Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : CaravelNet chat -- beeping noises on unsupported text
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Tahnan
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2459
IP: Logged
icon CaravelNet chat -- beeping noises on unsupported text (+1)  
I assume it has something to do with the 42,344 lines of Assertion error in line 467 of .\Chat.cpp: "newChars > 0" that currently appear in my drod.err file. I believe Seth pasted some sort of odd Unicode characters into chat.

EDIT to clarify: "42,344" is not an arbitrary exaggerated number. That's literal. Also, it seems to have broken my usual system error sound.

[Last edited by mrimer at 04-25-2012 07:10 PM]
04-16-2012 at 05:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3407
icon Re: Why is my computer making twitchy little beeping noises? (+1)  
Seth in chat, multiple times wrote: (>_<) (>_<)> (';') (^^ž(^_^;)(-_-;)(~_~;)(û(>_<) (>_<)> (';') (^^ž(^_^;)(-_-;)(~_~;)(û(>_<) (>_<)> (';') (^^ž(^_^;)(-_-;)(~_~;)(û(>_<) (>_<)> (';') (^^ž(^_^;)(-_-;)(~_~;)(û(>_<) (>_<)> (';') (^^ž(^_^;)(-_-;)(~_~;)(û(>_<) (>_<)> (';') (^^ž(^_^;)(-_-;)(~_~;)(û(>_<) (>_<)> (';') (^^ž(^_^;)(-_-;)(~_~;)(û(>_<) (>_<)> (';') (^^ž(^_^;)(-_-;)(~_~;)(û(>_<) (>_<)> (';') (^^ž(^_^;)(-_-;)(~_~;)(û(>_<) (>_<)> (';') (^^ž(^_^;)(-_-;)(~_~;)(û(>_<) (>_<)> (';') (^^ž(^_^;)(-_-;)(~_~;)(û(>_<) (>_<)> (';') (^^ž(^_^;)(-_-;)(~_~;)(û(>_<) (>_<)> (';') (^^ž(^_^;)(-_-;)(~_~;)(û(>_<) (>_<)> (';') (^^ž(^_^;)(-_-;)(~_~;)(û(>_<) (>_<)> (';') (^^ž(^_^;)(-_-;)(~_~;)(û(>_<) (>_<)> (';') (^^ž(^_^;)(-_-;)(~_~;)(û(>_<) (>_<)> (';') (^^ž(^_^;)(-_-;)(~_~;)(û
And yeah, my computer's still beeping minutes after force-quitting DROD. Time for a reboot, and maybe a grounding.

[Last edited by Dischorran at 04-16-2012 05:04 AM]
04-16-2012 at 05:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
This managed to hang my instance of DROD 4.0 three times in a row. Not good, especially since it seems to be triggerable from chat. One player can take down everybody on CaravelNet at the moment.

04-16-2012 at 05:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
To give more data: I logged back into DROD, which was fine. I was able to "/ignore Seth" without a problem. Then I made the mistake of hitting ctrl-enter to see the chat history.

By the time I forced the program to close, I had 13,008 new Assertion Errors of the sort given above.
04-16-2012 at 05:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
icon Re: Why is my computer making twitchy little beeping noises? (0)  
[Post Deleted] Trickster wrote:
Tahnan wrote:
To give more data: I logged back into DROD, which was fine. I was able to "/ignore Seth" without a problem. Then I made the mistake of hitting ctrl-enter to see the chat history.

By the time I forced the program to close, I had 13,008 new Assertion Errors of the sort given above.
I mentioned that Ctrl-Enter brought about Death in my submission of this bug, by the way.
Yes, but (a) I freely admit I didn't bother to read your post reporting the same bug, and (b) this happened even after the "ignore Seth" command.
04-16-2012 at 05:28 AM
12th Archivist
Rank Points: 789
Seth typed in some unusual characters that caused DROD to do funky things. However, the real problem was that Seth also copy-pasted *huge* amounts of text into chat and sent them, not at once, but several dozen times per second. This is one of the chats he sent:
(secreted for length because holy crap)
Click here to view the secret text

This. Dozens of times per second. For about five seconds.

Seth's malicious behavior aside (which is something that really, *really* needs to be dealt with, but I am not that person), this is clearly a bad thing. There is a character limit for normally-typed chats, but it looks like copy-paste breaks this rule. If this is the case, the first order of business should be to put a better cap on character limits.

PREPOST EDIT: There is a cap to copy-paste, but not in forum chat.

POST, ER, POST EDIT: I just noticed the already-existing thread for this bug. I shall delete this post and move it over there. Done.

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
04-16-2012 at 05:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
04-16-2012 at 09:52 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
icon Re: Why is my computer making twitchy little beeping noises? (+2)  
Caravel's breaking up with you, Trickster.

It's not you, it's them. Honest.

04-16-2012 at 11:09 PM
asmussen
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 188
icon Re: Why is my computer making twitchy little beeping noises? (+2)  
Jatopian wrote:
pong
This confirms it. I'm getting no email from Caravel whatsoever.

The last message I received from Caravel was three days ago.

(Help?) :-O

In this thread, it is mentioned that they are currently experiencing technical difficulties with their outgoing mail server, so I expect what you're seeing is probably related to that.

http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=33706

04-18-2012 at 05:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5058
icon Re: DROD chat is completely insane. (0)  
Thanks for reporting this, Trickster. Can you post your drod.err file here?

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
04-18-2012 at 10:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
west.logan
Rank Points: 608
This is a test message, because I seem to no longer be receiving updates to threads on Caravel Forum (neither the boards I watch, nor the individual threads to which I am subscribed), and emails are not going to Spam folder.

So, ping, y'all.

This has happened before. And er... it appears to be back. I came back to my computer to find about 400 emails waiting for me. :sick

04-19-2012 at 03:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Tahnan wrote:
I assume it has something to do with the 42,344 lines of Assertion error in line 467 of .\Chat.cpp: "newChars > 0" that currently appear in my drod.err file. I believe Seth pasted some sort of odd Unicode characters into chat.
Fixed for 4.0.2 so any weird, unsupported texts with this assertion failure won't cause beeps, and will simply be ignored by the chat interface. Also fixed for the next builds of TCB and RPG.

04-25-2012 at 07:06 PM
mrimer
icon Re: DROD chat is completely insane. (0)  
Merging this topic with Tahnan's about the same chat bug.

04-25-2012 at 07:09 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : CaravelNet chat -- beeping noises on unsupported text
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com