Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : Aspects of a great RPG hold (A multiple question poll)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
What makes a RPG hold good/fun to play?
Playing to get the highest score
Playing for completion
Playing to find all the secrets
Playing to beat the puzzler
Other
What is the best way to make holds fun?
Narrow margins (There is only one way to win)
Vast choices
A good combination of 1& 2
Using elements to make interesting puzzles
Other
Is RPG fun to play?
I just get too frustrated with it.
It has it's merits
I like it better than DROD
Pressing Vote will vote for all of the questions. Make sure you have voted in each one!
Note: Viewing results forfeits your right to vote.
Poster Message
The spitemaster
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 354
IP: Logged
icon Aspects of a great RPG hold (+2)  
I am banging my head on a RPG hold that is hard for me to build. I am looking for some input to see how best to build it. I read the handbook on how to make the puzzles. However, I am running across a unique problem that is not addressed. Mainly, my ability as a builder is having a hard time constraining the limits of the problem. Hopefully this will help me out.

I wish that man would stay away
04-28-2011 at 10:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1486
icon Re: Aspects of a great RPG hold (+1)  
Wouldn't it be better to have a poll were you can check multiple items, or were you can vote for how importent certain aspects are on a scale from one to ten? I like DROD RPG, and it should encourage choises. I think multiple endings are a quite nice way of incorperating multiple dificultylevels.

I don't like secrets very much. I want to have all the information accesible. It feels more fair.

[Last edited by Blondbeard at 04-30-2011 08:52 PM]
04-30-2011 at 08:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
icon Re: Aspects of a great RPG hold (0)  
I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve here, but an advice I'd like to give is that you should make a hold that you yourself think is fun. If you try to add everything into it you'll end up with "Design by committee".

Some other things that I would consider:

1. Confusion is never fun. Are too many choices really that fun? If I go to an Italian ice cream shop with 50 choices of ice cream I only get confused.
2. This "One correct path" thing is not a real indicator of fun. I'd say it's a (partial) indicator of difficulty.
3. If I have no idea what goal I'm trying to achieve, I get confused. If I have no indication of progress, I get frustrated.
4. If you're trying to present a really good/hard puzzle to the player, then don't distract them by putting the many options in different rooms all over the level, or using a maze format.

[Last edited by Tim at 05-02-2011 02:52 AM : renumber]
05-02-2011 at 02:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
west.logan
Rank Points: 608
icon Re: Aspects of a great RPG hold (+2)  
I've played the TT demo and a couple of the user holds. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong but with some of the user holds I found I became frustrated when I would progress several rooms and find that I really ought to have conserved HP in one area, or perhaps shouldn't have conserved HP to get over lava, all things that seem to require prior knowledge of what was ahead. And without a restore feature (at least I couldn't see how to restore to particular rooms) I found myself starting the game over too many times in order to get it right.

I would prefer more room-based and architecture-based puzzles than level-based puzzles that require mental calculations of HP and Attack and restarting.

05-12-2011 at 09:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
icon Re: Aspects of a great RPG hold (0)  
You can't restore individual rooms, but you /can/ save obsessively. I heartily suggest saving obsessively, but even so you're going to find out that you have to restart anyway, a lot.

It's just sort of a thing that comes with the game.
05-13-2011 at 06:43 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : Aspects of a great RPG hold (A multiple question poll) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com