Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Wonderquest : Frustration Level Mauve
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Trickster
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 662
IP: Logged
icon Frustration Level Mauve (0)  
I've been playing WQ. A lot. I would have done so earlier had I any idea that the later levels would be this awesome. Learning that resources are "per room" definitely re-cemented this as a solid puzzle game.

Anyway, I have two points of frustration about which I must bitch. I don't want hints; I just want to know if I am insane and should continue trying to find what I'm looking for.

1) I have stepped on every tile in Master Orion Twelfth Level, and yet I only have 4 of 5 secrets. There are no hidden walls anywhere in the level, and only two red secrets were ever revealed. I even restarted the level to play through it again, to no avail.

My best guess is that
Click here to view the secret text
...but I'm pretty sure I checked there tile-by-tile as well.

Is there actually a fifth secret in there somewhere that is attainable on a second run through the level? Yes or no will suffice.

2) In Dreams First Level, one of the code rooms has vexed me. It doesn't help that:
* WonderQuest doesn't recognize Dvorak
* My keyboard is blank
* Only about one-third of the keypresses register because of the way you're polling the keyboard for input (including backspace)
* Sometimes the answer must be a number and sometimes it must be the number word spelled out, and for this one there's no hint as to which one is correct

The code room that vexes me is the one asking about the number of eyes. I've tried lots of conceivable options (I list some below) both in numeric form, word form, and even spelled incorrectly in case the author made an error. I know this room is non-essential but I want to gouge my own eyes out now.

The stuff I've tried:

So again, no hints--just let me know if I'm crazy or what.

Thanks! Great game, by the way. Really magnificent. Anyone making it through Master Orion will be hooked for good. (I still can't figure out the editor, though...deleting spaces does not seem to work.)

Official Hold Progress

Favorite Unofficial Holds (I need to play more!)

My Holds

01-21-2013 at 01:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
googa
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 282
icon Re: Frustration Level Mauve (+1)  
I really don't remember most of the things about WQ, but I still remember there was a question like: "How many eyes can you see in this room?" or something like that...

This is evil, I know...

Edit:
(I still can't figure out the editor, though...deleting spaces does not seem to work.)

Try RMB + LMB, (drag a box).

[Last edited by googa at 01-21-2013 03:46 AM]
01-21-2013 at 03:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Trickster
icon Re: Frustration Level Mauve (0)  
I appreciate the response, but I don't want hints. I just want to know whether MO:12 does indeed have five secrets, and whether the eye code is actually guessable.

Official Hold Progress

My Holds

01-21-2013 at 04:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
googa
Could you give me more info, like the question that's being asked, pics, etc.

You can read the first hint, I guess.
01-21-2013 at 07:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Trickster
googa wrote:
Could you give me more info, like the question that's being asked, pics, etc.

You can read the first hint, I guess.
You're right about the question, and I've tried:

...and about a dozen other variations, and several dozen numbers that made some amount of sense at the time.

As for the other question, it's the volcano level. The secrets I remember having found before:

I haven't given up yet, though. I don't think I ever do that.

Official Hold Progress

My Holds

01-21-2013 at 08:30 PM
googa

I dont have the game installed right now. But dont worry, you can restore and go for the secrets later.
01-22-2013 at 12:39 AM
Trickster
googa wrote:
I dont have the game installed right now. But dont worry, you can restore and go for the secrets later.
Alright, thanks. :)

I know there was at least one secret that you'd have to replay the entire level to find, which is why I asked. It was in Thirteen or Fourteen; I forget which. But at least it was a gold one (non-hidden).

Official Hold Progress

My Holds

01-22-2013 at 12:47 AM
Trickster
For the record, I have solved everything except for three code pads, the hidden secret in the volcano in the first game, and the Seventh Master's Challenge (this is the only normal room I cannot yet beat--what a horrible, horrible, awfully nightmarish piece of work this is; I hope someday TFMurphy or mxvladi is unlucky enough to play it).

Some of the code pads are unforgivably difficult and obscure (some of the ones I *have* guessed, I mean, so I know they are). When you start writing programs to perform complex statistical analysis on proper nouns in Chinese under various Romanizations, you've hit bottom...

EDIT: I should mention that several of the Master's Challenges admit unintended solutions, and I could not figure out what the intended approach was supposed to be. But, not Seventh. I hate you so much, Seventh.

Official Hold Progress

My Holds

[Last edited by Trickster at 03-02-2013 01:13 AM]
03-02-2013 at 01:08 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Wonderquest : Frustration Level Mauve
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com