Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : New Hold (The Line)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
urban
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 29
IP: Logged

File: The Line.hold (12.8 KB)
Downloaded 139 times.
License: Other
icon New Hold (0)  
Here is my new small hold, with 14 rooms (or more?).
Some of the rooms may be a little bit difficult :?
I have demos for all of them.
All feedback is welcome. Feel free to change the hold and send your own modified version.

Have fun.

Urban
07-28-2004 at 02:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1838
icon Re: New Hold (0)  
Unfortunately, the hold is not Anyone-Edit, so I can't see the rooms past where I got to.

However, here are my comments about it so far:

Click here to view the secret text

Altogether so far, it's a nice and fairly difficult set of rooms requiring some interesting techniques to complete.

Could you release an Anyone Edit version so I can play past 5W?

07-28-2004 at 02:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
urban

File: The Line lines 1W Victory.zip (15.1 KB)
Downloaded 87 times.
Thanks for the reply.

I'm not sure if I understood what you meant about rooms 2W and 5W.
Please, check the attach file with the demos for most of the rooms. After room (11W) You can change the hold. But

Have fun

:w00t

07-28-2004 at 04:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sim
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 90
It's an intersting hold, even if it is quite hard.

Opinions:

Entrance

1W

2W

3W

4W

5W

I got stuck on 6W however:

Anyway, great hold so far, shame I can't seem to pass 6W though. Has anyone else had the same problem on 6W or is it just my version?
07-28-2004 at 06:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
urban

File: The Line V2.hold (12.8 KB)
Downloaded 101 times.
Thanks for the reply.

Thatīs strange...
I donīt know whatīs the version of my DROD
The file below, is editable.

Have fun

:w00t
07-28-2004 at 06:59 PM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
urban wrote:
Thanks for the reply.

I'm not sure if I understood what you meant about rooms 2W and 5W.

For 2W:

As shown in your demo, which is what I did, mostly, after getting 2 queens in the centre, the next 3 in the top-left part of the central chamber all have to go into the centre when you scare them. However, this can only be done if the queens are lined up so that the one placed first in the editor is at the bottom and the last one is at the top.

To demonstrate this, go to the editor and create a new room. Place a roach queen in the centre. Place another one directly below it (don't click and drag - just press once), and then place one more below it. Now playtest and stand directly above the queens. You should see that they move down with a gap of 1 square between them.

Now delete the queens, and place another in the centre. This time, place another above it, and then one more above it. Playtest now, standing above the monsters , and this time, they should all move south in a compact group, without any gaps between them.

This subtle difference in which queens were placed first will affect how they move in groups, which is what happened in 2W.

For 5W:

Once you step on a force arrow, and step off it, brained monsters will assume the force arrow is a normal square, and they will use this as a path to get to you. However, if you go to the thread I mentioned (click the visible words "a bug"), this behaviour is incorrect and will be fixed for DROD 1.7. This means that in the future, when new players using 1.7 play your hold, 5W will be unsolvable.

[Edited by agaricus5 on 07-28-2004 at 08:02 PM GMT]

07-28-2004 at 09:02 PM
Sim
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 90
I've opened the second hold in the editor now, and I see what you mean. Have you changed anything else in the hold too? I seem to notice a few changes. 6W is solvable in my version too now, but it would still be interesting to see if anyone else has the same problem. If it's just my version then there's nothing to stop you keeping the original room.

I'm up to the 8W I think, the one with all those monsters in :~(
07-28-2004 at 09:13 PM
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
I think 1s11w is missing a green door.

08-07-2004 at 11:19 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : New Hold (The Line)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com