Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Big Journey to Home (This game is like DROD)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Kitten
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 23
IP: Logged
icon Big Journey to Home (+14)  
Russian name: Большое путешествие домой
English name: Big Journey to Home
Platforms: Windows, Mac OS X, Linux
Editor: Game Maker
License type: Commercial
Languages: English, Russian
Done by: 100%
Web site: http://bigjourneytohome.com/
Development time: 05.07.10-20.08.15
Hello, people! I'd like to tell you about a project I recently started. It's a turn-based logical game. You must think every move trough. Until you move, no monster will ever move. Try to play the demo-version and try the first two levels!

Description:
Welcome to the world of adventures!
You play as Jake, a simple guy who accidently got into trouble. What will happen to him, how he will behave, will he get home or not, all that depends on you. You will encounter a variety of creatures along your way, from roaches to huge scorpions, lizards and even small hamsters! Apart from living beings, you will see a variety of complex mechanisms. To overcome snow, forests, deserts and underground areas, you will require a good weapon. Though you already have that - a well-sharpened blade that will slice (almost) every monster.
The game requires you to plan every step, so that monsters won't have you for dinner. However, if you stand still, the monsters won't touch you. The "Hardcore" mode won't let you sleep, though, it will require your full attention.
If a friend of yours keeps bothering you, you can play a separate story about Jake and his brother together. You can walk through the same far-away places and see the same monsters, however, they will behave differently. If your friend gets lost, you will be able to show him where to go using the built-in chat and marker.
The game has an achievement system - try to unlock them all! If you want to stay in this unusual world, you can extend the fun with usermade levels that people just like you can build. Thanks to the convenient level download system, you won't be leaving the game for a long time.
Key features:
-Learn how Jake ended up in the forest and help him back home
-Travel through dark forests, undergrounds, cold ice caves and hot deserts!
-Solve unique puzzles destroying wile monsters along your way!
-Play co-op with a friend! Learn how fun it is to solve puzzles together.
-Prove that you are the best! Leaderboards, achievements and a special difficulty setting will help you in this.
-Create your own puzzles using a built-in level editor and share them with the world.

Screenshots and video

This game is alike with DROD, therefore I'd like to ask for help with room creation, cause nobody except me builds them so far. Thanks.
Download demo (version 1.0 Windows, OS X, Linux, Android)
Buy game (version 1.0)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/388440

[Last edited by mrimer at 09-14-2015 07:49 PM]
08-09-2011 at 03:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1645
icon Re: Big Journey to Home (+1)  
Well, I have no idea how you hit a single rank point. I checked your posting history, didn't see anything /too/ egregious, so lemme boost you back up to 'able to post links'.
08-09-2011 at 06:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
icon Re: Big Journey to Home (0)  
Sadly, I can not play this for now because I use a mini keyboard which doesn't have the keypad required for movement:(
08-09-2011 at 06:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kitten
Banjooie wrote:
Well, I have no idea how you hit a single rank point. I checked your posting history, didn't see anything /too/ egregious, so lemme boost you back up to 'able to post links'.
This rank decrease is caused by a certain person, I wouldn't like to tell about this.
larrymark wrote:
Sadly, I can not play this for now because I use a mini keyboard which doesn't have the keypad required for movement:(
larrymurk, you can change the control type in settings, we have 3 available.
Also, if numpad doesn't seem to work, press Numlock ;)

08-09-2011 at 07:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Kitten
Dear Larry, we apologize that the layout was unchangeable, this is fixed now. You should redownload the demo.
Also, we have permission to use webfoot music. I also wonder whether it'd be possible to use AE music in such a way

08-10-2011 at 09:37 AM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Looks very polished indeed!
I can't seem to get the character to move though using the keypad... Is there still an issue? I noticed an update on your site regarding this.

Looking forward to playing it.
08-10-2011 at 01:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
12th Archivist
Rank Points: 789
Kitten wrote:
I also wonder whether it'd be possible to use AE music in such a way
AE music is for free use and has no copyright. Feel free to use it however you wish.

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
08-10-2011 at 02:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
Well, I changed to controlling using mouse clicks which seems to work.

When I step on scrolls, they open but I don't see any message.

I don't think you want the force arrows to act the way they do. You can walk onto an arrow from any direction. You must exit the arrow in the exact direction the arrow points.

I couldn't kill the roach even though I had 2 kicks. It says to use 'D' but I click on the D and nothing happens.

I'm using the English, but I get a message in Turkish when I click on Play and again when I exit play field.
08-10-2011 at 02:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kitten
larrymurk wrote:
Well, I changed to controlling using mouse clicks which seems to work.

When I step on scrolls, they open but I don't see any message.

I don't think you want the force arrows to act the way they do. You can walk onto an arrow from any direction. You must exit the arrow in the exact direction the arrow points.

I couldn't kill the roach even though I had 2 kicks. It says to use 'D' but I click on the D and nothing happens.

I'm using the English, but I get a message in Turkish when I click on Play and again when I exit play field.

Who said this *is* DROD and everything must be identical?
Scrolls are similar to checkpoints here.
Arrows behave differently too, don't be so surprised
To use the sword, you should hold "D" down and press the direction in which you wish to hit. I understand many don't seem to realize this, therefore we'll fix this in the tutorial later.
This isn't Turkish. This is Russian. We'll fix this, don't worry.

08-10-2011 at 04:11 PM
Syntax
I think any feedback is good feedback so hope you don't think anyone is having a go. larrymurk is a veteran game designer so his input should prove valuable.

Just seems you took positive critism a bit personally.
08-20-2011 at 10:45 PM
Kitten
Just seems you took positive critism a bit personally.
Please, participate in development! I have nobody to rely on, and I can't handle it alone :(
Syntax wrote:
I think any feedback is good feedback so hope you don't think anyone is having a go. larrymurk is a veteran game designer so his input should prove valuable.
Syntax, I have nothing against larrymurk, I just made a reply

[Last edited by Kitten at 08-26-2011 02:42 PM]
08-26-2011 at 02:41 PM
west.logan
Rank Points: 608
It's alright Kitten, I didn't think you were responding poorly.

I took a look at your video prior to that comment and sure enough, it is not like DROD in many ways. It looks pretty neat though.

08-26-2011 at 02:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Yur-Val
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 66
Great game! :thumbsup
08-27-2011 at 07:26 AM
Vladislav
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 8
Good game

[Last edited by Vladislav at 10-26-2011 07:34 PM]
10-26-2011 at 07:19 PM
Syntax
Downloaded the latest demo (0.2.2) and can't get the keys to work. Also, all the in-game messages are garbled as though they're not encoded properly. I did select English.

Will try with mouse controls but am worried that when it comes to attacking I won't be able to use the D key.
10-27-2011 at 09:30 AM
Kitten
Syntax wrote:
Downloaded the latest demo (0.2.2) and can't get the keys to work. Also, all the in-game messages are garbled as though they're not encoded properly. I did select English.

Will try with mouse controls but am worried that when it comes to attacking I won't be able to use the D key.

All controls work properly, you just need to enable numlock.
Yeah, the in-game messages aren't yet localized, we're working on it.
And the mouse controls is currently intended for multi-touch screen devices, however, soon we'll try to adapt these controls for the regular mice

10-27-2011 at 03:50 PM
Syntax
Kitten wrote:
Syntax wrote:

All controls work properly, you just need to enable numlock.
Yeah, the in-game messages aren't yet localized, we're working on it.
And the mouse controls is currently intended for multi-touch screen devices, however, soon we'll try to adapt these controls for the regular mice
Using numlock makes no difference
10-28-2011 at 02:54 AM
Kitten
Syntax wrote:
Using numlock makes no difference
Try the joypad controls.
Do you have Windows Vista? I know, that for some people the numpad controls do not work in this Windows version

10-31-2011 at 02:00 PM
Syntax
Joypad controls? I don't have a joypad...
Also, it's Windows 7
10-31-2011 at 06:42 PM
Kitten
Syntax wrote:
Joypad controls? I don't have a joypad...
Also, it's Windows 7
Joypad isn't a control intended for joysticks. It's available for everyone. You can try that control method. In the Options menu, you will see the control keys. Write back if you succeed.

11-07-2011 at 04:52 PM
Kitten
Welcome players! This topic has not been updated for a long time, but we have new information. So, we bring you the teaser trailer and short gameplay video. We hope that you enjoy.
Also, we have begun to rewrite the script and can provide you with a prologue to the game:
Click here to view the secret text

In addition, we updated the cap topic herewith updated description of the game. And of course, do not forget the topic and comment on it! We really need some help in the creation of levels, so write! Thank you for not forgetting the game!
Sincerely, Silver Sword!

[Last edited by Kitten at 04-12-2012 04:51 PM]
04-12-2012 at 08:58 AM
Kitten
icon Re: Big Journey to Home (+2)  
Dear players!
Open beta of BJtH is now open! It will last for 10 days, after which it will turn into a regular demo. Co-op will be removed
This open beta has 1 singleplayer level and 1 co-op level. Some of the BJtH-Online features are included, such as:
-Co-op mode
-Online highscores (2 levels only)
-Chat in co-op (press the Home button)
-Achievable achievemnts
-Cloud saves
-Automatic updates
The reason for this beta is simple - we need you to test the co-op and a few other services. If you find a bug or an error press F11 in-game and follow the on-screen instructions
Currently the Windows version is published, other versions will be published soon
The 0.2.2 demo-version is now EOL, which is why the links to it no longer work
We hope that you will test this game thoroughly and await the full version
Sincerely yours, Silver Sword

09-10-2012 at 01:56 PM
Neather man
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 6

File: BIG Mistake!.btl (157.1 KB)
Downloaded 39 times.
License: Public Domain
I made some levels for you guys to kick back and relax to, even if it is hack and slash. I can only one at a time, so prepare of triple post.

[Last edited by Neather man at 12-27-2012 03:13 AM]
12-27-2012 at 03:12 AM
Neather man

File: Golem Fighter.btl (154.9 KB)
Downloaded 39 times.
A little strategy here.
12-27-2012 at 03:14 AM
Neather man

File: Roach Squad.btl (148.3 KB)
Downloaded 41 times.
Basic roach fighting.
12-27-2012 at 03:14 AM
alfied
Rank Points: 9
Here are really nice and most informative articles written by you. I have read your post and found it really helpful for all of us. I would like to say thanks to you for this great sharing. Keep it up.
07-19-2013 at 02:37 PM
Kitten
I updated demo-version of game. Download it! :)

11-25-2013 at 09:31 AM
Kitten
icon Re: Big Journey to Home (+2)  
I haven't written anything for about two years here. However, the project isn't abandoned, and a lot has changed. At last, the game is released today. You can buy it or you can try the demo-version (see links above). Besides that, the game is released on Steam. I hope you enjoy the game. :)

08-20-2015 at 05:58 PM
Grizzly
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 41
I've downloaded the game from IndieGameStand (IGS) today. It says V1.0 in the title menu but there's still a marquee banner on the bottom which tells me to download a beta. And somehow the scrolls don't show any info.
So I cannot read what they say about killing cockroaches.
Do I have to start a new game from the beginning or should I wait until the game is updated at IGS?
08-21-2015 at 03:32 PM
Kitten
Grizzly wrote:
I've downloaded the game from IndieGameStand (IGS) today. It says V1.0 in the title menu but there's still a marquee banner on the bottom which tells me to download a beta. And somehow the scrolls don't show any info.
So I cannot read what they say about killing cockroaches.
Do I have to start a new game from the beginning or should I wait until the game is updated at IGS?
The tutorial should mention the fact that scrolls save your position. They act as checkpoints and you can rollback to the last one by pressing E. Perhaps you missed this part of the tutorial. It also mentions how to kill the roaches. It's possible you haven't enabled the tutorial. You can do so in the settings.

08-21-2015 at 03:40 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Big Journey to Home (This game is like DROD)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com