Announcement: Please read the Rules Topic for some general rules and etiquette before using the Hints and Solutions system.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Level 3 complete (?) blue gate blocking
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Poster Message
freda
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
IP: Logged
icon Level 3 complete (?) blue gate blocking (0)  
I thought I had completed this level. At least I cannot find any more rooms. I'll list those I've conquered, perhaps someone could point out what I've missed.... I know where the exit room is, but the blue gate is still blocking, indicating there's a loose end left somewhere.

Rooms conquered:
Thrice North
Thrice North, Once East
Twice North, Once West
Twice North
Twice North, Once East
Once North, Once West
Once North
Once North, Once East
Once West
The Entrance
Once East
Once South, Twice West
Once South, Once West
Once South
Once South, Once East
Twice South, Twice West
Twice South, Once West
Twice South
Twice South, Once East
Thrice South, Once West

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

~Freda

05-15-2003 at 05:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Scott
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 578
icon Re: Level 3 complete (?) blue gate blocking (0)  
Thats all the rooms. If they are indeed all complete and the blue door isn't open then I suggest you post that as a bug. Just visit every room again to make sure you didn't miss a monsterr first.
05-15-2003 at 07:33 AM
freda
One of the rooms I conquered didn't save in its empty state. Going back and reconquering it worked.

Thanks.

05-17-2003 at 05:18 AM
asterix
I had the same problem. I beat every room but the blue wall was still blocking me. I really really don't want to play the whole level over again just to figure out which room it thinks is incomplete.

Which room ended up being the one it was missing? Do you remember?
07-04-2003 at 04:58 AM
bdcribbs
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 390
No need to replay the level. Go to the restore screen. Poke around on the little map in the lower left corner. Any of the rooms still red? That's the one you need to resolve.

If you can't find a room that is still red, then you never entered it to begin with. Take a look at the room list above and compare with you're most recent saved game on the restore screen to determine which room you missed.
07-04-2003 at 05:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
asterix
icon Re: Re: Level 3 complete (?) blue gate blocking (0)  
Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, in fact almost all of the rooms become red when I click on them. Only the rooms that never had any monsters in them to begin with are white. In fact I tried clicking on a red room, clicking level start, restoring, and playing some red levels again. But when I went back to the Restore screen it was still red. So I'm not convinced that they ever turn white.

I also noticed on the restore screen that when you click on certain rooms, whole groups of rooms light up together (normally all of the rooms are dimmed except the one you had clicked on). What does that indicate?

Also, sometimes a room within a lighted group of rooms stays red even when I click on other rooms in that group (most rooms are only red when I click on them). What does that indicate?

07-04-2003 at 03:47 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Assuming you're not using the beta (the behavior was changed to something more sensible on the latest build), the restore screen loads the dungeon state as it was when you first entered the room, or at the time you conquered it, if applicable. This means that if there are three rooms, lets call them 1, 2, and 3, and you enter room 1, don't solve it, enter room 2, solve it, and enter room 3 and solve it, then if you try to restore room 1 then rooms 2 and 3 will turn red (because they were unsolved at the time room 1 was saved), if you restore room 2 room 3 will turn read (because it was unsolved at the time room 1 was saved), and if you restore room 3 rooms 2 and 3 will remain white.

This means that if you want to use the restore screen, you must always try to restore the last room you entered/solved, unless you managed to get yourself stuck. Clicking on an earlier room will revert other rooms to their unsolved state.

I hope that my explanation was clear - this is complicated behavior and it takes a while until one gets used to it...

07-04-2003 at 04:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
asterix
Thanks, that was a very helpful explanation. At first, I thought "restore" was just an "instant portal" that placed you in any of the rooms you've already beaten, but I guess you're right that it actually restores to the state things were in when you first visited the room. (I'm used to having to manually *Save* my state in games where you can *Restore* your state.)

It seems that it might be useful if someone were to add a feature where it overlaid a number on each room indicating the order in which you beat them so you know that if you restore to the room labelled "7", for example, any progress on rooms "8" and "9" would be lost.

But maybe there is already some way to tell in what order the rooms were beaten.

Anyway, it looks like Restore is not what I want to use in this case because then I lose all rooms I beat previously. I was probably just supposed to use the map on the Restore screen to *find* the red rooms and then go back to my in-progress game, navigate to the room the long way, and press R a couple of times to restart the room entirely...
07-04-2003 at 05:04 PM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
You can still do that! Just go to the Restore screen, and poke around some more.

07-04-2003 at 09:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
asterix
Those of you who are following my journey will pleased to know that I did find my way to the exit, finally. And no, there was not a bug with the game. I just somehow failed to notice that elusive 1N1W room as I was wandering around double checking all the rooms.

I just picked this game up again after not playing it for like 3 years. I just had this sudden craving for this game this week and was actually planning on registering the game with Webfoot. But when I did a search for DROD on Google I found, to my great surprise, that DROD is now open source and I don't have to pay a cent for it! :) Plus, it's even better now. I like the Restore feature.
07-05-2003 at 05:18 AM
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Level 3 complete (?) blue gate blocking
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com