Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : I noticed something about browsing long threads (And I must share this with you)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Pekka
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 302
IP: Logged
icon I noticed something about browsing long threads (0)  
I discovered a nice board feature by accidentally clicking on something I didn't mean to. You know how when you are browsing a board or a thread and there is a list of pages that looks a little like this:

1 | 2 | 3 | >>

and it has the page you are currently viewing in a different style while the other page numbers are links to the pages in question? You must do.

Well, guess what? You can click on the currently open page number and it opens a little drop down menu with which you can jump directly to any page in the full list. The full list isn't always displayed if it's longer than a couple of numbers. You can just directly go anywhere in the thread you want, and not just the nearby pages or the beginning/end.

This makes browsing long threads and the archives a little easier and a little more fun. Whoever developed this feature deserves praise. Seriously. I feel like I've just joined a secret club. There this secret club of people who can just go to any page on the current thread they like, any time. (I hope it really isn't a secret club. I mean, here I am, talking about it in the open.)

Little things make me happy, sometimes. This is one of them.
10-03-2012 at 07:48 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
rman
Rank Points: 371
icon Re: I noticed something about browsing long threads (0)  
Ah, yes. It took me some time to figure it out, too.

Maybe it has to be made clearer somehow.
(Or maybe its a little secret which people are intended to discover on their own, in which case this thread has just ruined it.)

Best quote ever (TSS ending spoiler):
Click here to view the secret text

10-03-2012 at 08:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Damien
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 42
You can also change the page number directly in the URL, which is even more incredibly high-tech.

10-04-2012 at 12:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Pekka
Rank Points: 302
icon Re: I noticed something about browsing long threads (+1)  
Sadly, typing page numbers into the URL bar for pages that don't actually exist doesn't make new discussion turn up out of nowhere. Not to mention that you have to go through all kinds of motions switching from mouse to keyboard and back again if you normally use a mouse. I prefer to browse the web in an immobile state of sedate stupor. :)

[Last edited by Pekka at 10-04-2012 03:36 PM : fixed typo]
10-04-2012 at 03:35 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Damien
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 42
Pekka wrote:
Sadly, typing page numbers into the URL bar for pages that don't actually exist doesn't make new discussion turn up out of nowhere.
You need to enable the "seer" function, I don't know if it's available on Firefox, Chrome, IE or Opera. I'm using Loxias myself.

(Achievement unlocked: obscurest reference.)

10-06-2012 at 12:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : I noticed something about browsing long threads (And I must share this with you)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com