Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Any DUNE fans here ? (Cool, licensed DUNE game now free)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
b0rsuk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 489
IP: Logged
icon Any DUNE fans here ? (0)  
Hi.

If you didn't read Frank Herbert's "Dune", then you are welcome to do so or ignore this thread. The game is based heavily upon the book.

However if you know what's Dune about, then you should try plaing the board Dune. The computer remake is called Dune Emulator, and is available for download:

http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?gameid=4802

NOTE: There's also Manual on that page, complete with additional rules, high DPI scanned game board, tokens and more.
=========================================================

Dune Emulator is multiplayer-only game, preferably for 6 players. Can be played via tcp/ip, lan, hotseat, and PBEM even. I simply don't have enough DUNE liking friends to play it, and don't quite like the idea of playing one game for 3 years via @mail. I wish you more luck.

The the game is great. I'm not going to rewrite the review from Underdogs (which does good job), but basically:

... it manages to use all the great and unique ideas in the book as gameplay mechanics, while balancing the difficulty level and keeping the goals realistic. It even manages to tie the book's plot into gameplay and objectives - a remarkable achievement you won't find in other licensed boardgames.

It's a strategy game. Six sides to choose from, more if you use additional rules from manual (Dune Emulator can't handle them)

[Edited by b0rsuk on 08-09-2004 at 07:58 PM GMT]

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml
08-09-2004 at 08:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Frodo
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 25
icon Re: Any DUNE fans here ? (0)  
Looks fun... Will have to check if it works under wine (since I do not use any MS operating systems on my pc).

With a bit of luck, I will be able to check that, sometime this week or next.

Frodo
08-09-2004 at 09:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
b0rsuk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 489
icon Re: Any DUNE fans here ? (0)  
If it doesn't, just download the manual and have fun printing the board and all the tokens :-)

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml
08-09-2004 at 09:12 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Any DUNE fans here ? (Cool, licensed DUNE game now free)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com