Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : New Hints & Solutions Search
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
IP: Logged
icon New Hints & Solutions Search (+2)  
There's a new (beta) search for the H&S boards. Try it out, leave some feedback. (It's the link at the top, between the banner and the old search.)

I started this quite a while ago, and then recently skell helped finish it up.

[Last edited by Schik at 12-05-2011 10:06 PM]
12-05-2011 at 10:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
asmussen
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 188
icon Re: New Hints & Solutions Search (+1)  
To be perfectly honest, I think I prefer the old interface.

12-05-2011 at 10:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Panther
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 402
I guess the voting is tied thus far, then. I'm loving the new look and behavior. In addition to it looking slicker, I find the instant feedback on existing threads for a room to be a significant improvement.

Kudos and thanks to Schik and skell for the shiny new H&S!
12-05-2011 at 10:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Karipto
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 79
Posted this in the Bugs forum, but here it is again, just in case. Some of the rooms weren't showing the one my mouse was hovering over, but instead one room over (or not at all, if there was no room to the side).

So far, this has happened when viewing Dan's Dungeon Levels 12, 13, 15 (where it shows the room to the right of the one selected), and Level 18 (where it shows the room right below the one selected).

EDIT: Seems to be a browser issue (I use Internet Explorer, but it seemed to work fine in Google Chrome).

[Last edited by Karipto at 12-05-2011 11:21 PM]
12-05-2011 at 11:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1842
This is pretty cool, and I'm very glad that people can now search for any room even if CaravelNet is acting up (it looks like all levels are displayed even if one is logged out). The only thing I can see is that if the user has Javascript disabled it won't work, so a note to that effect wouldn't be amiss.

12-06-2011 at 12:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1300
Most excellent. I like it quite a bit.
12-06-2011 at 12:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
icon Re: New Hints & Solutions Search (0)  
Jatopian wrote:
The only thing I can see is that if the user has Javascript disabled it won't work, so a note to that effect wouldn't be amiss.
That was the case with the old one too. Not saying I *disagree* but I don't think it's a huge deal. If anything, yeah, just a note saying that it won't work.

12-06-2011 at 01:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
I love the new interface! Two thumbs way up!

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
12-06-2011 at 04:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Karipto wrote:
EDIT: Seems to be a browser issue (I use Internet Explorer, but it seemed to work fine in Google Chrome).
Hrm. The only IE I have is IE9, and it seems to work fine there. What version are you using?

12-06-2011 at 06:26 AM
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
I have Chrome and this new H&S thing works perfectly. Kinda neat how it scrolls the rooms to where your mouse is. Love it.

It does have a noticeable delay when you switch between the levels though, so I have a question - if loading one level takes T time, would loading the whole 40-level hold all at once and then having no delays when switching levels take 40*T time, or would it be less?

[Last edited by Maurog at 12-06-2011 08:35 AM]
12-06-2011 at 08:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
skell
Rank Points: 3734
Maurog wrote:
I have Chrome and this new H&S thing works perfectly. Kinda neat how it scrolls the rooms to where your mouse is. Love it.

It does have a noticeable delay when you switch between the levels though, so I have a question - if loading one level takes T time, would loading the whole 40-level hold all at once and then having no delays when switching levels take 40*T time, or would it be less?

I am sure it would take less time as there would be no overhead caused by opening and closing connections. The problem is it would be a big waste of transfer and server time.

Regarding the problem, could it be that the spider was still processing/approving demos while it occurred?

[Last edited by skell at 12-06-2011 09:08 AM]
12-06-2011 at 09:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
It depends on which delay you're talking about. Getting the list of rooms would be less than 40*T, sure, but the bigger issue is the big scrolly map. Getting all of those would be 40*T, and that's certainly one thing I wouldn't want to pre-fetch.

We could play around with fetching more room data... I don't know. When the hold is changed, we could fetch rooms for the default level, and then when that quick fetch is done fetch the room data for the rest of the levels. It might depend partly on how much skell wants to help ;)

Regarding the problem, could it be that the spider was still processing/approving demos while it occurred?
I don't think so. The maps and list of rooms should both be using the exact same data for which rooms are visible to the user...

[Last edited by Schik at 12-06-2011 02:54 PM]
12-06-2011 at 02:46 PM
Karipto
Rank Points: 79
Schik wrote:
Karipto wrote:
Hrm. The only IE I have is IE9, and it seems to work fine there. What version are you using?
I'm using Internet Explorer 8.
12-06-2011 at 02:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Okay, I tried this on WinXP/IE8, both logged out and logged in, and I can't reproduce it. Can anyone else?

12-06-2011 at 04:04 PM
Rinaldo
Rank Points: 50
icon Re: New Hints & Solutions Search (+2)  
I prefer the new one, in large part because the old one seems to have a bug (for me, at least) when there are no hints yet for a particular room; the page that tells me so says "BoardID not specified." and gives me no way to create a post myself.

One inconvenient thing about the new search, though I think I worked around it OK, is that it doesn't automatically create the appropriate subject line; I had to type it myself.
12-08-2011 at 03:36 AM
Schik
icon Re: New Hints & Solutions Search (+2)  
Rinaldo wrote:
One inconvenient thing about the new search, though I think I worked around it OK, is that it doesn't automatically create the appropriate subject line; I had to type it myself.
Yikes... fixed. I forgot to copy a file.

12-08-2011 at 03:51 AM
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
Looks great on IE8

12-08-2011 at 09:55 AM
Schik
Karipto wrote:
Posted this in the Bugs forum, but here it is again, just in case. Some of the rooms weren't showing the one my mouse was hovering over, but instead one room over (or not at all, if there was no room to the side).
We talked about this in chat earlier, but for the record, there was a bug with secret rooms, and it's been fixed.

12-09-2011 at 02:32 AM
The Architest
Rank Points: 254
Got the Firefox 8.0.1, and it looks and works perfect! Great job on this one, I really like it!
I'll report if I'll find something, too. ;)

[Last edited by The Architest at 12-10-2011 12:09 PM]
12-10-2011 at 12:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Lamkin
Rank Points: 606
It looks good on Safari 5.1.2. Really liking it better for the most part.
Pros:
• The instant feedback on existing threads for a room.
• Scrolls the rooms to where your mouse is.
• That there's now a border around the room you have selected.

Cons:
Pictures of the rooms are just too darn small; I'd much prefer to have them the size of the rooms on the other H&S, but I s'pose that'd slow things down too much.

Suggestions:
With regards to the buttons for navigating, it'd be nice to have the picture of the room change as you navigate (basically like it does when you click the mouse on the map).

[Last edited by Lamkin at 12-11-2011 12:05 PM]
12-11-2011 at 11:55 AM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Lamkin wrote:
Cons:
Pictures of the rooms are just too darn small; I'd much prefer to have them the size of the rooms on the other H&S, but I s'pose that'd slow things down too much.
I don't feel this is actually a huge deal. I think generally the only reason for the room image is to make sure that you're asking about the right room. To jog the memory and so forth.
Suggestions:
With regards to the buttons for navigating, it'd be nice to have the picture of the room change as you navigate (basically like it does when you click the mouse on the map).
Or for better speed we could just have a little square around the selected room, like on the in-game mini map.

12-12-2011 at 02:16 AM
robin
Rank Points: 842
I like it very much,
it's realy super and much better!

Good work! :thumbsup :thumbsup

12-12-2011 at 08:28 PM
Watcher
Rank Points: 902
The new interface looks quite nice, and getting immediate feedback on existing topics for a room is definitely an improvement, as is the new option for selecting secret rooms. Good work, Schik.

One thing that's a bit annoying is that you have to wait for the hold list to load through Javascript. Since that list only changes when a new hold is uploaded, it feels like it should just be included with the HTML skeleton for the interface.

Also, here's a thought: currently, the selector always defaults to the first room of The City Beneath. When a CaravelNet user loads the hint interface, why not default to the last hold and level for which the user uploaded a score? That should never be worse than the current default, and often better.

01-07-2012 at 02:44 PM
Schik
Watcher wrote:
One thing that's a bit annoying is that you have to wait for the hold list to load through Javascript. Since that list only changes when a new hold is uploaded, it feels like it should just be included with the HTML skeleton for the interface.
Some informal testing (on Firefox only) tells me that the new one is faster on the initial page load, though it will definitely be slightly slower when switching holds. I probably won't change this - I like the fact that all the data is dynamically loaded and that the page is just static HTML.
Also, here's a thought: currently, the selector always defaults to the first room of The City Beneath. When a CaravelNet user loads the hint interface, why not default to the last hold and level for which the user uploaded a score? That should never be worse than the current default, and often better.
Yeah, that's a great idea. I've wanted to do this in fact, I just haven't gotten around to it. With this new H&S, we could also pretty easily make a "Get Hints" button in the game that would give put you on the H&S search on the room you're currently in.

01-07-2012 at 04:37 PM
skell
Rank Points: 3734
Indeed, remembering last selection is just a very simple change involving cookies.

01-08-2012 at 06:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Moo
Rank Points: 224
Some (submitted before a certain point?) holds (including KDD v1) have apostrophes in the name escaped badly in the hold list.

It seems that the "beta" search is now the default, but is the old search still available somewhere?

On the general search page it says "the best way is to use the Hints and Solutions board" but the link takes you to the hints search page rather than the forum... It should probably say "Hints and Solutions Search" or something.

Finally, a little suggestion... How about "all topics for this level" and "all topics for this hold" options?
06-02-2012 at 02:21 PM
The spitemaster
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 354
Moo wrote:

Finally, a little suggestion... How about "all topics for this level" and "all topics for this hold" options?

I second this option.

I wish that man would stay away
06-03-2012 at 12:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Moo
Rank Points: 224
Moo wrote:
Some (submitted before a certain point?) holds (including KDD v1) have apostrophes in the name escaped badly in the hold list.

It seems that the "beta" search is now the default, but is the old search still available somewhere?

On the general search page it says "the best way is to use the Hints and Solutions board" but the link takes you to the hints search page rather than the forum... It should probably say "Hints and Solutions Search" or something.

I quote my whole post, as none of it has been addressed yet...
05-13-2014 at 11:37 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : New Hints & Solutions Search
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No