Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : Guess the meaning! (A cucumbersome game)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Rat Man
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 121
IP: Logged
icon Guess the meaning! (+1)  
Guess the meaning of made-up words. Mine:
Cucumbersome
Frankering
monkiness

04-27-2011 at 11:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
west.logan
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 608
icon Re: Guess the meaning! (+1)  
1. a difficult or awkward situation involving a pickle.
2. tossing hot dogs at a wedding instead of rice.
3. a loch monster who takes to the trees.

04-27-2011 at 11:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rat Man
icon Re: Guess the meaning! (0)  
1. Correct.
2. Not even close.
3. Also not even close.

04-27-2011 at 11:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
They're made up words. They don't mean anything.
04-29-2011 at 12:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1300
See, that's not entirely correct. They don't mean anything to you, they don't mean anything to me, but they might mean something to someone else. A word doesn't have to be in the dictionary to have meaning. Your point, however, is entirely accurate.
04-29-2011 at 02:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
3. the quality of being like a monkey, not to be confused with monkness, which is that of being like a monk

04-29-2011 at 02:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rat Man
What?? They don't mean anything?! They could mean anything or everything! They mean whatever the creator of the word wants. Like "orc" or "lightsaber" or "agnostic" (yes, that was made up on the spot). I thought you would have grokked this by now.

And Jatopian is correct 100% all the way down to the monkness.

04-29-2011 at 03:57 AM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1300
Actually, what the inventor thinks doesn't mean anything at all. It's all what people use it for. Unless you're the French, who have a committee for their language.
04-29-2011 at 07:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
icon Re: Guess the meaning! (+3)  
Rat Man wrote:
What?? They don't mean anything?! They could mean anything or everything! They mean whatever the creator of the word wants. Like "orc" or "lightsaber" or "agnostic" (yes, that was made up on the spot). I thought you would have grokked this by now.
Yes, yes, I'm actually fully aware that, first of all, every word has to have been made up at some point*, and second of all, that many such words are entirely cromulent. (In other words: "Back off, man, I'm a scientist.")

I was just obliquely questioning the idea of "guess what I'm thinking of" being any fun. Also, "monkiness" is incorrect, if it pertains to monkeys; the proper noun form would be "monkeyness". (You can't deny the inherent humanness of people as opposed to the inherent monkeyness of marmosets.) "Monkiness" is the property of being monky, and monky means "resembling a monk", so "monkiness" is "the state of being like a monk". ("I wanted to like the class I took from Brother Francis, but in the end his monkiness got in the way of his open-mindedness during discussions.") You're welcome to make up words, but the rules of English morphology are still the rules of English morphology.

*This is only true of English. French words are not made up; they're uncovered in word mines near Lyons and shipped to factories in Paris, where they undergo rigorous testing for authenticity. Words that don't meet the standards of the Academie Française are exported to Belgium.

[Last edited by Tahnan at 04-29-2011 07:21 AM]
04-29-2011 at 07:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
Someone Else wrote:
[...]they don't mean anything to me, but they might mean something to someone else[...]

Am I the only one who noticed this?

04-29-2011 at 09:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
west.logan
Rank Points: 608
skell wrote:
Someone Else wrote:
[...]they don't mean anything to me, but they might mean something to someone else[...]

Am I the only one who noticed this?

Ha, that is pretty funny.

Words convey ideas and meaning only if they are understood. That understanding comes in several ways: context, a dictionary (or being told the meaning), or the inherent form of the word being similar to a word you're already familiar with.

If a word, by itself, "means" several things to several different people, then it has no meaning and little value. Your made-up words might have value in a certain type of story, but by themselves they don't.

04-29-2011 at 01:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Tahnan wrote:
Also, "monkiness" is incorrect, if it pertains to monkeys; the proper noun form would be "monkeyness". (You can't deny the inherent humanness of people as opposed to the inherent monkeyness of marmosets.) "Monkiness" is the property of being monky, and monky means "resembling a monk", so "monkiness" is "the state of being like a monk". ("I wanted to like the class I took from Brother Francis, but in the end his monkiness got in the way of his open-mindedness during discussions.") You're welcome to make up words, but the rules of English morphology are still the rules of English morphology.
While I agree with you, I felt like that was a bit much to slam on a kid playing a game, so I just made a guess at what he was probably thinking. D: oh well~

04-29-2011 at 03:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Jatopian wrote:
While I agree with you, I felt like that was a bit much to slam on a kid playing a game...
You're never to young to learn linguistics! A foundation in the morphology of English is the foundation for a better life. No, really.
04-30-2011 at 04:20 AM
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
Tahnan wrote:
Jatopian wrote:
While I agree with you, I felt like that was a bit much to slam on a kid playing a game...
You're never to young to learn linguistics! A foundation in the morphology of English is the foundation for a better life. No, really.
True, but sometimes just monkiing around is fun. I should know.

04-30-2011 at 04:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
da rogu3
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 491
icon Re: Guess the meaning! (+2)  
Tahnan wrote:
You're never too young to learn linguistics! A foundation in the morphology of English is the foundation for a better life. No, really.
Fixed
04-30-2011 at 09:17 AM
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
This thread had all the appeal of a newt, but then it got better.

04-30-2011 at 01:35 PM
Rat Man
icon Re: Guess the meaning! (+3)  
I think you're missing my point. A made-up word means exactly what it is used for. What defines the meaning of a word? Its usage! Not a dictionary, not scientist, the people who use the word. While this doesn't really apply to a word that some dumb kid thought up on the spot, it is much easier to say "Guess the meaning!" than "Guess what Rat Man is using these made-up words to mean!"

And as for this game not being any fun, I often make game threads that would be fun for me. I would find this fun if someone else did it and did not realize that others would not agree.

And what's the big idea?! Everywhere I go, my threads and the threads I post on turn into an argument about something entirely unrelated. I think I'm cursed!*

*I don't actually believe that and do not want to get into an argument over whether or not there's such a thing as a curse.

04-30-2011 at 04:09 PM
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
Rat Man wrote:
And as for this game not being any fun, I often make game threads that would be fun for me. I would find this fun if someone else did it and did not realize that others would not agree.

And what's the big idea?! Everywhere I go, my threads and the threads I post on turn into an argument about something entirely unrelated. I think I'm cursed!*

*I don't actually believe that and do not want to get into an argument over whether or not there's such a thing as a curse.
His words ring true. Lighten up, everybody. Sheesh.

04-30-2011 at 07:02 PM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
A better way to play this game would be to make up words and then use them in a sentence or paragraph, so that it wasn't just blind guessing.

And check them in a dictionary first.
05-01-2011 at 04:19 AM
Rat Man
Great idea, NiroZ!

For the one I have left, "So, what should we have for lunch today?" "I've got a real frankering" "Sounds good to me!"

05-01-2011 at 10:56 PM
Lamkin
Rank Points: 606
A hankering for a hot dog/frankfurter?
05-02-2011 at 03:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rat Man
Yup! :D What're yours?

05-02-2011 at 08:43 PM
Tahnan
My favorite personal coinage is "tumbrella", which is an umbrella left on the T (Boston's subway system) by some previous passenger who'll never come back for it, making it yours, until of course you yourself take it on the T and forget it, thus continuing the eternal life cycle of the tumbrella.

No one else will ever use it, but I like it.

You are, I suppose, welcome to try to guess what it means when my friends and I say "Look, a yak!".
05-03-2011 at 09:22 AM
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911

File: yak.gif (133.6 KB)
Downloaded 214 times.
License: Public Domain
Tahnan wrote:
You are, I suppose, welcome to try to guess what it means when my friends and I say "Look, a yak!".

You were visiting Tibet and saw a funny, long-haired animal??

[Last edited by larrymurk at 05-03-2011 03:46 PM]
05-03-2011 at 03:45 PM
Rat Man
I'll use "tumbrella" if I ever live on Boston, where it would be relevant!

05-03-2011 at 05:23 PM
skell
Rank Points: 3734
How do you call an umbrella which was left in a clothes shop, hanging among belts? Fabbrela?

For curious souls, it was left in a shop which was not selling this kind, nor even similar umbrellas. I later found they were sold by a completely different shop.

05-03-2011 at 08:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : Guess the meaning! (A cucumbersome game)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com