Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : Treasure Pyramid (Can you survive the Pyramid's deadly traps and claim the treasure? (UNFINISHED!))
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Midootje
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 109
IP: Logged

File: Treasure Pyramid.drh (7.2 KB)
Downloaded 72 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Treasure Pyramid (+1)  
Hello folks,
This is my first throw at dungeon designing. I love DROD RPG and everything it includes, and I've played every hold that has been made at least twice, but unfortunately new holds aren't exactly stacking up, so I've decided to make my own.
Attached here is the first level (has NOT been balanced yet, but the idea is there). I especially like the puzzle in 1S1W, which IS solvable without using a key, but it will require almost perfect coördination. The intro and the story are fillers so far, I'll be making the intro better after I figure out how to include cinematics and tranferring from level to level without stairs.
I was hoping to get some comments/ideas on the level, and I want to ask if you see any future in a hold like this.
I've made the hold Anyone Edit, so please take a look if you wish. I'll balance and finish The Dungeon after I figure out the solutions to the aforementioned problems.

11-14-2012 at 12:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Suwako
Rank Points: 145
icon Re: Treasure Pyramid (0)  
Hello, it's always nice to see a hold here :D, comments:

The first level is just imposible without the secrets, don't make them obligatory, they are just a help to someone who found them.

The secret room at 1E can be passed with 10 greckles more, when you open a door, you can close again by pressing a key, and you can take the grappling hook to make it easier (i used it).

The puzzle at 1S 1W is excellent, I solved it without a key. And the trapdoor puzzle at 1N 1W also :)

In conclusion i liked the hold but i didn't finish it, cause i couldn't go to the secret room at 2N 1W. I saw that after in the editor. That helped?

11-14-2012 at 04:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Gordius
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 91
I got the blue key, but can't imagine how I could have retained enough health to kill the slayer back there. Also, there don't appear to be enough attack gems in the pre-blue key hold to make killing the mad eye beyond the blue gate possible, which makes the choice in that room a false one.
11-14-2012 at 11:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Nuntar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 4590
Interesting hold so far :thumbsup I haven't got very far yet -- it looks like you need all the available ATK to kill the mud mother, including the one behind eight greckle gates, so you need to kill everything in the right order so as to have enough HP left over after that.

I found what must be an unintended solution in 1S1W -- hit the top-left, bottom-left and middle-left orbs in that order.

Include "Imperative hide stat changes" in your setup character -- this stops the initial changes appearing as floating numbers ;)

To transfer between levels without stairs, first place a level entrance, then use this script:

Imperative Restart script on entrance
Wait for entity Player at (square)
Go to room level entrance "name"

11-15-2012 at 01:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Midootje
Thanks for the feedback guys! Indeed, this thing is definitely not balanced yet, but I wanted to know if you sort of 'feel the magic' that makes creating and playing a hold worthwhile.
Suwako wrote:
The first level is just imposible without the secrets, don't make them obligatory, they are just a help to someone who found them.
The secret room at 1E can be passed with 10 greckles more, when you open a door, you can close again by pressing a key, and you can take the grappling hook to make it easier (i used it).
I'll make sure next time to put in enough health and stats for an average player to make it to the end of the level. I think I'll include an extra room, allowing for some more preparation. Thanks for noticing the grappling hook can be taken with you after the puzzle in 1N1W! I'll fix that in a rather silly way, cause there's no more space in the room to include an extra arrow AND a detour to the mud baby.
Gordius wrote:
Also, there don't appear to be enough attack gems in the pre-blue key hold to make killing the mad eye beyond the blue gate possible, which makes the choice in that room a false one.
This is meant to be, because this level is supposed to be re-entered after exited. The trapdoors allow only one re-entry, so there will be a time when the remaining items in this level should be cleared out before sealing this level off. There will NOT be an available inventory, so there's no cheating this method.
Nuntar, thanks for the help. I've read most of the Help on Level/Room Editor, but I couldn't find this bit.
Nuntar wrote: I found what must be an unintended solution in 1S1W -- hit the top-left, bottom-left and middle-left orbs in that order.
Oops, didn't see that one coming. I tested the room a few times, but fortunately this mistake is now corrected by making two orbs NOT affect the second door.

Updates may take a while, since university is starting to ask more from us, but I'll be sure to work on this every week.

[Last edited by Midootje at 11-15-2012 07:29 AM]
11-15-2012 at 07:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Midootje
Well, brainstorming can give great ideas. I've been thinking about how to make this hold interesting, instead of 'just another get-as-many-stats-as-possible-as-soon-as-possible' hold. I've now come up with Shrines (like the Machines in TT) that use REP when buying stats. However, monsters (ALL monsters) will give less REP the better stats you have. This means keeping your stats as LOW as possible might, in some cases, be profitable in the long run! Don't worry, the reward boundaries per monster will be explained once per type of monster. It won't be all about guessing what stats you need to get that little extra REP.
Now, I'll be busy the next few weeks adding this information for every monster in the hold, creating a good storyline intro, and adding to / balancing The Dungeon. I expect to see some real work done in about three to four weeks. Already looking forward to your reactions by then!

[Last edited by Midootje at 11-15-2012 07:31 PM]
11-15-2012 at 07:31 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : Treasure Pyramid (Can you survive the Pyramid's deadly traps and claim the treasure? (UNFINISHED!))
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com