Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Tabs.
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon Tabs. (0)  
I thought about it a bit and came to the conclusion that most any team developer does eventually: we should use spaces instead of tabs. So the text that is neatly aligned on my little Hitachi also looks good on those massive monitors at the BYU lab and inside a NADS cab in Iowa.

Schik and Mike, does this sound alright? I'm not going through and reformatting everything, but I've set my tabs options to insert 2 spaces for each indent. If it doesn't rankle you, please do the same. Also willing to do 3 or 4 spaces if that seems better.

-Erik

05-07-2003 at 08:20 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
icon Re: Tabs. (0)  
The only problem I would have with this is when I'm coding on DROD at work (Oooh... BAD Schik, BAD). I'd need to at least keep my tabs at 4 spaces as per our coding standards, unless I'm changing my tab settings every time I load up Visual Studio, which I know I'd forget to do 99% of the time, causing all sorts of chaos and havoc, if I may be a little melodramatic.

Alternatively, I could just use Vim (emacs sucks :P) and set up a macro that will change my tabs depending on what I'm editing. But even though I'm no big fan of VC++'s editor, I'd hate to lose some of its nicer features.

Anywho, it's fine with me.

05-07-2003 at 08:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
ErikH2000
icon Re: Re: Tabs. (0)  
Schik wrote:
I'd need to at least keep my tabs at 4 spaces as per our coding standards,
I'm willing to follow a 4-space convention. Mike what do you think? It's also no big deal to have some people using different space counts for indents. The main thing is to stop using tabs which will always cause poor readability on somebody's computer.

-Erik

05-07-2003 at 09:00 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: Re: Re: Tabs. (0)  
ErikH2000 wrote:
I'm willing to follow a 4-space convention. Mike what do you think? It's also no big deal to have some people using different space counts for indents. The main thing is to stop using tabs which will always cause poor readability on somebody's computer.
Heh heh...well, I guess that's okay. This means that, for this to work, we'll have to have "insert spaces for tabs" enabled when we add in code as well. The good (and bad) part about coding for myself is that I don't need any standards. :D But then it opens that other can of worms: Going from 2 spaces per tab to 3 or 4, now we'll have lines all over the place that extend past the 80-char limit. If you don't mind this, then I'm okay with it too.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
05-09-2003 at 05:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
icon Re: Re: Re: Re: Tabs. (0)  
mrimer wrote:
But then it opens that other can of worms: Going from 2 spaces per tab to 3 or 4, now we'll have lines all over the place that extend past the 80-char limit.
Well, we don't have to go back and reformat all the existing text. Let's just say for future edits:
1. spaces not tabs.
2. 4 spaces per indent, but if you really want to use 2 or 3 or 5 or 6--fine.

And if I say anything more, then it will be too much.

-Erik

05-17-2003 at 09:58 PM
shurcooL
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 40
icon Re: Tabs. (0)  
I thought about it a bit and came to the conclusion that most any team developer does eventually: we should use spaces instead of tabs. So the text that is neatly aligned on my little Hitachi also looks good on those massive monitors at the BYU lab and inside a NADS cab in Iowa.

i'm sorry, but i don't really understand why spaces are better than tabs? =\\ i've always used tabs and have no probs w/ them. they're good because they align everything nicely by themselves, and whenever u edit, u don't have to readd/delete spaces every single time.

05-19-2003 at 05:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
icon Re: Re: Tabs. (0)  
shurcooL wrote:
i'm sorry, but i don't really understand why spaces are better than tabs? =\\ i've always used tabs and have no probs w/ them. they're good because they align everything nicely by themselves, and whenever u edit, u don't have to readd/delete spaces every single time.
It's fine when you work by yourself, but the tabs won't line up on another developer's computer because he won't have the same OS/screen resolution/font/window layout/tab indentation settings. The tabs will basically look good on your computer and no place else.

-Erik

05-19-2003 at 06:40 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Tabs.
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com