Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Hints and Solutions Separated (Suggestion for forum)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
techant
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 854
IP: Logged
icon Hints and Solutions Separated (+1)  
I have noticed when I am searching for a room in a hold that I have to dig through hints for the "Original" DROD and that finding hints for holds is really difficult. They are spread all over. And with the inconsistent use of "level" or "L" it gets really hard to track down that hint for, "that room that is
already driving me crazy or I wouldn't be here. :crazy

My suggestion is to add a separate category for
Hints and Solutions Holds Only
and keep the current
Hints and Solutions for the Original DROD only.

The first entry could tell folks what Holds are, where to get them and how to install them. Then there could be some suggestion as to how to describe a hold and level so searching can go easier.

Hints and Solutions is getting big and will only get bigger and hints for holds will get lost in the volume of entries. I did read a hint that suggested have a listing by level and room to aid in finding help. That sounded good but this may be a interim solution, till something like that can be done.

[Edited by techant on 07-30-2004 at 01:27 AM GMT]

07-29-2004 at 08:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
icon Re: Hints and Solutions Separated (0)  
Hmmm...

I'll talk to Matt and see how far away his proposed changes are. But we may have to do something like this, or have Hints and Solutions sort differently or something.

Matt

07-31-2004 at 03:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Treguard
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 14
I guess the problem is that there is not always consistency between the names of the posts, which makes searching difficult.

Perhaps it would be possible to make users select a hold, level and room when making a post and then generate the title from their selections, which would ensure all titles were in the same format. This would make searching easier (the search interface could also be updated for the user to select a hold, level and room too).

However this is a lot more work for somebody than the original suggestion :)
07-31-2004 at 04:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5383
Treguard wrote:
Perhaps it would be possible to make users select a hold, level and room when making a post and then generate the title from their selections, which would ensure all titles were in the same format. This would make searching easier (the search interface could also be updated for the user to select a hold, level and room too).

However this is a lot more work for somebody than the original suggestion :)
That's exactly the plan I have! Time is the limiting factor, however.

07-31-2004 at 06:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
techant
Rank Points: 854
icon Re: Hints and Solutions Separated (+1)  
I would be happy with either way because they both solve the original problem. I just was hoping to cut down any extra work, but the menu idea could really help more folks. I am thinking a year from now how easy will it be to find entries from 2003. It would mean alot of repeating which just takes more diskspace.

Would the pull down menus used in the 'Insert DROD room' work?

Thanks for your thoughts on solving this problem. :D

08-04-2004 at 08:11 AM
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5383
techant wrote:
Would the pull down menus used in the 'Insert DROD room' work?
Yep, that's the plan.

08-04-2004 at 01:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Hints and Solutions Separated (Suggestion for forum)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com