Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Blocks that matter
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Bombadil
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 509
IP: Logged
icon Blocks that matter (+3)  

So I was a bit reluctant as if to buy this game since puzzle plataforms are not my favourite kind of puzzles (specially when they require very precise timing), but seeing that most reviews were giving it good marks I went ahead and bought it on Steam.

You can watch the trailer here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aDtip5b-Kc

The storyline is not very complex
Click here to view the secret text

but it is kind of funny, does not get much in the middle of the gameplay and doesn't make you watch a long introduction before getting into action.

Even though they sell it as a mash up between Boulder dash, Tetris and Minecraft, (BTM = Blocks That Matter) the game mechanics are fairly simple. You control a robot that can collect blocks and place them in forms of tetraminoes (tetris pieces). Also, you can clear lines of 8 or more blocks. Some blocks have different properties (e.g., sand falls if there is nothing underneath it, ...).

After a couple of hours I am around 30 % in the main quest (or so the game wants me to believe) and I am having a lot of fun with it. I didn't find any puzzle that had me thinking for a long time but I find it very enjoyable. In each level there is a chest you can (optionally) collect, each one of them making homage to one video game. Getting those is a bit trickier.

I think the gameplay has a lot of possibilites, and I'd like to see what else the creators have in mind. I also hope the later levels get a bit harder.

It's out on Steam and only costs 5 EUR (I don't know how much will it cost in dollars). It is 10% off for a few days. My advice is get it!.
(It seems it is also available on XBLA for you couch-dwelling console owners).

Has any one else here played it?
08-22-2011 at 11:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Bombadil
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 509
IP: Logged
icon Re: Blocks that matter (+1)  

So I have completed the main quest. In fact it is the only one there is, but I think a level editor is on the works so in the future user levels might appear.

The game is not very long (40 levels I think). And they are not very difficult. There is a level where there is a very precise jump that made me repeat it a few times, but the puzzles are fairly easy.

Apart from the blcoks that you can collect on each level, you can also get a star on each of them by reaching the end with a minimum number of blocks collected. This adds for more challenge and sometimes alternate solutions for the levels.

Collecting stars unlocks "special" levels with tougher puzzles, some of them very tricky and enjoyable. I wish the main levels would have more of this kind of (lynchpin) puzzles.

So, in summary. I wish it would have gotten harder puzzles, but still very enjoyable to play.
08-31-2011 at 10:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Blocks that matter
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No