Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : mini map at bottom left corner
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
bradwall
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 423
IP: Logged
icon mini map at bottom left corner (+1)  
I think a good addition to the game (at least for those that are getting use to the game) is with the mini map that is at the bottom-left corner of the window. As of now, the map will show a red room when the level is not complete and white when it is. I think that it would be nice if it would turn green after you kill everything in the room and it is safe to leave. Some rooms (not many) have a roach stuck by a corner of a wall and I don't see it. Then I leave and notice that I have to go back and redo the room.

Maybe it would be green, but if you hit a piece of still tar and it makes babies from the stab, then the map would show the room red again until you kill those extra tar babies you created. Then, when you leave the room, the map shows it as white and completed.

Just a suggestion.
05-02-2003 at 05:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: mini map at bottom left corner (0)  
I usually just have the volume on, and Beethro makes his little victory noise and you know you can leave safely. On the tar levels he will make his noise lots of times as you carve your way out.

However, a visual indicator would not be unreasonable.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
05-02-2003 at 07:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Re: mini map at bottom left corner (0)  
Oneiromancer wrote:
However, a visual indicator would not be unreasonable.
I agree. The green room on the map seems like a good idea, too.

-Erik

05-02-2003 at 07:49 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1721
definitely a good idea.

05-02-2003 at 08:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bradwall
Erik/Mike,

Is this going to be a reality in the future? I remember that I just played without sound the other day and didn't notice one trapped roach in the screen and left the room. I think it would be a nice idea. Do you think it will be incorporated in the future (near future)?
06-17-2003 at 04:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bdcribbs
Rank Points: 390
I've never played with sound since I play on my computer at work. I didn't even realize there was an indication you'd cleared the room -- many times have I mistakenly left thinking I was done (I have a habit of forgetting to kill the brains).
It would be really helpful to have a visual cue (other than the weird face beethro makes which is easy to miss).
06-17-2003 at 04:36 PM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
Put a task on SF for this.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
06-18-2003 at 05:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
bradwall
icon Re: Re: mini map at bottom left corner (0)  
mrimer wrote:
Put a task on SF for this.

Done, and Done!
06-18-2003 at 03:32 PM
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
icon Re: mini map at bottom left corner (+1)  
I went ahead and did this task. So hopefully it should be in the next release.

06-18-2003 at 10:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
Wow, Matt, you're awesome! It's great!

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
06-19-2003 at 02:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
Thanks... I had my sights on a couple of bugs, but by the time I got around to them you'd already fixed them!

If you or Erik happen to glance at how I did this one and have any constructive criticism (or don't have any), that would be cool. I'm still apprehensive about adding things to DROD... I'd hate to do something in a way that causes more work for you guys.

But this task in particular I liked - I usually have sound off/really low and have accidentally left a monster or two on a couple occasions.

Oh! And I accidentally checked it in with cheat mode on - I had to get to a tar level to really test it - but I have since checked it in with cheat mode off again.

06-19-2003 at 03:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : mini map at bottom left corner
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com