Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : The vanishing signature (Possibly because of a special characters)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Pekka
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 302
IP: Logged
icon The vanishing signature (0)  
EDIT: Since making this post I've changed my signature.

I set up a new sig. While doing it I discovered that the signature I tried to set kept vanishing when I used the ellipsis character. I worked around this by using three periods in a row, which I suppose is wholly acceptable. But there may be a bug having to do with special characters at play. (Special here means it's just a Unicode character outside the basic ASCII range. Though I don't know if other Unicode character do this, I just came across this with the ellipsis character in question.)

I think this is repeatable for my account. If I take the text as currently appears on my signature, but remove the three consecutive periods and have the ellipsis character (actual copy of the character below) in its place, I cannot set it as my signature. If I press submit on the Modify page, the field for the signature just ends up empty.

If I don't use this particular character, my sig works just fine. You should be able to see it right now in fact.

EDIT: Since the bug is confirmed, I will now place the request for replicating it into a secret tag. You don't need to read it, we now know that several Unicode characters can cause the problem and the thread is marked as a confirmed bug.

Here's the ellipsis character I used:

Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Pekka at 09-05-2012 05:27 PM : just mentioning I've changed my sig (not that anyone would be confused :))]
08-21-2012 at 08:34 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Damien
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 42
icon Re: The vanishing signature (+1)  
I just post some special characters (accented letters and the like) in mine, and it turned out empty as well.

[Last edited by Damien at 08-22-2012 04:45 AM]
08-22-2012 at 04:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Pekka
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 302
icon Re: The vanishing signature (+1)  
I made a few quick tests and found out that sometimes the signature vanishes and sometimes one of the characters ends up being substituted by a numeric code, which allowed the site to keep the signature. Here are two one-word signatures that did not work for me. Bold tags added so they stand out.

¡Hola!

Kääk!

(Kääk is a Finnish interjection :))

When I tried the Polish barred L with the name Łukasiewicz, it turned into this (which should be six character before the letter u, of which three are digits):

Łukasiewicz

That apparently worked as a signature, though I removed it and went back to the one I had earlier. This probably means we can work around this feature by using numeric codes for the special letters. Still, it's a bit odd that if you sig is not valid, it just is removed without any warning. So I hope that the admins will treat this as a low-priority bug and look at it some day.

08-22-2012 at 04:54 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : The vanishing signature (Possibly because of a special characters)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com