Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : super dungeon 5 pack (well, each pack will have 4 levels)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
matthewpd
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 62
IP: Logged
icon super dungeon 5 pack (0)  
and there will also be many rooms got it?
;)

Dear cnet members i dont intend to be annoying i just wanna learn. sincerely, mattpd.
and if you mod me down your a Meanie :angry
06-17-2011 at 03:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
matthewpd
icon super dungeon deluxe 5 hold pack (0)  
i mean't superdungeon deluxe 5 hold pack

Dear cnet members i dont intend to be annoying i just wanna learn. sincerely, mattpd.
06-17-2011 at 03:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
west.logan
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 608
icon Re: super dungeon 5 pack (+1)  
Matthew,

I realize that English is probably not your native language, but I'm finding it hard to understand what you are trying to do a good portion of the time.

You posted this in the "feature requests" board, which is for making suggestions as to what you think should be in the next game. "superdungeon deluxe 5 hold pack" isn't a feature request. I don't know what it is actually.

So your posts seem rather random and not very useful to anyone. Why are you here? Do you enjoy playing the game? Do you need help? What is your mission? Your purpose?

Seriously, sometimes I think you're the guy who made that Evil Restaurant hold playing a prank on everyone...

06-17-2011 at 03:08 PM
west.logan
icon Re: super dungeon 5 pack (0)  
da rogu3 wrote:
Well his country is listed as US...

I was just getting the feeling from some of his earliest posts that he had a rather dubious grasp of the English language. Isn't "US" the default option for country? Or the first at very least? My point being, I'm not assuming he filled out his profile correctly.

06-17-2011 at 05:33 PM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Look, the DROD forum has this thing.

We always have exactly one 'kid'.

Jeff_Ray used to be the kid.
Tokyokid was the kid.
We had Anson.

We had Minimike.

What's odd is we only ever seem to have one at a time.
This one will either shape up, or ship out eventually, and then we will immediately get another one who does exactly this.

It's been like this for seven years, won't stop now.
06-18-2011 at 08:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516

[Last edited by Briareos at 06-18-2011 10:45 AM]
06-18-2011 at 10:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rat Man
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 121
Briareos wrote:
Who is that?

06-18-2011 at 07:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
da rogu3
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 491
Rat Man wrote:
Briareos wrote:
Who is that?
The Kid, protagonist of the best platformer in the world. O:-

http://kayin.pyoko.org/iwbtg/
06-18-2011 at 07:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rat Man
I thought the protagonist of the best platform game in the world was Commander Keen...

06-18-2011 at 08:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
west.logan
Whoah, Commander Keen? A.K.A Billy Blaze, 8-year old genius? Been a long time since I've played that game...

Never heard of "IWBTG" before.

06-18-2011 at 08:44 PM
Banjooie
You aren't even old enough to have played Keen in its prime, Rat Man, stop that.

However, you are free to go try IWBTG.
06-18-2011 at 09:09 PM
Rat Man
Banjooie wrote:
You aren't even old enough to have played Keen in its prime, Rat Man, stop that.
I've played all six Commander Keen games because I like old games. Is there something wrong with a guy liking games that are before his time? Next you're gonna tell me that I can't say I like "Casablanca" and nobody can listen to Beethoven because he's before everyone's time!
However, you are free to go try IWBTG.
So I'm not free to play Commander Keen? What are you gonna do about it?

06-18-2011 at 11:34 PM
12th Archivist
Rank Points: 789
Proof that Banjooie's argument-molding skills are not perfect.

Either that, or this was exactly where he wanted this to go.

Funny how the most pointless of threads inevitably turn into the most interesting threads, huh?

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
06-18-2011 at 11:56 PM
Rat Man
12th Archivist wrote:
Funny how the most pointless of threads inevitably turn into the most interesting threads, huh?
I wouldn't call Banjooie's trolling choices "funny"...

06-19-2011 at 12:04 AM
west.logan
Hmm, I like Casablanca, Beethoven (though Bach is my favourite) and Commander Keen. I also like Jules Verne's novels but I'm not quite seeing the connection between them all...

06-19-2011 at 12:13 AM
Rat Man
west.logan wrote:
Hmm, I like Casablanca, Beethoven (though Bach is my favourite) and Commander Keen.
Bach is my favorite too!
I also like Jules Verne's novels but I'm not quite seeing the connection between them all...
The connection is that they are all art that I couldn't have enjoyed in its prime; why can I enjoy old music but not old games? (Unless Banj also thinks there's something wrong with a 14-year-old kid listening to Bach, in which case that's so bull I don't even know where to begin.)

[Last edited by Rat Man at 06-19-2011 12:22 AM]
06-19-2011 at 12:19 AM
west.logan
"Hey Stinko Man! Everybody says you're the guy but...I wanna be the guy too!"

I think Banjooie's just being snarky. I wonder if he's as old as I am (though I wouldn't consider myself ancient by any means).

I say go for it, the old games are sometimes the best.
Just last night I was playing Captain Comic.
I actually /did/ play Commander Keen 1 again very briefly about a month ago, Commander Keen 4 is probably my favourite but 5 was a lot of fun too. 6 and Keen Dreams... not so much.
The original Duke Nukem is also a whole lot of fun.
Jumpman Lives! Is an old game we had on our first computer.
Arctic Adventure (with Nevada Smith, yeah!) was great, and I did go back and play Monuments of Mars and Pharaoh's Tomb after the fact.

I didn't get a console until around the year 2000, at which time I played every NES, SNES, and 64 game I could get my hands on. Big fan of Metroid, Zelda, Mario, and F-Zero. Lots of great old games there... I think my brother and I found every single hidden exit on Super Mario World except one. *sigh* those were good times.

So from me? I'm delighted you want to play these old games. Few growing up these days do and they miss out on a lot of really fun stuff :)

By the way, I just checked and I read Robin Hood for the first time when I was eight. I read a lot when I was younger and still do, just different stuff :)

06-19-2011 at 12:29 AM
Rat Man
west.logan wrote:
I say go for it, the old games are sometimes the best.
Just last night I was playing Captain Comic.
I actually /did/ play Commander Keen 1 again very briefly about a month ago, Commander Keen 4 is probably my favourite but 5 was a lot of fun too. 6 and Keen Dreams... not so much.
The original Duke Nukem is also a whole lot of fun.
Jumpman Lives! Is an old game we had on our first computer.
Arctic Adventure (with Nevada Smith, yeah!) was great, and I did go back and play Monuments of Mars and Pharaoh's Tomb after the fact.
Keen 5 was my favorite, Duke Nukem and Duke Nukem 2 are awesome (although I think when they went 3D Doom was superior) and Jumpman Lives! was hard to get into since it was so hard to control Jumpman properly. Arctic Adventure, Monuments of Mars and Pharaoh's Tomb rule!
I didn't get a console until around the year 2000, at which time I played every NES, SNES, and 64 game I could get my hands on. Big fan of Metroid, Zelda, Mario, and F-Zero. Lots of great old games there... I think my brother and I found every single hidden exit on Super Mario World except one. *sigh* those were good times.
Sounds like you had a lot of fun! I've always been obsessed with The Legend of Zelda series!
So from me? I'm delighted you want to play these old games. Few growing up these days do and they miss out on a lot of really fun stuff :)
I know!!! All but one of my gaming friends seem to think that if a game has old graphics, it must suck in every way! They make that decision with one look at the screen!
By the way, I just checked and I read Robin Hood for the first time when I was eight. I read a lot when I was younger and still do, just different stuff :)
I, too, have always been a reader. I still read some of the stuff I read when I was eight (namely the classics) and right now I'm on King Solomon's Mines. You should reprint that one next; by brother and I looked and looked for it but all we could find was rewrites until we found the original version from Penguin Classics and it was a study edition.

06-19-2011 at 12:58 AM
west.logan
I never actually read King Solomon's Mines, maybe we will indeed look into reprinting it some time if it's not readily available.

06-19-2011 at 01:09 AM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Rat Man wrote:
I've played all six Commander Keen games because I like old games. Is there something wrong with a guy liking games that are before his time? Next you're gonna tell me that I can't say I like "Casablanca" and nobody can listen to Beethoven because he's before everyone's time!
I think Banjooie was trying to object to you objecting to the use of "best" as hyperbole by using "best" as hyperbole yourself. Either that or he was criticizing your choice of best platformer by saying you haven't played enough games to make such pronouncements. Either way I don't agree with how he tried to do it.

06-19-2011 at 02:20 AM
Banjooie
icon Re: super dungeon 5 pack (+2)  
Look. Keen was good! The whole series was, in fact, pretty solid, and I do :D pretty solidly when I see games with the same sort of quality and love put into them.

But it /really/ doesn't get to lay claim to best platformer ever produced. You get to argue that only if you're wearing a thick, thick set of nostalgia goggles.

However, you aren't old enough to have the /nostalgia/ goggles, so the only reasonable conclusion is that you're trying to look like an old-school gamer by picking something that you heard that old-school gamers like.

Thus: you're not old enough to do that, Rat Man.

But okay, now that this thread is firmly about fantastic platformer games, I'm going to bring up the ones that are firmly the best ones ever, and to be extra useful, I'm going to focus on ones you probably haven't heard of.

Plok! This. This, right here. Nintendo Hard in the SNES era, fantastic soundtrack, and you threw your goddamn limbs at people. Before Rayman did it, and with the added puzzle element of sometimes you didn't get them back afterwards for a while! Apparently the creators still make things..?

Star Control 2 is.. ....a classic. I shouldn't have to introduce this one.

Bubsy! The first one. Only the first one. Not the second one, or any of the spinoffs. Honestly, it tried to be a bad ripoff of Sonic, was stupidly hard, and was full of horrible instadeath kills everywhere, and had some of the least navigable levels in history. But oh my god, when you died, it was creative. You didn't just go 'whoops' and fall off the screen. No, if an enemy jumped on you, you accordion-walked away. If you got hit by a spike, you popped and flew around the screen like a balloon. If you jumped into an open convertible, you...had the roof slammed on and you helplessly pounded on the window as it drove away? /KINDA CREEPY/. But still, amazing. Also, I guess he wisecracked a lot, and UFOs with a central focal point of 'giant ball of yarn' are awesome.

also this is recent but holy crap

I don't know, those are pretty much my prime examples of 'amazing things done in platform games'

[Last edited by Banjooie at 06-19-2011 12:14 PM]
06-19-2011 at 12:02 PM
da rogu3
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 491
Banjooie wrote:
However, you aren't old enough to have the /nostalgia/ goggles, so the only reasonable conclusion is that you're trying to look like an old-school gamer by picking something that you heard that old-school gamers like.

Thus: you're not old enough to do that, Rat Man.
Why take things so literally, all he said was the word 'best', it's not that big a deal, nothing wrong with having an opinion, no matter how much evidence there is behind it. You make fun of his age practically everywhere.

Besides that, if we're on the topic of platformer games, I gotta mention Braid, VVVVVV, and Super Meat Boy, as some of my favourites (although they are quite recent)
06-19-2011 at 12:08 PM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Wait, this thread is about platformers? I thought it was about superdungeon deluxe 5 hold pack!!!.

Whatever that is.

On the one hand, I really want matthewpd to explain what the blazes he was talking about. And on the other hand, I hate to encourage him to post more. (I mean, yes, Jeff_Ray... used to be the forum's kid, but he was always more coherent and productive than whatever this is.)
06-19-2011 at 12:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
I'm going to agree with those choices as being generally fantastic, but if we're going to bring up Braid, I have only one thing to do.

I have to suggest Eversion. There's a free version here if you despise throwing money at people.

in response to why precisely I tend to choose Rat Man's chronologic inadequacy as my primary target, this is mostly because that's something he is guaranteed to improve over time, whereas his other foibles are things that he's been gradually actually improving on pretty well thus far.

If you're going to ask 'well why are you making fun of him', well, you don't seem to hold up to it very well, matthewpd is clearly a strong, upstanding contributor to this forum I can hold absolutely nothing against, west.logan just really, really likes resurrecting dead threads I guess?

And try as I might, I'm not going to come up with an elaborate burn on Briareos for being bad at gif transparency. You would sure show me up but good if you came up with an elaborate burn regarding GIF transparency, though. Boy howdy, please don't do that, my ego could not take it.
06-19-2011 at 12:20 PM
matthewpd
I told you there is 5 Holds with 4 levels
so there will be totally 20 levels

06-19-2011 at 01:00 PM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Only 20 :( I want, like, infinite +6 with zombies... and a toaster... and ray-gun'ed puppies (ketchup too (and a potato face person)) (and no inside jokes - I hate those)
06-19-2011 at 01:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
west.logan
Banjooie wrote:
west.logan just really, really likes resurrecting dead threads I guess?

I think you said that before and I'm still confused as to why. I don't know of any old threads I've resurrected except for commenting on holds. Which one(s) meanest thou?
Now I will post in threads that have been recently resurrected, but I didn't do it myself.

Thanks for the Eversion link. I'll look into that.

06-19-2011 at 02:19 PM
matthewpd
im building these on AE edition

06-19-2011 at 03:40 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
matthewpd wrote:
im building these on AE edition
Oh, so you're making a hold. That's cool. I look forward to seeing you accept constructive feedback to make your work better.

06-19-2011 at 06:43 PM
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
Banjooie wrote:
Star Control 2 is.. ....a classic. I shouldn't have to introduce this one.
Platformer? Regardless, it's a great game.
also this is recent but holy crap
Wow. Thank you for this, I hadn't seen it yet. I recall something like this but exclusive on a console I don't have a couple years ago maybe, awesome to see a free version of the same idea!

[Last edited by Schik at 06-19-2011 09:29 PM]
06-19-2011 at 09:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : super dungeon 5 pack (well, each pack will have 4 levels)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com