Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Webfoot DROD
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
spiderlady
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 18
IP: Logged
icon Webfoot DROD (0)  
where can I get webfoot DROD? anyone know?

08-22-2004 at 12:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1939
icon Re: Webfoot DROD (0)  
Webfoot DROD is classified as Illegal Abandonware. If you find it, you would be in possesion of something you aren't suppost to have. The best part of Webfoot was the music anyway, and you can get that as a seperate download on DROD.net.

-Patrick

08-22-2004 at 12:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
That's a bit harsh... there's certainly plenty of business and moral issues surrounding abandonware that are unresolved.

But the basics are this - we don't own Webfoot, so we don't really encourage people to go out and get it. Caravel we do own, and we got permission from Webfoot to make it. Also, Caravel is superior in nearly every way (the music in Webfoot's pretty good, but then again, Emmett's stuff is really cool as well, so we should be right there.)

Matt

08-22-2004 at 03:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
wackhead_uk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 352
You can get the demo on some demo discs - that's how me and some friends found DROD
08-22-2004 at 02:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
spiderlady
wackhead_uk wrote:
You can get the demo on some demo discs - that's how me and some friends found DROD
Wher can i obtain the demo disks?

08-23-2004 at 06:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
dividendD
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 44
spiderlady wrote:
Where can i obtain the demo disks?

Try looking in CD's thst hsve lots of ahareware products. That's how I found it, even though I didn't mean to, since I never knew about it.
08-23-2004 at 04:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
[ITA]mich
Rank Points: 19
May I ask you why you want it? :huh Caravel is better anyway... and is legal.

Don't worry if you don't want to answer, I'm just curious by nature :D :D :D

Bye.
--
[ITA]mich.
08-23-2004 at 05:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
I've only played the demo that includes the first 3 levels, but here are my reasons:

1. It had a much faster repeat rate than CDROD (Caravel DROD). If you were to record the time it took to finish level 1 in both games, Webfoot would be done faster.

2. It had the neat feature of timed moves. If you didn't make a move in x amout of seconds, the move would count as a wait. I used that in all 3 demo levels and enjoyed it.

3. It was Thee First DROD...a pioneer in the day. Caravel DROD, much like a movie, would be considered a sequel and, if you've ever played a sequel first, you would like to see the original.

-Patrick

08-23-2004 at 11:40 PM
spiderlady
[ITA]mich wrote:
May I ask you why you want it? :huh Caravel is better anyway... and is legal.

Don't worry if you don't want to answer, I'm just curious by nature :D :D :D

Bye.
--
[ITA]mich.
Firstly, Webfoot DROD is a classic and you just don't change a classic. Like Tetris. People try to change Tetris and they just can't make it better because it isn't the original. Secondly, I liked the music better. i know that you can download it of the website but for some reason I am not able to. Thirdly,and I know that a lot of people will probably disagree with me on this, but I liked the graphics better. I played the first three levels on the demo and got addicted right away. I guess the bottom line is that I just don't get the same old-school feeling on Caravel I got when I played Webfoot.

08-25-2004 at 06:55 AM
jdyer
Rank Points: 330
Curious for some nostalgia after reading this message, I booted up my old copy of Webfoot.

My save game I stopped at turned out to be...

...at the three tar mother room on level 8. And I still can't finish it without checkpoints. Guh.

As a side note, I do like the increased speed and to some extent the instant room transitions.
08-25-2004 at 07:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
Ha! That's as far as I got in Webfoot too. I was so glad for checkpoints in Caravel...

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
08-25-2004 at 04:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
rowrow
Rank Points: 432
I have caravel and I think I did it the second time without checkpoints.( I went on them but I didn't get out.)

08-25-2004 at 05:22 PM
Phweengee
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 66
I have a legal copy of webfoot DROD from way back in the day. After they quit selling it, I wrote to them to ask them if I could host it for download on my site, and they said no. So yeah, even though no one's making money off of it, the copyright holder still has the final say, and if they want to be stubborn, they have the right to be.

08-29-2004 at 01:26 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Webfoot DROD
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com