Announcement: Please read the Rules Topic for some general rules and etiquette before using the Hints and Solutions system.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : L5, 2E.
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Poster Message
Lady1985
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 15
IP: Logged
icon L5, 2E. (0)  
:huh
The room with arrows on both sides. I can get all but the last line of evil eyes that are lined up at the very end. Any suggestions?
05-07-2003 at 02:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zex20913
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1721
icon Re: L5, 2E. (0)  
Click here to view the secret text

05-07-2003 at 02:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
Click here to view the secret text

If you need more specific hints I will try to tabulate my steps.

Game on,

[Edited by Oneiromancer on 05-08-2003 at 09:55 PM GMT: Removed extra image and made hint secret]

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
05-07-2003 at 02:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Lady1985
05-07-2003 at 03:34 AM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Come on, people - the same room image twice in the same thread? Why?

(and yes, I realize you added a marker. But that's precisely what the "add as a link" option is for. And while I'm being anal, hidden text should be used for spoilers...)

[Edited by eytanz on 05-07-2003 at 03:53 AM GMT: clarification]

05-07-2003 at 03:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
icon Inline vs linked images. (0)  
eytanz wrote:
Come on, people - the same room image twice in the same thread? Why?
Well, we just got this nifty toy and haven't had time to agree on what sort of protocols we want to follow.

I'm guessing some people don't like to download these things. Even with my cable modem connection it takes 5 or 6 seconds for them to appear. Other people have a worse time, I'm sure.

Maybe we should have the image inserter only insert links? Or at least make that the default option.

Or maybe that's too limiting and we should just throw a little announcement at the top of the "hints and solutions" board asking people to only show the DROD room image once per thread.

What do you guys think?

-Erik

05-07-2003 at 05:27 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
It's tempting to have a profile option that would turn ALL inline images to linked images.

Otherwise, I agree, one inline image per thread, the rest should be linked.

05-07-2003 at 05:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Scott
Rank Points: 578
Why does a 10K image take so long to download? Are they being created on the fly and that program is slow? It just seems odd to me that I can download bigger images faster on other boards.
05-08-2003 at 01:17 AM
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
icon Re: Re: L5, 2E. (0)  
Scott wrote:
Why does a 10K image take so long to download? Are they being created on the fly and that program is slow?
Yes, it is generatated on the fly. I just put in some timing code and it seems that it's taking around 1.3 seconds to generate the picture. I'm going to do some testing and see if I can speed it up.

I have one pretty good idea that would speed it up a lot, but would take a fair amount of work. I might try it if nothing else works - if for no other reason than I'd learn a lot doing it.

05-08-2003 at 04:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Sorry to cause problems...I removed the offending image. (I would have done it sooner but I came down with a nasty case of stomach flu.) I forgot that I could have the image viewed as a link, so I will try to do better in the future. In terms of what clues are considered spoilers, well...I feel that when someone asks about a specific part of a room, then they are not in danger of being spoiled by any answer. But if someone just says, "I can't solve this room, pls help!!!1" then yes, make the solution hidden. I've seen lots of things on this board that I thought should have been hidden, and lots of things that were hidden that I thought should not have been. It's all a matter of opinion, methinks, unless some rules are laid down.

If anyone is offended, well, my tact-meter is still off from being sick, so I apologize.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
05-08-2003 at 08:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Lady1985
Personally I appreciated the 2nd image since I don't know the room numbers. It helped me out quite abit.
Thanks a million for the help you gave me. :D
05-08-2003 at 08:33 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
The point in making every hint a secret is that people read the thread other than the original poster - for instance, people who haven't seen the level yet may be curious as to what people's problems may be, but they don't actually want to see the solutions. Or maybe someone who has a problem with a different part of the room enters the thread to see if it's relevant.

It's not that these are very major concerns - it's just that it's very easy to prevent accidental spoilage, so there's no reason why not to (that I can see).

As for the room images - I'm not contesting that the second image wasn't useful. But it would be equally useful as a link, while that way it wouldn't crowd up the thread and slow it for those of us on a dial-up.

05-08-2003 at 09:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
icon Re: Re: L5, 2E. (0)  
eytanz wrote:
The point in making every hint a secret is that people read the thread other than the original poster - for instance, people who haven't seen the level yet may be curious as to what people's problems may be, but they don't actually want to see the solutions. Or maybe someone who has a problem with a different part of the room enters the thread to see if it's relevant.

I agree with you...in principle. If a hint refers to something absurdly general, like, "Remember what the scroll says", then I think it is silly to make it hidden. Or even just something like "Did you notice that mimic potion?" But if it is something more subtle or specific, like "Put the mimic exactly here" or "You must have your sword pointing this direction", then yes, I agree that can spoil people, and if I haven't done that enough in the past I will try to do better.

Game on,

05-08-2003 at 10:04 PM
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : L5, 2E.
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com