Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Vector Racer (Uses Javascript; playable with pen and paper too)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Pekka
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 302
IP: Logged
icon Vector Racer (+2)  
Vector Racer is a Javascript implementation of a classic pen and paper game. You may have played this game in some form previously. Give it a try or read more below. Requires Javascript.

http://www.harmmade.com/vectorracer/

If you play this game on a piece of graph paper, it works as follows. You first draw a racetrack with starting and ending lines or points. Then you place your cars, typically one per player, in the starting line/point and start moving them from a point on the graph paper to another. You can either have the players take separate turns, or have everything happen simultaneously each turn. (There are a lot of possible variants for this game.)

The usual way to mark your cars is to use a specific character like o or x for each player, or possibly use differently colored pens, and always draw a line from the previous position to the new position each turn. You never have to erase anything, and you can easily find each players' positions by looking at where their consecutive line segments currently end. (Well, this assumes the race track does not cross itself multiple times. It usually isn't a good idea to make one like that.)

The cars start stationary and each turn you may change your speed by one step in both horizontal and vertical directions. Or, to put it more mathy way, you have a movement vector in the Cartesian coordinates and may change each component by -1, 0 or +1. That means that if you are going fast in one direction, it will several moves to turn around, so you could very well drive off the track if you are not careful. There are various penalties that can happen as a result of this. You usually come to a complete stop and may have to lose a turn or a few as a penalty.

Since it is a racing game, you have to be the first to make it to the goal position to win. It's really easy to get the hang of it by trying it. I hope my explanation didn't make it look confusing to anyone. There are fairly good AIs to play against, and the game site keeps track of fastest solutions. That means you can take it somewhat seriously too, or just play a few games for fun.

08-12-2012 at 08:48 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Vector Racer (Uses Javascript; playable with pen and paper too)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com