Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Whoa
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Hoff
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 42
IP: Logged
icon Whoa (0)  
Holy crap, this game's great! I thought I already knew of all the Linux games that were worth playing.

Anyway, I thought it'd be cool to port it to the Sega Dreamcast, depending on exactly how it's written. What are its dependancies? Yeah, I could look and find out for myself... but eh.

-- John
08-23-2004 at 11:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Scott
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 578
icon Re: Whoa (0)  
I suggest you have a look at the development fourm.
08-24-2004 at 12:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2388
Hurrah! The word's getting out there. For any Gentoo Linux users that somehow stumbled across the site and don't know what DROD is, it's in the games package. I mean one of them.

Now all we need to do is get slashdotted, then the site goes down, and I regret everything I said.

Matt

08-24-2004 at 03:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
trick
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2580
icon Re: Whoa (+1)  
Hoff wrote:
Holy crap, this game's great! I thought I already knew of all the Linux games that were worth playing.
Just wait till you see DROD 2 :P
Anyway, I thought it'd be cool to port it to the Sega Dreamcast, depending on exactly how it's written. What are its dependancies? Yeah, I could look and find out for myself... but eh.
One problem with that is that a Dreamcast port wouldn't have any sound at all, because FMOD (the sound lib that DROD uses) is closed source, and no Dreamcast port exists. I think there's a define you can use to disable the sound code, so building it shouldn't be much of a problem (assuming the other dependencies are okay), but if you want sound you would have to rewrite all the sound code. Also, I'm not sure how DROD will like the bits and endianness of the Dreamcast... (It's 128-bit, isn't it ?)

If you want to try anyway, the dependencies are: libstdc++v3's pod_char_traits.h (in libstdc++ CVS), Metakit 2.4.9.3, Zlib 1.2.1, Expat 1.95.8, SDL 1.2.7, FMOD 3.7.3, FreeType 2.1.4, and SDL_ttf 2.0.6 (Well, actually, the dependencies are that even if you don't want to try). I'd recommend getting the source first :), then cd into Master/Linux and run make (without any arguments) for info about how to build the Linux version. You can probably base the Dreamcast build on that.
Mattcrampy wrote:
Hurrah! The word's getting out there. For any Gentoo Linux users that somehow stumbled across the site and don't know what DROD is, it's in the games package. I mean one of them.
Yeah, you just do an "emerge drod-bin", and it'll be downloaded and installed automagically. They haven't updated it to 1.6.6 yet, though, although they're aware that it's out, so hopefully it won't be long until they do.

- Gerry

[Edited by mrimer on 08-24-2004 at 06:54 PM GMT: updated Matekit version]
08-24-2004 at 04:16 PM
Hoff
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 42
If you want to try anyway, the dependencies are: libstdc++v3's pod_char_traits.h (in libstdc++ CVS), Metakit 2.4.9.3, Zlib 1.2.1, Expat 1.95.8, SDL 1.2.7, FMOD 3.7.3, FreeType 2.1.4, and SDL_ttf 2.0.6
Hmmm, okay... yeah, it sounds like FMOD (as you said) would be the only major thing that would need a rewrite. Everything else either already has a port or should compile cleanly (famous last words :) )
Also, I'm not sure how DROD will like the bits and endianness of the Dreamcast... (It's 128-bit, isn't it ?)
Actually, I'm pretty sure it's 32 bit, and I think the CPU runs in little-endian mode. Which is awesome.

-- John
08-25-2004 at 01:30 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Whoa
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com