Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : French translation of DROD
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5058
IP: Logged
icon Re: French translation of DROD (0)  
My replies in red above.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
06-02-2012 at 06:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Damien
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 42
My final inquiries in black below.Where can you see those?

[MID_UpdatedHoldExists]
[eng]
Updated!

[shows next to a hold's name in the hold list when connected to CaravelNet, and an updated version of a (beta) hold exists]

[MID_HoldNotIdenticalIgnored]
[eng]
This hold does not match any installed hold and was ignored.

[displayed when a language mod is being imported and the declared hold version does not match the locally installed version]

[MID_OldDemoBroken]
[eng]
Demo broken:

[MID_OldSavedGameBroken]
[eng]
Saved game broken:

[I think these are logged to drod.log when importing saved games/demos, and they are not compatible with the current version of the hold]

[Last edited by mrimer at 06-02-2012 10:13 PM]
06-02-2012 at 05:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
icon Re: French translation of DROD (+1)  
Added locations above.

06-02-2012 at 10:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Damien
Perfect! Thanks a lot.
Now, I completely forgot, how do I test it?

06-03-2012 at 03:43 PM
mrimer
Damien wrote:
Perfect! Thanks a lot.
Now, I completely forgot, how do I test it?
Ah, I'll need you to send me (or another developer here) your copies of your augmented .uni files, so we can rebuild the drod*.dat file that comes with the game to include these texts. I can do this for a demo version, and then upload it here so you can try it out.

06-04-2012 at 05:50 AM
Fang
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 175
I should have checked the forums before I sent Mr. Rimer an e-mail. I myself have been studying in translation in Montreal and I sent him one about translating it in French just... three or four days ago. Well, I hope it's going great nonetheless.

Edit: Actually, it was almost a week ago.

[Last edited by Fang at 06-08-2012 01:09 AM]
06-08-2012 at 01:09 AM
Hyeron
Rank Points: 66
icon Re: French translation of DROD (+2)  
Heh. Now that's three. But there's still 5 games, 12/13 SmS (depending on Master Locks' situation) and an ocean of holds. Not taking FDROD into account as it's pretty much done at this point.

I, for one, don't see it as a problem. On the contrary. Damien has professional experience, I have empirical experience, you have (at the very least) theoretical experience... It's a GREAT situation for DROD - and, truth be told, the first time I see such a thing in 6+ years of translating indie games and mods.

Good things come to good people, I guess.

Anyway... There's nothing stopping us from splitting up that mountain of work, and everyone can check the others' work. Three heads are better than one. It will probably take a few compromises, as it seems Damien would have liked to work on his own and I'm used to flying solo. But OTOH The three of us are here for the love of the game. Or so I hope. So this could be fun, IMHO.

(as a side note, translating non-canon/official holds would probably require their respective authors' permission. But that's another story for now. So that's still 18 holds to translate and "only" three people on it. 6 holds per translator. :lol )

Anyway, it's still Mike's call in the end. :)

[Last edited by Hyeron at 06-08-2012 06:44 PM]
06-08-2012 at 06:32 PM
Fang
I'd like to get on any hold there would be the need for translation, though I personally only own TCB, the RPG and GatEB right now (as well as the demos of JtRH and KDD, though I did own AE once.)

I do have theoretical experience, although I've never actually done any translating yet. The most I did was on one of my older jobs when there was someone who could only speak English and they tried to communicate with the production line's boss, but that was maybe... two minutes of actually applying the knowledge I'm studying? Yes, that's not much.

I have an actual summer job coming up really soon too, but I could spare some time every 2-3 days to translate some of it. Maybe a good six-eight hours every 3 days, or about, maybe more if I get more free time during that. I finish that on August 20th and then back to studies. I'm not sure how much time I could dedicate to it from the point my university begins anew as I'd still need to find something to pay my rent, I'm running low on funds. But I'll see what I can do. I've been absent for a while and I'm getting back into DROD now.

EDIT: There's also the site to translate, I believe. Things like the Master Map of the Eighth, etc. Well, that might just be the fansite, but still.

[Last edited by Fang at 06-08-2012 11:48 PM]
06-08-2012 at 11:45 PM
Damien
I call dibs on GatEB!

06-09-2012 at 04:10 AM
Hyeron
Damien wrote:
I call dibs on GatEB!

So do I, for personal use.

There is localization to be made, then further modification so it's kid-friendly.

The public translation is another matter entirely, feel free to call whatever you want on it. :lol

Fang wrote:
I'd like to get on any hold there would be the need for translation, though I personally only own TCB, the RPG and GatEB right now (as well as the demos of JtRH and KDD, though I did own AE once.)
And I don't really care all that much, as long as there's fun to be had. So if it's to work that way, just call dibs on RPG or TCB, I'll see what remains.

I do have theoretical experience, although I've never actually done any translating yet. The most I did was on one of my older jobs when there was someone who could only speak English and they tried to communicate with the production line's boss, but that was maybe... two minutes of actually applying the knowledge I'm studying? Yes, that's not much.
Trust me: that can STILL be better than some of the things I've seen. You wouldn't believe it. I've seen people PAID by small indie devs, and those "translators" couldn't place two words on the same line without a typo or some other bulldung. Then I had to clean up, and I just had to insist on not being paid so the dev wasn't completely ripped off. Can you really do worse than that? :kiss

I have an actual summer job coming up really soon too, but I could spare some time every 2-3 days to translate some of it. Maybe a good six-eight hours every 3 days, or about, maybe more if I get more free time during that. I finish that on August 20th and then back to studies. I'm not sure how much time I could dedicate to it from the point my university begins anew as I'd still need to find something to pay my rent, I'm running low on funds. But I'll see what I can do. I've been absent for a while and I'm getting back into DROD now.
We all have our schedules. That will probably part of the compromises: AFAIAC I don't want work to get stumped because I'm on vacation for three weeks. Neither do I want to suffer the same kind of burnout the translation of The Dark Mod induced a second time. OTOH it seems there's no C++ source hacking involved, and the art assets are much simpler to modify (at first glance, at least). ;p

EDIT: There's also the site to translate, I believe. Things like the Master Map of the Eighth, etc. Well, that might just be the fansite, but still.
Damn. I'd totally dig that. With the stories and stuff. Do want. O_O
Seriously though, it could be an interesting addition. If an insane amount of work. But then again most people say I'm out of my mind, so...

EDIT - Oooooh, there's one last thing. And THAT will be hell. Sihmpuhl Englihsh. Noooooooooooooooes. :lol

(and maybe the menus. Difficulty to be assessed. Probably quite simple, if boring. FDROD will probably help.)

[Last edited by Hyeron at 06-09-2012 09:42 AM]
06-09-2012 at 09:23 AM
Jatopian
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1842
Fang wrote: There's also the site to translate, I believe. Things like the Master Map of the Eighth, etc. Well, that might just be the fansite, but still.
One major frustration of making something multilingual is the inability to make later changes to text because it has already gone to translators. So I wouldn't want to see anything translated except for stuff that will remain static forever or at least for years. The site doesn't even get updated enough in English as is.
Hyeron wrote:
Damien wrote:
I call dibs on GatEB!

So do I, for personal use.

There is localization to be made, then further modification so it's kid-friendly.

The public translation is another matter entirely, feel free to call whatever you want on it.
:huh

06-09-2012 at 12:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Hyeron
Confused? :lol

I'm used to translating twice when the need arises or it's better for them. For example, the bullshitesque ending of Minecraft. There is NO way I'll let that kind of crap go near my kids. If I want to make them think about something, it may as well make some sense. So I heavily adapted it, while leaving the crap in for the "basic" translation.

Just like I'll usually expand/modify the tutorials a little/heavy bit one way or another if the normal one isn't friendly enough, so it needs as little clarification as possible, while remaining true to the original.

Why? Say you're going to explain roach pathfinding and VP.

For an adult, the tutorials - on these forums, for example - are very, very accurate, you know exactly what you're getting yourself into, and how to take advantage of VP.

But is it good enough for kids? The basic explanation, in a kid-friendly version, would probably be something like "the roaches try to take the shortest path to reach you. First diagonally, and if that isn't possible or needed, on a vertical line. They will only move on a horizontal line if none of those are possible or useful."

That's very, very rough, doesn't take the brain into account, and needs more thought. Some dialogues may require editing too, especially if it's convoluted. I mean, your kid will read Harry Potter, no problem. But can you picture him reading Zola or Tolstoļ? ;)

The list goes on and on.

Then there's the second factor: one of them devours books like I've never seen before, while the other is slower, so I'll have to keep it quite short so the captions don't disappear before she's done reading. It happens all too often in official translations, and nobody thinks of the children. Hence the clock, for example, and my request for a way to translate it, for them first - Damien is intent on doing it for the public, so I won't have to make a second version.

But should he "butcher" the public translation for this purpose? And should I, for that matter? Not in the least.

So I'm used to translating twice when the need arises.

Makes more sense now? :)

PS - note that yes, the roach is the worst example. Take the brained roach, or the unbrained serpent. Now go explain that as accurately as possible to a kid.

[Last edited by Hyeron at 06-09-2012 01:52 PM]
06-09-2012 at 01:47 PM
Fang
Very well then, I can get on to RPG whenever we can begin, which for my part is probably going to be in two days at the very least, maybe five.

06-09-2012 at 01:52 PM
Hyeron
Then I'll begin with whatever the good people of Caravel think would be best, or KDD if there's no real preference on this.

06-09-2012 at 02:01 PM
Jatopian
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1842
You may wish to hold off on KDD for now, considering that FDROD is gonna have a lot of the text from KDD translated.

06-09-2012 at 04:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Hyeron
Aaaah, true. Thanks for the reminder. Need more coffee. So that leaves JtRH and TCB. And the SmS. :lol

06-09-2012 at 04:44 PM
Fang
I haven't been on here for a long time, but has anything been announced regarding the progress of the games' translations yet?

06-19-2013 at 08:57 PM
Damien
Well the engine has been translated. That's the menus, editor, and all that, but the actual holds haven't. And personally I don't have the time to do it any more, not for free at least.

[Last edited by Damien at 06-19-2013 09:21 PM]
06-19-2013 at 09:21 PM
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : French translation of DROD
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No