Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Donkey Kong (1994) (In which I go back to a childhood favorite and find out it's actually pretty good.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Snacko
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 448
IP: Logged
icon Donkey Kong (1994) (+2)  
Before he did the whole saving the princess thing, Mario was a carpenter and animal torturer named Jumpman. Tired of all the abuse, Jumpan's pet ape Donkey Kong stole the carpenter's girlfriend Pauline and prompted a chase through a never ending series of identical skyscrapers and one really great documentary.. It was praised for its great variety and precise platforming and recieved several sequels including but absolutely not limited to Donkey Kong Jr. and Super Mario Bros., the latter of which saved the industry in the late 80s. It was the first game directed by Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of Mario, Zelda, Excitebike and Pikmin. Donkey Kong would spend the rest of his life making fourth-wall breaking jokes at the expense of his identically named grandson, the protagonist of Rare's Donkey Kong Country series.

Before his slip into electronic senility, Donkey Kong received a port on the Nintendo Gameboy, though it took 13 years to get there. That's not the only strange thing about the game, after the original final level is completed, Donkey Kong wakes up and the chase continues through another some 100 levels that are all far more complex and challenging than the original four.

Things start out easy. They don't stay that way.

The 1994 Donkey Kong is actually a puzzle platformer. It focuses on the more precise platforming of the original (as opposed to the faster and more exploration-based Super Mario Bros.) and features an extremely agile Mario with the ability to preform handstands and backflips (the latter of which would later be an important ability in Super Mario 64 as well). In most levels, Mario needs to find a key and bring it to a door, while every fourth level is a boss fight against Donkey Kong in the style of the arcade game's levels. Although these all fit in to the same basic style, the level design is astoundingly creative and the whole experience finds a great balance between mind-bending puzzle design and addictive platforming, often at the same time.

Nintendo would revisit the formula years later with the GBA Mario vs. Donkey Kong (Nintendo continued to release some great puzzle games under the banner, but they focused on more Lemming-style puzzles that lacked any platforming) that was another solid title despite a jarringly weird graphical style, but didn't manage to live up the original game, mostly because Donkey Kong 1994 was a refreshing, surprising turn for the carpenter and along with the sublime The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (which was not only a totally solid action-adventure on a handheld, but lived up to its legendary predecessor A Link to the Past) proved that a handheld game could be just as fully featured and polished as a console title.

I played a lot of this game when I was a kid although I was never any good at it, and now am replaying it on the 3DS's virtual console. It has held up remarkably well and I can heartily recommend it to any puzzle game fan.

[Last edited by Snacko at 08-17-2011 12:19 PM]
08-17-2011 at 12:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
west.logan
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 608
icon Re: Donkey Kong (1994) (0)  
Thanks Snacko, I'd not heard of the GBA version and it sounds good. Don't have a 3DS but I do have a DS with emulators.

By the way, while I'm thinking about it, if anyone ever comes across a book called "Game Over" on this history of Nintendo, do yourself a favor and read it. Absolutely fascinating.

08-17-2011 at 12:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
icon Re: Donkey Kong (1994) (+1)  
Funny you should post about this game - I just played it in full for the first time yesterday. I was coming down off of completing Donkey Kong Country Returns and was reminded about this game when reading through the DK wiki page.

I agree that it was a fitting direction to take the series after the early DK games, but I was actually underwhelmed by DK '94. I actually found the game to be much easier than I expected, particularly the vs. DK levels. It was as if they had designed half of the levels, then decided to give Mario a powerful backflip, and then forgot to redesign their levels accordingly. It wasn't uncommon to shortcut levels simply by being a good jumper.

This game is often referred to as an action puzzler, but I found that the puzzles were either not there, or not difficult. This game errs on the action side of that coin.

If you're seeking a real action puzzler on the Game Boy, I'd recommend another forgotten Miyamoto classic: Mole Mania. Though not without its own flaws, the game's mechanics are solid, and several of the puzzles will legitimately stump you. I replayed this game a few weeks ago, and found that it still holds up, even though my DROD-altered brain was able to find many more unintended solutions than I remembered as a kid.

08-17-2011 at 08:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
west.logan
Rank Points: 608
While I'm thinking about it, if you have access to an NES (or an NES emulator) then I highly recommend Adventures of Lolo: 1, 2 and 3. Excellent little puzzle games.

[Last edited by west.logan at 08-17-2011 08:57 PM]
08-17-2011 at 08:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Holy christ, Mole Mania, that game was awesome.

Also, re: Donkey Kong '94. I remember reading about this in Nintendo Power and desperately wanting to try it.
08-17-2011 at 11:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Snacko
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 448
The Adventures of Lolo are really awesome, but I've never played Mole Mania.

The original is actually sort of a best of package of what was formerly a Japanese only series, but the others are full games.

08-18-2011 at 02:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
The Architest
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 254
Ah, I really liked the sequel (GBA one), but I was disappointed by the DS ones. (March of the Minis, Minis March Again)
I wish Nintendo would make a more 'true' sequel for Donkey Kong '94 and Mario vs. Donkey Kong.
08-19-2011 at 08:29 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Donkey Kong (1994) (In which I go back to a childhood favorite and find out it's actually pretty good.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com