Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : Heroine's Quest: The Herald of Ragnarok (v1.2.3 includes Linux version and Russian translation)
Page 1 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Radiant
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 142
IP: Logged
icon Heroine's Quest: The Herald of Ragnarok (0)  
Crystal Shard is proud to announce the release of Heroine's Quest: The Herald of Ragnarok, available for FREE download!

Heroine's Quest: The Herald of Ragnarok is an adventure / RPG hybrid. Like in many adventure games, you have a world to save, and must use your wit, guile and inventory to puzzle your way through. Like in many roleplaying games, you can customize your character with various classes and skills, and must train yourself in combat to stand a chance against the fierce monsters in your way.

The game is designed in the spirit and atmosphere of the classics, and strives to have the same high quality of art, music, and plot. With multiple character classes and several solutions to many puzzles, the game has excellent replayability.

Features:
- Explore the rich world of Norse mythology!
- Three character classes with separate side quests: use your strength as a warrior, the arcane arts as a sorceress, wit and guile as a rogue, or create a hybrid with skills from multiple classes.
- 32 distinct voice acted characters with animated portraits.
- Over 100 hand-painted backgrounds and 10,000 sprites in animations.
- Many monsters, including giants, trolls, and svartalfar.
- High replayability due to optional quests, alternative solutions, and the three different classes.

Download from Steam.
Download from IndieDb.

[Last edited by Radiant at 12-23-2016 04:43 PM]
06-25-2011 at 11:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
dmatrixone
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 12
icon Heroine's Quest (0)  
There! I started a thread for Heroine's Quest! We've been talking about starting this thread for months but, it seems that we just never seem to get around to doing it. I suppose that I can start the discussion with a brief introduction.

My name is Dmitrii and my contribution to the project is some music - probably about half of the current tracks, and some art - mostly portraits. I was invovled in the project back around 2004, during the "Legend of Fair Spring" days. I returned in mid-2010 to the new and improved Norse-themed project headed by Radiant and Corby.

Here's a typical example of how portraits are made for the game.

[Last edited by Radiant at 02-05-2014 08:17 PM]
04-06-2012 at 07:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
grimreapyou
Rank Points: 10
icon Re: Heroine's Quest (0)  
Very interesting techniques.
The game is looking nice so far.
Let me know if perhaps you would eventually like to implement multiplayer into it.

04-08-2012 at 08:06 AM
Kyle
Hey!Any of you know, the game will be finished?

I knew it was finally abandoned ... :~(
Is there hope?:w00t
Someone taken up the project? :)
05-06-2012 at 09:09 PM
dmatrixone
Kyle wrote:

I knew it was finally abandoned ... :~(
Is there hope?:w00t
Someone taken up the project? :)

I'm not sure how you understood the above posts to mean that the game was abandoned. -_- Work is still progressing steadily.

You can check out the Heroine's Quest thread on the AGS boards for additional updates: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=38124.0
05-07-2012 at 08:07 AM
Corby
Rank Points: 13
There's hope!

Could be another year? Things are going quite fast. Testing could take awhile though.
05-08-2012 at 02:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Radiant
We're on Facebook now! Please like us if you're looking forward to this game. Spread the word!

https://www.facebook.com/HeroinesQuest

09-26-2012 at 12:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Radiant
Also, we're not even released yet and we're famous already :)

http://img3.ursegames.com/news/7466.html

http://www.gamezebo.com/games/heroines-quest/preview

09-26-2012 at 12:37 PM
Radiant
Whoo, 5000th post!

We're holding a poll to see whether we should include a voicepack with this game; please check our facebook page.

02-19-2013 at 08:57 PM
dactylopus
I've been excited about this game since I first noticed it. This trailer looks fantastic, and only makes me want to play it more.

Great work, keep it up!
03-02-2013 at 10:55 AM
netwarrior
This game is fantastic.
I'm waiting for years.
Hopefully it will come out soon!
03-04-2013 at 09:15 PM
Radiant
Here is a video of several scenes in the game that show the voice acting. Enjoy and tell your friends!

[Last edited by Radiant at 07-31-2013 11:12 PM]
07-31-2013 at 11:08 PM
Fizzii
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 22
... And we're getting very close to finishing the game!

We now have an IndieDB page with additional information/previews:

http://www.indiedb.com/games/heroines-quest

Also, Radiant is planning to be at AdventureX in London on 7th/8th December! Admission is free, so if you’re in the area, you can meet him and check out a pre-release version of the game. For more info about AdventureX, visit http://www.screen7.co.uk/adventurex/index.html
12-03-2013 at 11:06 AM
bugletruffle
While it is fantastic to hear that you are shooting for a release this month, God knows I was waiting for your game more than anything else, I am also sad because a couple years ago, I intended to mail you a wishlist of stuff I would love to see in Heroine's Quest, mainly features from the past QFG games, but real life issues got in the way until recently, and now that I know the game is very close to being released, I also know that, no matter how convincing my arguments are, there's no way any of the stuff I'd suggest is going to make it into the game, unless it's in there already.

But I figured there's no harm in asking is there? Although you can always say "The game's coming out this month, can't you wait and find out for yourself? ;)", I would be interested to know if any of the features I'd have suggested are currently in Heroine's Quest or not, just so I can be even more excited about its incoming release. Plus, you will have some food for thought if you plan to make Heroine's Quest 2 with the help of Kickstarter, and I hope you will :)

1) Danger everywhere you go
Although I love QFG2, if there is one point where Sierra screwed up it was that you mostly didn't need to leave Shapeir to progress in the game, almost everything happened in the safety of the city and later in its sister city. It really contrasted with QFG1 where you are constantly traveling between more than 15 locations, fighting, avoiding and running from monsters everywhere you go, if you wanted to progress in QFG1 you had to stay sharp and face the dangers that lurked outside the town walls. That doesn't mean you cannot have a QFG game set entirely in one big city, but it means that if you do, danger needs to lurk at every street corner, not just outside the city walls.

2) No minimap quick travel
One aspect where QFG3 and 5 failed at. Traveling on a map was just not the same as exploring Spielburg's valley for the first time. That sense of exploration and discovery is completely lost with a minimap, you also couldn't get lost, not to mention it removed a great deal of tension when you ran away from monsters because you did not need to remember your current location and the location of safe areas.

3) Keep your feet warm
Just like SQ1, QFG2 and KQ5 required us to stay hydrated in their respective deserts, I hope that Heroine's Quest, being the first time we get to explore an icy environment in the QFG universe, will requires us to not only eat and rest but also stay warm and protect ourselves from the nordic climate.

4) Earn your spells
The wizard was always my least favorite class in the series, but if there's one game in which I loved being a wizard, it was in QFG1. Because in QFG1 you had to earn your spells, you begun with 1 spell, and you had to search left and right, up and down, solve puzzles, beat minigames, and earn cash in order to find or buy the 7 remaining ones. In most of the following games, as if you weren't powerful enough because of the wide arsenal of spells you acquired in the past games, you also started with enough cash to buy all the new spells found in stores, leaving only 1 or 2 spells that you genuinely had to earn for yourself. Most of the fun I had with a magic user in the first game, of starting weak and earning my spells, was gone by QFG2. While on the subject of spells...

5) Learn new tricks
Casting the same spells from the first game gets old after 4 sequels. Due to the nature of Heroine's Quest and the fact that it's not a sequel you can import your past save file into, I hope you really seized this opportunity to ditch or tweak some of the spells from the old games and come up with new ones. Sure, there are spells from the old games that are stapple which you cannot really get rid of, but I wish that we will mostly have brand new spells to solve puzzles with.

6) The Elder Scrolls effect
Although I never played with hybrid characters when I first played any of the QFG games, and I always gave each of the 4 classes a proper playthrough before I spiced things up with hybrid classes, I've got to say that one of my little pleasure whenever I finished a QFG game or whenever I replay one is to create an hybrid character with the goal of completing every quests and sidequests in the game, kill all the monsters, rob every houses, acquire all spells, win at every minigames... just for the satisfaction of knowing I 100% completed every challenge, big and small, the game offered me. And it greatly bothered me when the later games in the series locked me out of potential challenges and rewards because of the class I chose rather than the skills my character knew. In a good QFG game, a sword wielding wizard or thief should not be forbidden from participating in every fighter related sidequest and vice versa. Speaking of sidequests...

7) A land of opportunities
QFG3's biggest fault was clearly its lack of sidequests. Although Tarna was especially barren for the thieves, I feel that all classes were affected by this. I hope Heroine's Quest will give us plenty of opportunities for us to put our character's unique skill set to use, no matter what class we choose to play. I think it's safe to say that in QFG, the more sidequests and side activities has always been the better, you just can't never have enough.

8) Being a fighter =/= being a jerk
I don't know if you intend to implement the paladin class but if you do, don't make the same mistake Sierra did in QFG3. QFG2 did a good job to differentiate the fighter and the paladin, both strive for peace, justice and the greater good, both defeat monsters, but while the fighter is driven by fortune and glory, the paladin is selfless and regards peace, justice and the greater good as a reward in itself. The fighter is a combat pragmatist, while the paladin will not fight dishonorably. Besting the griffin in a fight, if for nothing else than personal glory, was a very fighterish thing to do in QFG2. This greatly contrasted with QFG3 where the fighter was pictured like a douchebag. The only way for a fighter to not become a paladin in QFG3 was to act like a jerk to Rakeesh, the king and everyone you met in your journey. And that's not how the fighter should be portrayed if you ask me. While on the subject of sidequests and griffin...

9) The big game hunter
Unique challenging monsters and encounters are to the fighter class what thieves jobs or mage mazes are to the thief and wizard classes. QFG1 had the Goblin camp, the fortress entrance, the weapon master, the Hidengoseke unique troll, QFG2 had the griffin and the EOF initiation, the remake added Sir James and the Pizza Elemental (although that one was too difficult for me)... These encounters do not need to be graphically unique either, a couple of unique rare spawn, palette swapped, extra tougher version of a monster wandering the land would go a long way to add more stuff to do for the fighter class.

10) Money makes a terrible reward
Due to the lack of loot acquisition in QFG, the presence of free lodging and the immense fortunes you receive at the start of some of the QFG sequels, there generally come a time, especially with a thief, where you have tons of money and nothing to spend it on, sometimes it gets so bad that your purse encumbers you. There aren't too many solutions:

Either the design philosophy behind money in the series needs to be revamped, and by this I mean that money should become a resource that must be carefully managed, like it was during the first half of QFG1 (before the baron ruins everything by giving you 50 gold for rescuing his son), that means no more free lodging, no more free meals and being extra careful that at no point in the game the player can acquire an unbalanced amount of money that would remove the survival aspect.

Either quests reward you with money, but you can spend it on aesthetical upgrades (like in the remake of QFG2.)

Either quests continue to reward you with money but the stores sell magical items to makes your character stronger, like in QFG5. That may however encourage people to grind gold.

Either quests reward you in the form of magical items, tomes of forbidden knowledge, secret techniques... stuff that makes your character stronger instead of money (thieves could receive gold from heists but spend it on various thief tools and equipment). The advantage of that solution is those who solve puzzles and successfully complete quests and sidequests could get away with less stats grinding (a problem that plagued the series if you ask me), and the survival aspect remains intact (you will still need to find gold for your potions and lodging.)

Or it may also be a mix of all four solutions.

11) The import function
If you decide to make a sequel where we can import our character from the previous game, I think that like in QFG4, stats should be carried over but magical items, money and other unfair advantages should be left behind, to avoid situations where you have so much money you can buy everything right at the start, or situations where your character is too powerful too early.
12-10-2013 at 05:13 AM
Fizzii
Hi bugletruffle, thanks for your enthusiasm :)

I think you shouldn't be too disappointed with the game when it is released. Let me see:

1) Danger everywhere you go - yes, you do need to leave the city and travel through the forests and other locations to do quests.

2) No minimap quick travel - you will have to explore new places for your own for the first time, but there is an automap in game (though, you don't have to use it if you don't want to!). It doesn't teleport you though, you still have to walk.

3) Yes, you will need to stay warm otherwise you will eventually freeze to death :)

4) Earn your spells - definitely have to find them and solve puzzles to obtain some of them. Not all are for sale.

5) Learn new tricks - as far as I know (I never played QFG series extensively myself), the moves are not taken straight from QFG.

6) The Elder Scrolls effect - I haven't played any hybrid class in game myself, so I haven't checked how far you can hybridize. But I will say that I don't believe it is possible to be a paladin and also be a thief :).

7) A land of opportunities - plenty of side/optional quests, and also many puzzles with specific class solutions!

8) Being a fighter =/= being a jerk - I believe you can be a fighter and do good things without becoming a paladin. Being a paladin does involve taking a step further in terms of being good. But you could also be a jerk if you wanted to (but it's not necessary if you wish to remain a fighter).

9) The big game hunter - yes, there is a special creature and also some unique encounters.

10) Money makes a terrible reward - there's a mixture. Some quests/jobs will give some money, many others give other things. There are also some items you can spend your money on which you don't have to, but are nice to have.

Regarding sequels, it's probably not likely at this stage as we like to work on original content. It really depends on how busy everyone in the team is and what we want to work on! Regardless, Crystal Shard is non-profit so we wouldn't be making games commercially; and I don't believe that it will turn to commercial ventures in the foreseeable future as we do this as a hobby.

12-10-2013 at 06:43 AM
bugletruffle
Wow! I was expecting some features to be present but I didn't expect they would all be! By the look of it, Heroine's Quest will be one of the best game I ever played. :D
Fizzii wrote:
But I will say that I don't believe it is possible to be a paladin and also be a thief :).
I expected as much, neither could you in QFG (well, you could, but you'd have to ignore the heists and where's the fun playing a thief if you're not going to break into houses). But in QFG1 and 2, a fighter who invested 45 of the 50 starting skill points into magic, stealth and lock picking could learn every spell and undertake every class specific challenge like joining the Eternal Order of Fighters, the Wizard's Institute of Technocery and do every heist. But starting with QFG3 you couldn't do that anymore, the plot branched half way into the game depending on which class you picked at the start and careless of your character's skills only a thief could break into the tribal chiefs' huts, only a wizard could create the magic staff and duel the leopardman shaman, only a fighter or paladin could undertake the Simbani initiation ceremony, and only a fighter could become a paladin.
12-10-2013 at 08:05 AM
Radiant
icon Re: Heroine's Quest: The Herald of Ragnarok (0)  
And we're live with a christmas release! The game is available for free download at:

http://crystalshard.net/hq.htm

12-26-2013 at 12:25 AM
smaug
Just downloaded the game and played around with it, for an hour, or so.
What a truly magnificent masterpiece you have created here! You may even have outdone your own veritable classic that is A tale of two Kingdoms, and I think you may give the marvellous remake of QFG2, by AGDI, a run for it's money!

I have two questions on a technical level...

1. How do I get back to the guide book, which was presented at the start of the first starting up of the game? It told, among other things, how to get the game to run in a full window, which, incidentally, is my second question...

2. So how DO I make the game run in full window? There was mentioning of a full window button, I think, but I have not been able to locate it...

Thank you, so much, for this magnificent game you have created! It has all the promise of becoming one of the greatest games ever produced, free and commercial, included..!

12-26-2013 at 12:41 PM
Radiant
Thank you Smaug! To play the game full-screen, look for Heroine's Quest in your start menu. It should have two links, one to play the game, one to play full screen.

The manual (as well as another copy of these links) can be found in the place where you installed your game, the default location is C:\Program files\Heroine's Quest

HTH!

12-26-2013 at 12:50 PM
SuicideBunny
any chance of you including an option to resize the window or remap combat keys? having a big monitor makes the pixely text very hard to read and german keyboards have z and y switched.

n/m, changed gfxfiltering to stdscale3 and win8.1 can apparently use different keyboard layouts for different programs.

[Last edited by SuicideBunny at 12-27-2013 03:13 AM]
12-27-2013 at 02:37 AM
xlynx
Congrats on releasing! Can't wait to play it (just need to find time somehow!). The game looks amazing.

I created a community wishlist entry on GOG for Heroine's Quest, everyone please go vote there (I'm not allowed to post a direct link due to new user anti-spam, but if someone else can that would be nice!) :D
12-27-2013 at 08:29 AM
Frankie Teardrop
Awesome game. Unbelievable that this game is free. Good work. Captures the mood of the old QfG-games perfect.
12-29-2013 at 08:28 PM
Merudo
Awesome game so far!

One bug is causing me a lot of trouble however. Each time I throw 8 daggers in the row, the game crash.

This makes combat for my rogue extremely hard. I would really appreciate if you could fix for the new version.

Thanks!
12-29-2013 at 09:14 PM
Fizzii
I created a community wishlist entry on GOG for Heroine's Quest, everyone please go vote there (I'm not allowed to post a direct link due to new user anti-spam, but if someone else can that would be nice!) :D

The link would be http://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/heroines_quest_the_herald_of_ragnarok . If you want to see this game on GoG, please add it to your wishlist :)
12-30-2013 at 01:32 AM
Celtic Minstrel
Oh my. I knew there were a lot of posts about Heroine's Quest since my email has been incessantly filled with them since it was released, but I didn't realize that everything not HQ would've been pushed off the front page of the forum...

Speaking of which, is there any way on this forum software to reduce the email spam? Perhaps to one per day or one per week or something? Instead of sending an email for every single post.
12-30-2013 at 04:24 PM
Jacob
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3741
Can't you just disable email notification?

12-30-2013 at 09:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Celtic Minstrel
I could, but I had it enabled because I don't frequently visit this forum (which I suppose is partly because it wasn't very active), and wanted to be notified in case of any posts related to SubTerra in particular.

If this activity keeps up though, I might disable it. I'd like a different solution, but it doesn't look like there is one.

[Last edited by Celtic Minstrel at 12-31-2013 02:49 AM]
12-31-2013 at 02:49 AM
I was wondering if you have plans for your next project yet? And if there might be a Heroine's Quest sequel someday? :D
12-31-2013 at 08:10 PM
Iceberg
I'm really psyched to dig into this game! Are there any plans for making it compatible with the AGS mobile app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.agsstream1.diperla&hl=en) I use to play A Tale Of Two Kingdoms on my phone? Right now it doesn't seem to be working with it.

Cheers!

[Last edited by Iceberg at 01-01-2014 08:14 PM]
01-01-2014 at 08:12 PM
muhabor
I like the game very much. Fantastic dialogues, music, and humour. Also for the first time i experienced different responses depending on who else is present at the time of conversation. Brilliant.
01-04-2014 at 03:38 PM
Page 1 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : Heroine's Quest: The Herald of Ragnarok (v1.2.3 includes Linux version and Russian translation)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com