Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Confusing Puzzles Building
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Shendy
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 132
IP: Logged

File: Confusing Puzzles Building.hold (31.5 KB)
Downloaded 57 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Confusing Puzzles Building (+1)  
Here is, finally, my fourth hold. This hold took me about a year to make it (Yes, I started to make this hold since Dan's Dungeon was in beta) and this hold was originally intended to be the sequel to Dan's Dungeon. Please don't be angry at me for not making this hold Anyone-Edit. Don't worry though because I have playtested this hold.

Here's the storyline of the hold:
Beethro was walking across the High Path, delivering a package to the Kingdom of Minerina. However, he had to pass through the Confusing Puzzles Building because the main path to Minerina was blocked.

So what is this hold exactly?
In this hold, you would find puzzles, which I think are easy to medium in difficulty. There a few levels for you to solve, and this hold is fairly linear. But please, try my hold, it contains several puzzles for you to solve (maybe not that much, but still...).

Update Log:
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Shendy at 06-14-2012 08:36 AM]
12-03-2011 at 12:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mxvladi
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2505
icon Re: Confusing Puzzles Building (0)  
All done. Some comments:

Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by mxvladi at 12-03-2011 06:51 PM]
12-03-2011 at 01:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Shendy
Sorry for the Necrobumping or whatever, but I am to say that I have updated this hold. The hold has already been updated for a few weeks but I forgot to make a post about the update...My apologies. Anyways, the updates in this hold, along with the file, is shown in the first post.
04-13-2012 at 03:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Shendy
Alright... I think that this hold's not getting any comments whatsoever. Alright, so I intend to submit this to the HAs, but I would like to see more comments.

So, yeah, please do download my hold (Only 8 downloads by now) and comment it.

04-26-2012 at 12:59 PM
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
I'll take a look this evening. Had forgotten about this.

04-26-2012 at 01:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Shendy
icon Re: Confusing Puzzles Building (+1)  
I guess that I'm going to submit this hold to the HAs, if no one else wants to comment.

I really appreciate your comments about this hold.

[Last edited by Shendy at 06-05-2012 02:03 PM : rephrase]
06-05-2012 at 02:02 PM
mxvladi
icon Re: Confusing Puzzles Building (+2)  
Wow, completely forgot about this hold.

So... was Adder zone 2N changed in any way in new version? It seems like it was, but the wait-until-most-adders-kill-themselves solution still works. If invisibility potion at 13,27 gets moved somewhere(or removed entirely), I'd say it will force me to enter the adder area before most of them die.

Oh, and I like the changes you did to some of other rooms. Can't say anything bad about them(except "Building Entrance: Entrance", where fixing the puzzle rather than making it non-puzzle room would be better IMO, but it's up to you).
06-05-2012 at 02:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mxvladi
UPDATE 2 (Version 3): This could possibly be the final version, and the version for HA approval and release. The ADDER Zone 2N is replaced with an entirely new puzzle. N.B.: It's still about adder killing.

Adder zone 2N is good now.

I've noticed that in Potion Storage 2N 1W you have unexplained scripting. It doesn't bother me(since it's pretty clear what those scripted mimics are going to do), but some people might complain anyway, so I suggest adding some sort of explanation.

Also, I've replayed some parts of hold, and spotted unintended solution in Building Entrance: 1S 3E. Roach which starts at 18,11 doesn't *have to* be the monster which hits pressure plate at 36,10 for me. It also means I don't have to lure other monsters on all three force arrows(I lured one of them at 31,10, though).

Oh, and I suggest waiting for somebody else to play through the hold before you submit it(maybe Jacob will come back with some comments eventually?).

[Last edited by mxvladi at 06-05-2012 08:41 PM]
06-05-2012 at 05:11 PM
Shendy
Hold is now updated! See first post for details and file.
06-06-2012 at 07:14 AM
mxvladi
BE 1S 3E still not fixed - I can use goblin to hit that pressure plate. Moving it one square further down would fix it, though. One of postmastery versions(1E) is broken because of this, too(roach queen not needed except to spawn a roach for me so I can block force arrow at 28,10). Postmastery 1E is really weird room anyway, because I don't need goblin or inital roach anyway - roach queen can spawn as much roaches as I want(it can hit that pressure plate, too, by the way). And why there's crumby wall passage there is beyond me.

Postmastery 2E works fine, by the way.

On my way to postmastery level, I've conquered some secret I previously didn't bother to find/do. I'll note that I really liked Briar level secret.

[Last edited by mxvladi at 06-06-2012 02:41 PM]
06-06-2012 at 11:07 AM
mxvladi

File: BE 1S 3E versions.hold (1.9 KB)
Downloaded 46 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Confusing Puzzles Building (+5)  
(Version 4a): Fixed the US in Building Entrance 1S3E. Removed Hold Master's Zone 1E.

Almost there. The only issue in BE 1S 3E now is based on one of builder quirks.

Using builder+relay stations is a very bad idea. It causes another unintended solution based on quirky builder behaviour(my attempts to explain it follow): after being unable to get to some relay station, builder decides to go for another one, even if it's further and even if the way to closer one becomes open after that.

In case with 1S 3E, I can, for example, lure aumtlich at 24,11 and hit the orb. The builder will try to get to 3 upper relay stations for a while. After he gives up and faces SE(trying to get to lower relay station this time), I can finally let aumtlich move away from the passage... and builder will go to lower relay station, bypassing the two unblocked upper ones.

So, in short, don't use builders unless you have to. They are weird, weird things. EDIT: Actually... screw what I said about not using builders. The main issue with this room is that you don't limit player's movement in any way after the orb is hit(and before builder gets to lower relay station). This is the primary reason why various unintended solutions are actually possible - if I won't be able to move anywhere while builder gets to needed relay station, chances that I'll be able to break something are very low. By the way, the version of the room with only aumtlich and builder would work very well as postmastery version of the room.

With that said, if you still don't want to limit player's movement at all, you'll have to come up with something clever to prevent unintended solutions.

EDIT2: Also, to save you some time, I've attached a hold with two versions of 1S 3E -> one where I can't break anything because I'm blocked after hitting orb, and one with only aumtlich and builder(demos for both of rooms are watchable from title screen). Feel free to take ideas/use these rooms.

[Last edited by mxvladi at 06-06-2012 03:47 PM]
06-06-2012 at 02:46 PM
Shendy
Updated again... Special thanks to mxvladi for the reasons stated already in my update log.
06-07-2012 at 02:33 PM
BoyBlue
Rank Points: 547
I played through the hold (though I can't say I tested it very carefully).

The only problem I saw is that it isn't necessary to enter Potion Storage 1N1E.

And "concoctions" is misspelled in the Potion Storage intro.
06-10-2012 at 11:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Shendy
If there are no more opinions on this hold, I will submit this to the HAs.

EDIT: I'm submitting this hold to the HAs.

[Last edited by Shendy at 06-14-2012 08:39 AM]
06-13-2012 at 07:37 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Confusing Puzzles Building
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com