Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : DROD:TCB 3.3.0 Release ("The All-Seeing Eye")
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5058
IP: Logged
icon DROD:TCB 3.3.0 Release (+10)  
The official TCB 3.3.0 release ("The All-Seeing Eye") is now available for Windows. Download it here. It is called DROD: The City Beneath v3.3.0.96 Patch.

This is a new major version update for DROD:The City Beneath. As such, this version will export "version 3.3" data files that cannot be loaded into pre-3.3 versions of DROD. This version is backwards-compatible, except for game logic fixes noted in the change log.

It is recommended that all DROD:TCB players upgrade to this new version of the game.

In the 3.3 release, there are CaravelNet stability improvements, some new scripting conveniences, several bug fixes, new UI conveniences, and performance enhancements.

New Windows installations will now maintain player data outside of the "Program Files" directory by default, so you will no longer need to run the game as Administrator on Windows 7 and Vista. Existing Windows installations can also be manually modified, if you so desire, to stop having to run the game as Administrator.

You may see the extensive change list for version 3.3.0 here. It's everything listed in the first post of the "DROD 3.3.0 Patch" thread -- that's a lot of new stuff! Many of these improvements were implemented by TFMurphy and schik, so please send some praise their way!

This is planned to be the last major version upgrade for DROD 3. There might be some minor non-version-changing bug fix patches posted in the future, but apart from that, the next major version of the game released will be in the form of the DROD 4 game engine.

3.3.0 Linux and Mac builds forthcoming.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 10-29-2011 11:10 PM]
10-29-2011 at 11:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
PMIT
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 159
icon Re: DROD:TCB 3.3.0 Release (0)  
I really hope I'm not being dense here (and that this is an appropriate place for this), but after downloading and applying the patch, attempting to open DROD leaves me with the following error message:

"Problem Starting DROD

Couldn't access DROD data. If you are running DROD from a networked location, this could be a cause of the problem. It's also possible that another application is trying to access DROD data at the same time; you may wish to retry running DROD after other applications have been closed."

I attempted to reapply the patch after closing all applications, to no effect. My OS is Windows 7 64-bit and the previous patch ran perfectly with my current set-up. If you need any more information or pictures, please let me know.

10-30-2011 at 03:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
TFMurphy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3118
icon Re: DROD:TCB 3.3.0 Release (+1)  
I believe your problem is probably identical to that listed in this thread in the Bugs board. Namely, it's likely down to a combination of Windows 7, VirtualStore and Administration rights.

I don't have Windows 7, so cannot help troubleshoot this problem. I believe the simplest solution is to install DROD in a location other than Program Files (for instance, my install folder happens to be C:\Deadly Rooms of Death\DROD - The City Beneath), and copy your .dats from the VirtualStore location. I realise that this isn't an ideal solution, but I'm not sure exactly what DROD is doing that is different now that is causing the new patch to not work with VirtualStore.
10-30-2011 at 10:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
I suspect TFMurphy's right, but there's another possibility I've seen,

I've not yet installed this patch, but have found the same error message on occasions where DROD files were somehow Read-only,
and this was corrected by selecting the drod folder and looking in properties (and unchecking the Read-only box).

I'm going to try the patch now, so we'll see what happens for me.

Nice work getting ironing out all these bugs and getting the patch out, guys.

10-30-2011 at 10:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
PMIT
Rank Points: 159
icon Re: DROD:TCB 3.3.0 Release (+2)  
TFMurphy wrote:
I believe your problem is probably identical to that listed in this thread in the Bugs board. Namely, it's likely down to a combination of Windows 7, VirtualStore and Administration rights.

I don't have Windows 7, so cannot help troubleshoot this problem. I believe the simplest solution is to install DROD in a location other than Program Files (for instance, my install folder happens to be C:\Deadly Rooms of Death\DROD - The City Beneath), and copy your .dats from the VirtualStore location. I realise that this isn't an ideal solution, but I'm not sure exactly what DROD is doing that is different now that is causing the new patch to not work with VirtualStore.

Ah, I had glanced at that topic, but hadn't realized that this was the same problem. Based on Kafka's description of the problem, I agree that this is most likely the same problem.

I tried your suggestion, accidentally copying the same DataPath.txt file in the VirtualStore directory. With that file, the same error appeared, but deleting it allowed DROD to run smoothly, saving changes after closing the program and opening it again. As for now, it looks like everything will work, but if I run into further complications I will post in the other thread.

Also, I've checked a the properties of a few of the DROD files, including that DataPath.txt, and none of them were marked as read-only. It's certainly possible I wasn't checking relevant files though.

Thanks for your help and all the work on the patch!

10-30-2011 at 04:45 PM
mrimer
Thanks for testing this out, PMIT. I'm not quite sure that I understand the entire way to fix this for Windows 7 users with VirtualStore enabled. Can someone give me a numbered list of things a user needs to do when upgrading to 3.3.0 if they experience this same issue, for posting in the faq, etc.

11-01-2011 at 06:04 PM
Jutt
Rank Points: 863
I posted instructions in the bugs forum how I solved these issues. Maybe someone else with the same problems can verify this solution works for them too?

Also, as I mentioned in the other thread, this happened to me on Vista, not Win 7.

11-01-2011 at 10:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
I just installed the new patch (Windows 7, 64-bit), and when I reopened DROD, I had none of my player data - rooms conquered, demos, the holds I was building in the editor, etc - as if I had just installed the game for the first time.

My last player backup is several months old. Is there some way I can find the lost material? or at the least, a way to undo the patch so I can back everything up beforehand?

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....

[Last edited by The_Red_Hawk at 11-12-2011 11:46 PM]
11-12-2011 at 11:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
The_Red_Hawk wrote:
I just installed the new patch (Windows 7, 64-bit), and when I reopened DROD, I had none of my player data - rooms conquered, demos, the holds I was building in the editor, etc - as if I had just installed the game for the first time.
It's probably a problem with Windows' %&+#@! VirtualStore-system; check out this post from Mike for a way to fix it...

Your data isn't gone, it's just that the game itself can't find it anymore, so you'll have to help it a little.

np: Richard Wells - Gilbert's Door (Being Human Series 1 & 2 Original Television Soundtrack)

11-13-2011 at 10:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Yes, what Briareos mentions is the issue, and the linked fix should work for you.

You can, of course, look in the game's installation directory's 'Data' dir to make a backup of the .dat files there, if you need to.

And, as a fall-back strategy, you can always just reinstall the previous game version patch.

11-13-2011 at 04:57 PM
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
Thank you very much - I now have everything back. :) Will both copies of the DAT files (the one in C:\ProgramData\Caravel\drod-3_0 and the one in the Virtual Store path) continue to be updated as I play, or should I delete the Virtual Store files to avoid any potential confusion in the future?

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
11-13-2011 at 07:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
The_Red_Hawk wrote:
Thank you very much - I now have everything back. :) Will both copies of the DAT files (the one in C:\ProgramData\Caravel\drod-3_0 and the one in the Virtual Store path) continue to be updated as I play, or should I delete the Virtual Store files to avoid any potential confusion in the future?
Excellent! Good question. If you have either updated or deleted "DataPath.txt" so that 3.3 now uses the .dat files in C:\ProgramData\Caravel\drod-3_0, then you will no longer need the Virtual Store files and can delete the Virtual Store directory entirely.

Of course, for personal piece of mind, I might suggest you zip up the .dat files in the Virtual Store path for "back-up insurance" and then delete the files in that location, so that you will have this copy of your player data to revert back to if you ever need it in the future.

[Last edited by mrimer at 11-14-2011 06:01 PM]
11-14-2011 at 06:01 PM
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
Okay, I bought a new computer. I clicked to dl the tcb 3.3.0.96 version and it says a dl link will be emailed. Maybe 20 mins later no email so like any impatient droder i click the file again and get the same message and same results. No emails, not even in spam.

I downloaded the patch for the fun of it but it has no drod to patch.

Anyone got any ideas?
11-17-2011 at 11:23 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
larrymurk wrote:
Anyone got any ideas?
Copy the folder you installed DROD in from your old machine to your new one and delete the DataPath.txt?

DROD should run fine, you'll just have to create a shortcut for it, and you won't have uninstall entries for it...

11-18-2011 at 11:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
larrymurk wrote:
Okay, I bought a new computer. I clicked to dl the tcb 3.3.0.96 version and it says a dl link will be emailed. Maybe 20 mins later no email so like any impatient droder i click the file again and get the same message and same results. No emails, not even in spam.

Anyone got any ideas?
Emailed link isn't working for me either (and others). The upgrade failed so would like to reinstall an older version...
11-18-2011 at 07:18 PM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Upgraded to 3.3.0 and finally got things working thanks to skell.

However, though my player is "remembered" and the last room I was playing is also remembered, all my progress is gone. VodkaAndCoke player also has not been restored. I wonder if having multiple player accounts is an issue (as has been in past upgrades)?

I'll try and import one of my backed up player files and see if my progress is restored. Copying over all my dats doesn't help.
11-18-2011 at 07:50 PM
mrimer
Syntax wrote:
Upgraded to 3.3.0 and finally got things working thanks to skell.

However, though my player is "remembered" and the last room I was playing is also remembered, all my progress is gone. VodkaAndCoke player also has not been restored. I wonder if having multiple player accounts is an issue (as has been in past upgrades)?

I'll try and import one of my backed up player files and see if my progress is restored. Copying over all my dats doesn't help.
If you moved your game files to a new directory, then it sounds like you left out one of the .dat files, possibly save.dat, that contains the player save files.

[Last edited by mrimer at 11-19-2011 12:19 AM]
11-19-2011 at 12:19 AM
Panther
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 402
Syntax wrote:
larrymurk wrote:

Anyone got any ideas?
Emailed link isn't working for me either (and others). The upgrade failed so would like to reinstall an older version...

I am one of those others.

Larry, did you ever get your link? I requested one some hours after you posted to see if I'd get the email, and it never showed; never even got an entry in my procmail log. ISTR also having a problem with receiving an email regarding requesting a new CN key from in-game. (Impatient drodder that I am, I worked around it by just getting one from my profile page.)

I do know that my email on record works ok; I got Mike's automated CN subsciption expiry warning right on time, and also receieved my subscription activation key promptly after ordering.

Not receiving this link doesn't affect me directly right now, as I have my copy and the patch took ok. But in addition to the fact that it is affecting other folks now, I'm also a bit concerned that I might not receive my download link for GrateEB once that's relevant. So, hoping someone has an idea what might be going on.
11-23-2011 at 11:53 PM
mrimer
icon Re: DROD:TCB 3.3.0 Release (+5)  
Sorry about the e-mail troubles. Someone had apparently taken the Caravel e-mail server on a joyride along some train tracks, but I think it's back now. I tried requesting a download link and received it this time. Are you still having this problem?

[Last edited by mrimer at 11-24-2011 12:11 AM]
11-24-2011 at 12:11 AM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
...mrimer, it saddens me how many people aren't going to get that one.
11-24-2011 at 12:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
12th Archivist
Rank Points: 789
Banjooie wrote:
...mrimer, it saddens me how many people aren't going to get that one.
Background info on what "joyride along the train tracks" means.

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
11-24-2011 at 12:23 AM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Man, no, that is ruining it
you are ruining everything
christmas is over forever
why 12th archivist why
11-24-2011 at 12:43 AM
Panther
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 402
mrimer wrote:
Sorry about the e-mail troubles. Someone had apparently taken the Caravel e-mail server on a joyride along some train tracks, but I think it's back now. I tried requesting a download link and received it this time. Are you still having this problem?

Working fine, now, thanks! (Hey, I got to use a mod point! :w00t)

I hope Larry managed to get it straightened out...I mean, wow, a whole week without drod? :~(
11-24-2011 at 12:49 AM
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
I tried a few days later w/ ie instead of firefox and it worked!
11-24-2011 at 01:05 AM
jag
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 12
mrimer wrote:

Where might one find the aforementioned Linux patch?
03-23-2012 at 11:38 PM
mrimer
jag wrote:
mrimer wrote:

Where might one find the aforementioned Linux patch?
Check out this post on the stickied Patches thread on this board.

03-24-2012 at 07:53 PM
jag
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 12

File: caravel_download.png (242.1 KB)
Downloaded 45 times.
License: Other
http://forum.caravelgames.com/downloads.php?
I only see one linux patch there, for the KDD 'Neather.
Above that is five different windows patches, no other linux patch.
Maybe I have _very_ selective vision, but that is less likely since I would rather select linux...
There is a TCB v3.3.0.96 patch, but only for windows.
I've also tried reload and super-reload, no luck.
Screenshot attached
03-25-2012 at 02:44 AM
kyevan
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 54
I don't think there's an actual patch. Non-Windows is second class and you have to subscribe to caravelnet and do a full reinstall.
03-25-2012 at 02:48 AM
asmussen
Rank Points: 188
I think there might be some sort of issue with the downloads page. I don't see any of the TCB installers on there in the section for caravelnet users. Only the JTRH ones and prior. I think maybe there is some sort of glitch preventing them from showing up for at least some users who should have access to them.

03-25-2012 at 08:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5383
asmussen wrote:
I think there might be some sort of issue with the downloads page. I don't see any of the TCB installers on there in the section for caravelnet users. Only the JTRH ones and prior. I think maybe there is some sort of glitch preventing them from showing up for at least some users who should have access to them.
I sent you a PM with activation links for a couple orders that you never activated.

[Last edited by Schik at 03-25-2012 09:21 AM]
03-25-2012 at 09:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : DROD:TCB 3.3.0 Release ("The All-Seeing Eye")
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com