Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : AniMusic (Pipe Dream)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
trick
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2580
IP: Logged
icon AniMusic (+1)  
I was randomly browsing through archive.org's moving images collection today, when I suddenly ran into this, which I thought I'd share with you (get the mpeg2 file if you've got the bandwidth). Pretty impressive stuff. Hey, maybe this is how music is made in the Eighth ? :P

Also, while we're on the subject of perfectly synced music and video (I love that stuff), check out Kahvi's video releases. Neat (but somewhat strange :)).

- Gerry

[Edited by trick on 07-15-2004 at 09:24 PM GMT]
07-15-2004 at 10:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DiMono
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1181
icon Re: AniMusic (0)  
That 65.1mb mpeg2 file registers as audio only over here... just so y'all know.

Great fun to watch that though, saved it to my computer. The mpeg4 one, I mean.

07-16-2004 at 12:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Zmann
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 241
Yeah, that was pretty cool... too bad you couldn't make one in real life. If the balls were deformed just a little bit, or the things they hit were off by just a bit, the physics would be off, and the balls would fall everywhere.

Making a ball shooter that accurate wouldn't be much of an easy task either.

[Edited by Zmann on 07-16-2004 at 04:14 PM GMT]
07-16-2004 at 05:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DiMono
...wait, you mean it wasn't live action? MY WORLD IS SHATTERED!

07-16-2004 at 07:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
It's a cool animation, but there is no way that could ever be live.

There are too many frictional forces such as air resistance acting on the balls for such a thing to be feasible, and all of the instruments are moving, so (with particular note to the strings and the moving xylophone blocks) the movement will affect the momentum of the ball and should change the direction of it. As Zmann said as well, the propulsion of such balls is also not really feasible, since they are supposedly made of steel and so the forces needed to propel them will definitely be succeptible to error, while even tiny errors in them or the instruments will cause direction deviations.

It's definitely an animation - balls don't defy the laws of physics, and neither do musical instruments.

Plus, the title screen does say "Music driven computer animation". :)

[Edited by agaricus5 on 07-16-2004 at 07:10 PM GMT]

07-16-2004 at 08:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5383
If you've got something in the Radeon 9500/9700 family of graphics cards, go here and get a demo of Pipe Dreams that's rendered in real-time. It's pretty impressive.

07-16-2004 at 11:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
DiMono
I have a Radeon 7200, and I've decided to become insane and download it anyway. Let's see if my computer actually explodes...

Edit: wouldn't even run, my card doesn't support it. Ah well.

[Edited by DiMono on 07-17-2004 at 12:43 AM GMT]

07-17-2004 at 01:26 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
But are you still insane? Inquiring minds want to know.

This reminds me of this billiard ball run we used to have where I worked. It had a couple of motors, and it would drag billiard balls up to the top of the cage and set them on a marble run, with various switches sending them to different branches of the run... or holding the balls until released by another billiard ball... or released on one of about ten different little stunt runs, where they'd whirl around in little circles or chase one another or go down a little cyclone or chime out the quarter-hour. It was really, really cool, and I want one. I'll take a photo/video next time I'm up there.

Matt

[Edited by Mattcrampy on 07-19-2004 at 03:28 PM GMT]

07-19-2004 at 04:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Penumbra
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 358
Zmann wrote:
too bad you couldn't make one in real life.

Looks like Intel and Sisu did the impossible. YouTube

Multi camera angle Intel-ad version: link

These are touch sensor synth instruments instead of "real" percussion instruments, and the balls are left to hit the floor instead of being caught by return tubes, but impressive nonetheless!

I've seen a few of the different videos, and have yet to see one where the audience looks even a bit excited. One even ends with a person saying "is that all it does." What do they want?

10-10-2014 at 06:32 PM
jessiereal24
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 9
icon Re: AniMusic (-1)  
Are you referring to anime music here?
10-21-2014 at 09:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : AniMusic (Pipe Dream)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com