Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : I Wanna be the Guy: Gaiden (Sequel!)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
TripleM
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1373
IP: Logged
icon I Wanna be the Guy: Gaiden (+2)  
That's right, the awesomness that was ITBTG has a sequel! Currently three levels, but intended to be episodic, and can be downloaded from:

http://gamejolt.com/freeware/games/action/i-wanna-be-the-guy-gaiden/8598/

(Note there's a typo in the instructions; C is the key for the bionic arm; and it doesn't mention R is restart).

It's just as good as the original, if you liked the original; if you didn't like the original, don't bother ;)

For those who haven't played the original - IWBTG is an extremely difficult platformer, where the aim of the game is to kill you in as many ways as possible, all completely inobvious and normally rather hilarious.

If you want an idea of the hilarity, there's a great video at http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/i-wanna-be-the-guy-gaiden/1225454p1.html of some pro gamer playing it (looks like it's a slightly different version from the download) - great fun to watch.
07-23-2012 at 05:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
icon Re: I Wanna be the Guy: Gaiden (0)  
I did some streaming of Gaiden myself, actually. I intend to do it fully once I'm done publicly slogging through IWBTG the first.

it has /production values/, this one, but it fails to--they need to stop making the music restart, because hearing the first five seconds over and over again is unfun D:

07-23-2012 at 06:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
Yea, right, as if other games weren't already taking enough of my free time :P. Anyhow big rejoice, I haven't really believed the author will make a sequel.

... Just read the post and now all my hype kind of hyperventilated away. Since he isn't planning to finish it anytime soon I think I'd rather pass on this and wait for the big thing to be done :?

07-23-2012 at 06:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
RabidChild
Rank Points: 720
You mean to tell me there are people who have actually completed I Wanna Be The Guy?
07-23-2012 at 09:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
RabidChild wrote:
You mean to tell me there are people who have actually completed I Wanna Be The Guy?
It has that kind of reputation from the first impression it gives people but it's actually more fair than it looks like. Not easy but doable after you learn the traps.

The author had some... interesting design ideas with Gaiden though. Like there's this special difficulty setting that adds more enemies and traps, but it's not accessible anywhere in the game. The only way to play it without modifying the executable is if the creator triggers it (for all players!) with a signal via the Internet. And you can't disable it until the creator sends another signal. Why it's not just a separate difficulty setting is beyond me.
07-23-2012 at 10:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
TripleM wrote:
If you want an idea of the hilarity, there's a great video at http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/i-wanna-be-the-guy-gaiden/1225454p1.html of some pro gamer playing it (looks like it's a slightly different version from the download) - great fun to watch.
You know, I skipped around in the first 15 minutes and hardly saw any gameplay, but even better the first three minutes were so quiet the video blared out at me as soon as those two hosts(?) came on... UGH.

If you want IWBTGG hilarity, watch TotalBiscuits almost 22 agonizing minutes of trying to play the game... (viewer discretion due to obvious coarse British language advised)

07-23-2012 at 11:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
TripleM
Briareos wrote:
You know, I skipped around in the first 15 minutes and hardly saw any gameplay, but even better the first three minutes were so quiet the video blared out at me as soon as those two hosts(?) came on... UGH.

Did you see the text right underneath the video saying skip forward to 16:00 for gameplay? ;)

07-23-2012 at 11:32 PM
The spitemaster
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 354
Someone Else beat IWBTG.

I wish that man would stay away
07-24-2012 at 01:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
IWBTG wasn't really that hard. Right off the top of my head, I think Metroid on NES was more challenging, like some other games :P. And I absolutely hated the way the higher difficulty levels worked, simply removing the checkpoints (if they did anything else I never checked it, because I didn't want to even try to get through that crap :closedeyes).

I have thoroughly enjoyed the game though (The original, I have expressed my reasons not to play Gaiden) and I recommend it to any fellow game masochists.

07-24-2012 at 07:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Trickster
Rank Points: 662
skell wrote:
IWBTG wasn't really that hard. Right off the top of my head, I think Metroid on NES was more challenging, like some other games :P. And I absolutely hated the way the higher difficulty levels worked, simply removing the checkpoints (if they did anything else I never checked it, because I didn't want to even try to get through that crap :closedeyes).
WAT

Look, I can beat NES Ghosts 'n' Goblins (you know, the original one where you get three lives and that's it) without raising my pulse, but IWTBTG is very annoying.

I played it for a while on the medium difficulty, did the cloud stuff, then got to the Metroid areas, and even picked up a power up thingie there at one of the Chozo statues as I recall (which was annoying as hell to get, by the way). But it got so insanely difficult I wasn't having any fun at all replaying the same room twenty to thirty times in a row so I just stopped.

Hard can be fun, sure. But hard in and of itself != fun. If that were true I'd just play little games where I try to click the mouse exactly in time with a beep or something.

Official Hold Progress
Click here to view the secret text

Favorite Unofficial Holds (I need to play more!)

My Holds

07-25-2012 at 02:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
TripleM
I admit, I played the original on the easiest difficulty, which has a lot more save points. But I found the trial and error enjoyable mainly due to the fact that dying was funny every time - if it had gotten to the point where it was just plain annoying, I probably would have stopped, but there was nothing like finally getting past something, only to die in a completely unpredictable way.

It was also fascinating how you could be stuck on one section for a long time; but once you do it once, you can do it over and over again easily.
07-25-2012 at 04:18 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : I Wanna be the Guy: Gaiden (Sequel!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com