Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Crossed Paths (more messing around with brains.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Rabscuttle
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2460
IP: Logged

File: Crossed Paths.hold (1.9 KB)
Downloaded 74 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Crossed Paths (+3)  
The recent mention of Tar Ballroom reminded me that I had this room sitting in an unfinished hold, and I'd like to put it out there now because
* it's pretty cool
* I'm unlikely to finish this hold any time soon.
* I'd like to see if anyone else can do interesting stuff with the mechanism.

Note - although there's some tricksy brain stuff happening, you don't need to know how it works if you're just playing it - it should be pretty obvious what is happening.
06-28-2011 at 02:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Penwielder
Rank Points: 628
icon Re: Crossed Paths (0)  
This is closely related to the type of stuff we were doing here (a topic all about such tricksy door stuff), although that particular application never came up.

I like your wubba layout. With that you don't have to leave a way to clean up the mechanism afterward, like we did with snakes. It also has the disadvantage of requiring the brain, though, so which mechanism to choose ends up depending on the puzzle itself.

06-28-2011 at 03:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Neat. The last room in Force Fields is basically this, only I have an extra door

I'd also considered doing something like the force fields. - but I hadn't thought of using the up action of the on/off pressure pad - and I didn't like the constant banging of a character hitting an orb.

And the good thing about up-action/character-banging also allows spawned creatures to behave in a similar way. Although all spawned creatures will be in the same block in the movement cycle so they will all act the same...

unless..

hmm, I have an idea.

06-29-2011 at 05:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rabscuttle

File: More crossed paths.hold (1.3 KB)
Downloaded 49 times.
Ok, here we go. This is a rough example of how to do it - basically you have to cycle the monsters stepping on the pads so that the movement order is always correct.

However, if the travelling monsters don't make it through the door in time, then they end up moving before the corresponding door opens, so I added a third door (oremite) that they can exit instead.

Haven't even begun to think how this could be turned into a puzzle.

* Spawned baby move order is (tar, mud, gel) then (bottom right -> top left) by columns, so room alignment does have to be a certain way.

[Last edited by Rabscuttle at 06-29-2011 01:06 PM]
06-29-2011 at 01:02 PM
Rabscuttle

File: Undecided Mud.hold (1.4 KB)
Downloaded 47 times.
Here's another variation.

Just one tarstuff now - but the babies keep changing their mind about which door they want to leave by (they eventually come to a decision on their own)

This could be turned into a puzzle room by requiring the player to set up the middle (with trapdoors, mirrors, golems etc) so that the babies don't escape until they are supposed to.
07-01-2011 at 01:13 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Crossed Paths (more messing around with brains.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com