Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Searching on the Hints and Solutions board
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5383
IP: Logged
icon Searching on the Hints and Solutions board (+4)  
At long last, the Hints and Solutions board is highly customized for DROD.net. When doing a "Search/New Topic", you now are prompted to select a hold, level, and room that you need a hint for. If we have topics addressing that room, you will be shown a list of them. Please use the existing threads before creating a new topic - there are some rooms that we have 8 or 9 topics for already!

This was non-trivial, so please let me know if you run into any bugs.

Just for fun, I plan on adding some new statistics for the Hints & Solutions board - holds, levels, and rooms with most topics, most posts, most views, that sort of thing.

When I find the time, I'll add something similar to the Challenges board.

Thanks to Oneiromancer for helping me assign rooms to all of the existing threads - it was quite tedious.

08-17-2004 at 07:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1939
icon Re: Searching on the Hints and Solutions board (+1)  
I just gave'er a test run trying out L25 1S2W, and was completely amazed at the effort that was put in in. The room is completly visible before you search so you can clarify that's the room you want, and the room picture is now linked in the subject of the first post. Good job Schik!!!! Keep it up!!

Meanwhile, I'll go fiddle around with it a bit more.

-Patrick

08-17-2004 at 07:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
icon Re: Searching on the Hints and Solutions board (0)  
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
and the room picture is now linked in the subject of the first post.
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that part. Thanks. :)

08-17-2004 at 07:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
Schik wrote:
At long last, the Hints and Solutions board is highly customized for DROD.net.

It's... so... beautiful. Nice job, buddy!
Thanks to Oneiromancer for helping me assign rooms to all of the existing threads - it was quite tedious.
I was going to ask, how did you get the search to bring up all the right rooms? And then I reread this. Ugh. Big thanks to Onei for drudging through that.

Also feel free to write the "Read this first" post however you like. No need for cautious "Schik edit" prefixes, and it's okay to chop off that lengthening history log of edits at the bottom. Ah, what am I saying--be right back...

...Okay, I edited it, but go ahead and change it again if you need to.

-Erik

08-17-2004 at 08:19 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: Searching on the Hints and Solutions board (+2)  
ErikH2000 wrote:
I was going to ask, how did you get the search to bring up all the right rooms? And then I reread this. Ugh. Big thanks to Onei for drudging through that.

Ah, well, we both went through it, I just helped Schik shave off some time on that part of the project, and brainstorm together on how to present everything. I'll probably have to be helping with moderator-type administration of that anyway (i.e., fix mistakes users make), it's good to know some of the background stuff.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
08-17-2004 at 08:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
Well, I just spun it around, and it didn't mess up my shoes, so things are good. One thing though: If you really want to make a new thread for a given room, you can change your mind on the room or title. Then you can have one room being talked about, while another room is attached to the post. Might it be an idea to not allow editing of the subject line, and allow the description line to be used to further specify the thread?

08-17-2004 at 09:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
If you use the search, then it will find the room you chose, ignoring whatever is in the subject line. If people change the subject, it's at their own risk. I decided to let the users shoot themselves in the foot if they so desire. :)

08-17-2004 at 09:45 PM
Stuwy
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 212
Wow..... That is cool!
08-18-2004 at 04:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
RubellaGolda
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 52
This is a really good feature for the board! Kudos for all involved. :thumbsup

One small remark:

When I tested with level 5, 2S 1E, I found a thread giving no hints because the topic starter solved the room before anyone gave a hint. Immediately after that he asked for a hint on a different room (1N 1E) and a hint is given. When you search for this second room, you do not find this thread, but are asked to start a new topic.

Not a big problem, and it seems to me to be just a start-up problem in classifying the old hint threads, but I thought that I should mention it anyway.

[Edited by RubellaGolda on 08-18-2004 at 11:48 AM GMT]
08-18-2004 at 12:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Astronaut
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 21
I didn't notice this until today, but the changes made are brilliant! :thumbsup

There was a time when I was young and frustrated and searching old hint threads was difficult, not knowing if the topic starter had named his thread L13, Lvl 13 or Level13... Those days are know over!

One minor detail though (didn't know where else to post this):
Phil's Dungeon L8 seems to have some rooms missing, the first of which I cannot for the love of me figure out. They are south of 2W.

08-23-2004 at 04:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
RubellaGolda
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 52
Another remark,

When I select 'Veere's Dungeon' in the search-a-room dialog,
I get a map of a comletely different hold -_- It does seem familiar but I don't know which one it is.

But it's the wrong hold.

08-25-2004 at 06:37 PM
DiMono
RubellaGolda wrote:
Another remark,

I get a map of a comletely different hold -_- It does seem familiar but I don't know which one it is.

But it's the wrong hold.
The dungeon is "Simplicity".

08-25-2004 at 07:49 PM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
DiMono wrote:
RubellaGolda wrote:
Another remark,

But it's the wrong hold.
The dungeon is "Simplicity".

Strange, I checked it and it was level 1 in KDD. Anyway, it's fixed now.
08-25-2004 at 08:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Could this be implemented in Challenges too? I just waded through five pages of challenges to make sure what I was posting up hadn't already been proposed.

08-27-2004 at 06:59 AM
Schik
From the first post:
Schik wrote:

08-27-2004 at 07:00 AM
DiMono
Schik wrote:
From the first post:
Schik wrote:
That'll teach me to make feature requests at 2 in the morning...

Ehrm... thanks.

[Edited by DiMono on 08-27-2004 at 06:39 AM GMT]

08-27-2004 at 07:38 AM
leefa
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 23
I am having problems with this all the sudden! when I click on the hold, nothing happens. when I click on the level, nothing happens.

any ideas? :~(

12-23-2005 at 09:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bandit1200
Rank Points: 290
yeah, I'm having the same problem with it tonight. The map stays on the default JtRH one instead of changing to whichever hold is chosen
12-23-2005 at 10:46 PM
Insane
Rank Points: 154
leefa wrote:
I am having problems with this all the sudden! when I click on the hold, nothing happens. when I click on the level, nothing happens.

any ideas? :~(

That's my fault, http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=8660

-Insane
12-24-2005 at 11:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Searching on the Hints and Solutions board
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com