Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : DROD sloooows...to...a...cra...w...
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Tahnan
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2459
IP: Logged
icon DROD sloooows...to...a...cra...w... (+1)  
I can't be the only one who's noticed this: in some rooms in "Palace of fine dream" (e.g. "The travel beginning: 3E"), the game slows down insanely. I don't know what's special about that room, though it also happened in other rooms--I think they both had snow, but it's not every room with snow that does it. (Snow on purple platforms? I wish I could recall which other room.) Anyway, something's going on, and it's not just my computer, because the next room over performs just fine.

Edit: Aha! It was "The travel end: 6S2W" that was the other room--it, too, has snow over platforms. (Note that it's got nothing to do with the monsters; even when cleared, the rooms drag.)

[Last edited by Tahnan at 07-08-2012 01:29 AM]
07-08-2012 at 12:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
icon Re: DROD sloooows...to...a...cra...w... (+1)  
In playing this hold, I noticed the same slowdown. The thing that tied the slow rooms together was gigantic room-filling platforms.

07-08-2012 at 01:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Trickster
Rank Points: 662
icon Re: DROD sloooows...to...a...cra...w... (0)  
I tried to get to 3E and was unable to easily, so I used the editor.

I have a brand new system that is amazeballs fast with an excellent graphics card, and even I have a noticeable slowdown. Weather (snow, rain, and fog) + large platforms (water seems slightly worse than pit but both have the problem) = slower movement.

If something could be tweaked in this case to optimize performance, it should. I've done high-end graphics stuff before and I don't know what would be causing this kind of a delay. (Aren't the weather effects running on separate threads...?)

Official Hold Progress
Click here to view the secret text

Favorite Unofficial Holds (I need to play more!)

My Holds

07-09-2012 at 03:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5058
Trickster wrote:
(Aren't the weather effects running on separate threads...?)
Nope! And the graphical effects are all rendered in software.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
07-09-2012 at 07:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Trickster
mrimer wrote:
Trickster wrote:
(Aren't the weather effects running on separate threads...?)
Nope! And the graphical effects are all rendered in software.
Since the weather has no gameplay effect outside of dependency on lighting and shadows, it seems like multithreading weather might produce a significant performance improvement for the large-platform issue. I'll defer to your wisdom on that, though.

(At the very least, an architect should perhaps receive a warning if they use weather and platforms together.)

Official Hold Progress

My Holds

07-10-2012 at 12:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
starwed
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 49
Weather (snow, rain, and fog) + large platforms (water seems slightly worse than pit but both have the problem) = slower movement.

I noticed this in Drod 4, actually -- can't recall off the top of my head, but the level where the first room has water, several platforms and fog was almost unplayable on my Macbook Air. (Which while not especially beefy, can at least play things like HL2 pretty well. I guess if everything is being rendered in software that explains the difference.)
07-18-2012 at 12:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5058
We'll look into this issue as soon as we can to see whether something in the rendering can be optimized for this case.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
07-18-2012 at 04:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
icon Re: DROD sloooows...to...a...cra...w... (+3)  
I'm wondering - in this thread I had a similar problem under Windows 7 64-bit and solved it by adding an option to DROD that always painted the whole screen in one go instead of updating only the changed parts.

Now, I've never tested this outside of Windows, but since it isn't platform specific maybe it can also work for you guys?

Just set "AlwaysFullBlit=1" in the "[Customizing]" section of drod.ini and see if it helps...

np: The Black Dog - Heavy Industry (Liber Temple (Book 2 Ov 3))

07-18-2012 at 07:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Trickster
mrimer wrote:
We'll look into this issue as soon as we can to see whether something in the rendering can be optimized for this case.
Just for the record--my fiancee built this new machine and he says it should be able to run any state-of-the-art game out there at max graphics, more or less. So slowdown is a bit surprising here, even if it only happens when the platforms are large and one or more environmental effects are on. I simulated the problem easily by making max snow, fog, cloud shadows, lightning, a huge platform the size of the room, and Robert Loggia.

I'll try the workaround Briareos suggested later and see how much that speeds things up, if any.

Official Hold Progress

My Holds

07-19-2012 at 06:41 AM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Trickster wrote:
I'll try the workaround Briareos suggested later and see how much that speeds things up, if any.
Sooo - did you get round to trying it yet?

07-23-2012 at 11:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Trickster
Briareos wrote:
Trickster wrote:
Sooo - did you get round to trying it yet?
Sorry, but I appreciate the reminder. I'll leave this page up until I get to it.

Official Hold Progress

My Holds

07-24-2012 at 03:28 AM
Trickster
I tried it. It made a difference neither in Editor play, nor in the normal game.

For the record, I have a beast of a system, which should be able to run practically any current game at max graphics. I notice a significant slowdown if I have a platform that covers 100% of the room and at least two weather effects (e.g. snow + darkness).

I would guess the problem has little to do with weather and a lot to do with platform calculations, but that's a shot in the darkness bar which slows me down.

Official Hold Progress

My Holds

07-25-2012 at 02:53 AM
mako
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 3
When I turn on Alpha Blending In some Rooms moves take 10 sec(only in DROD 4).

08-19-2012 at 04:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
skell
Rank Points: 3734
icon Re: DROD sloooows...to...a...cra...w... (+1)  
I am unable to reproduce it on the latest build with Alpha Blending and max Environmental Effects.

It is noticeably slower but nowhere close crawling speed.

10-29-2020 at 10:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : DROD sloooows...to...a...cra...w...
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com