Was anybody else trying to get ahead by asking others for their data? I asked everybody in the game for their information, and four people responded with their correct information. If I were smart I would have not made a guess in Round 2 (or a more informative guess in round 1), but I made the assumption that after round 2 there would be enough information for everybody to get the solve, and took a stab at a valid guess.
Note to self: Never trust RoboBob in a multiplayer game.

04-22-2013 at 07:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Mastermind Free-For-All (Its not August yet so its not Battleships)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com