Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Webfoot DROD music
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
fatass
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 32
IP: Logged
icon Webfoot DROD music (0)  
Any place I can get it? I recently formatted my hard drive, and forgot to back up the original music.
05-11-2003 at 06:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
krammer
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 904
icon Re: Webfoot DROD music (0)  
If you like I can zip them up and send them to you. I don't think you'll find them anywhere on the net since Underdogs took Webfoot DROD down.

"Oook!"
05-11-2003 at 06:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
fatass wrote:
Any place I can get it? I recently formatted my hard drive, and forgot to back up the original music.
I spoke with Lars about making his original music available, and he agreed, but he wanted to avoid having the music be distributed to people other than DROD players and maybe getting used in something else without his permission. To help with this, I changed his music files so that Caravel DROD will play them but not other media players. I put them in an archive with instructions on how to install them. This archive is here:

http://www.drod.net/files/LKAMusic.zip

However, there have been several problems getting the music to play for different users. I believe they will be alleviated in the next release of Caravel DROD, which includes an updated sound library (FMOD). It is possible that you can get the music working with the current release of Caravel, but for now I am offering the archive as-is. I don't want to spend time troubleshooting the problems now, because the next release probably solves them.

Another caveat: if you do get the music to play you will almost certainly run into problems with some tracks being too quiet, weird-sounding instruments, etc. These are the perils of the MIDI format, and the reason for not releasing Caravel DROD with the original music which I enjoyed very much.

-Erik

05-11-2003 at 09:48 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
krammer
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 904
Does that mean the next release will have the Webfoot music included with it? Because I much preferred the Webfoot music and it would be nice to have the best of both games in one package.

"Oook!"
05-12-2003 at 12:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
icon Re: Re: Webfoot DROD music (0)  
krammer wrote:
Does that mean the next release will have the Webfoot music included with it? Because I much preferred the Webfoot music and it would be nice to have the best of both games in one package.
I don't plan to do that. Mainly, because the MIDI format of the original music will play inconsistently on different systems, and generate bug reports as well as bad experiences. Also, I don't like distributing extra files when it is easy enough to download Lars' music as a separate component and install it. No need to bloat the main download.

-Erik

[Edited by ErikH2000 on 05-12-2003 at 06:00 PM]

05-12-2003 at 05:53 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
fatass
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 32
icon Re: Re: Webfoot DROD music (0)  
ErikH2000 wrote:
I put them in an archive with instructions on how to install them. This archive is here:

http://www.drod.net/files/LKAMusic.zip
-Erik

Shouldn't the "Music" folder be in the "Data" folder? That might be why some people had problems.
05-16-2003 at 05:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
icon Re: Re: Re: Webfoot DROD music (0)  
fatass wrote:
Shouldn't the "Music" folder be in the "Data" folder? That might be why some people had problems.
Yes, it should.

There is a directory structure saved in the zip file. If you extract the whole thing to the data directory, it should put the music files in the already-existing "music" directory and drod.ini into the "data" directory. There is usually an option in the extraction software somewhere for retaining the archive's directory structure or not, but the default is usually to recreate the same structure as the archive has.

Are you able to play the music?

-Erik

05-16-2003 at 06:09 PM
ErikH2000
icon Re: Re: Re: Re: Webfoot DROD music (0)  
ErikH2000 wrote:
There is a directory structure saved in the zip file. If you extract the whole thing to the data directory, it should put the music files in the already-existing "music" directory and drod.ini into the "data" directory.

"Should" is the keyword here. The directory structure is wrong. Hey, maybe that *is* the problem people have had.

Will reupload the archive in a bit.

-Erik

05-16-2003 at 06:12 PM
ErikH2000
Okay, it is fixed. Thanks for the clue, F.

-Erik

05-16-2003 at 06:33 PM
Malarame
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 220
The Webfoot music was good, but I happen to like the Caravel music more. From what people have been saying, though, it seems like I'm in the minority.

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception."
-Groucho Marx
05-18-2003 at 04:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Webfoot DROD music
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com